Grandma would say cold water, while mom would say hot water, and this can be very confusing. So what is the best way to wash hair?
Should One Wash Hair With Cold Or Hot Water?
We have to find out the answer to which is the best way to wash hair and fast, because extreme temperatures and keeping the climes in check can do more harm than good to our hair. Let’s take a look at what research has to say on the best way to wash hair.
[Also Read: Reverse Hair Washing Is The Ideal Way]
From The World Of Science
Beauty and science are interrelated no doubt, and today we shall look at how to manage our hair with the best hair wash using either cold water or hot water.
When You Wash With Cold Water
Quite often and during the harsh Indian summer months, we tend to immerse ourselves in cold water for comfort and relief. There are studies that show washing hair with cold water benefits the hair, and here are some examples.
1. Washing hair with cold water makes your hair shiny and less frizzy. This is because the hair cuticles are closed and the hair is saved with the cold water. You only need your hair cuticles to open when shampooing and conditioning of the hair happens, not otherwise. In other times, you would need the cuticles of the hair to be sealed so that no damages happen to the hair. You may use cold water for the final hair wash, which brings a shine and sheen to the hair and keeps the hair healthy for a longer time.
[Also Read: Co Washing Hair Techniques]
2. Cold water is known to keep the scalp clean and healthy, sans the build-up too. The pores are shut and less vulnerable as well. When you rinse your hair with the help of cold water, you in turn protect the pores on the scalp and get rid of grease, oil, dirt and grime. This helps in acting as sealants to the hair cuticles and thereby less hair fall, hair shedding and hair loss happens.
3. Cold water hair wash helps improve circulation on the scalp, since blood cells move faster when cold water comes in contact. This movement thus ensures that the cold water helps warm up the capillaries of the hair and also to provide plenty of nutrition to the hair follicles too which helps the hair stay healthy and nice. In turn, you wouldn’t have to bother about hair loss and hair fall as well.
What Happens When We Wash With Hot Water?
Winter months are when we use hot water to clean our hair and scalp, but sometimes what proves as comfort can be harmful for the hair too. However, there are washing hair with hot water benefits and disadvantages to be bothered about-
1. With extreme hot water, the hair can break easily and the hair texture takes a beating too. hair gets very resilient and when you brush your hair right after the shower in hot water, your hair breaks away without fail. Now you know why we say never brush if the hair is wet, especially after a warm shower?
2. Hot water can damage the hair roots on serious counts, and cause multiple hair problems, since it weakens the hair roots. A week hair root is an invitation to hair loss and baldness if left unchecked. Hot water makes the hair curl and also frizzes up the hair too, and can lead to premature graying of the hair as well- enough said!
3. Talking about the positives of hot hair washes, we would look at hot water opening the hair cuticles, cleansing the scalp and conditioning the hair too. No more greasy buildup in the hair for sure, hot water in small amounts can help- NOT VERY HOT WATER though!
[Also Read: Hair Styles For Bad-Hair-Days]
Beer Hair Wash
Can you believe that beer has the tendency of promoting hair growth? Yes! The most sought after alcoholic beverage triggers fresh hair growth and also softens the texture of the hair. The prime ingredients i.e. vitamin B and the proteins in the malt and hops mend the damaged hair effectively.
Few other benefits include, controlling dry scalp and tightening of hair cuticles with the sugars present in the beer. The key ingredient silica present in beer improves the volume of the hair and makes it look thicker.
Looking for recipes on washing hair with beer? Scroll down and get amazed.
- After mild shampooing, use beer as a conditioner and rinse the hair. Ensure that the beer reaches the scalp as it helps enhancing the nutrients of the scalp and promotes blood circulation. Cover it with a towel for 30-45 minutes and now rinse the hair with regular water to eliminate the stink of beer from the hair.
- Alternate beer rinse technique involves washing hair and scalp with beer after the hair has been thoroughly washed and towel dried. Gently massage the scalp and hair with beer for 15 minutes and wash it off with clean water. This technique improvises the texture of the hair making it more soft, voluminous and shining.
Hair Masks With Beer
Can you believe that the answer to how to wash hair without water is right here. Replace water with beer in most of your homemade hair masks. In addition to the natural ingredients that promote hair growth, beer adds shine, softness and various other benefits to the hair. Here is one of the hair masks with beer that you can try.
To the yolk of one egg, add 100ml organic beer and blend it well. To begin with start applying this mixture on the scalp and move on to the hair strands. Cover it with a shower cap or towel for 20-25 minutes. Slowly rinse of the smell and stickiness with plain water.
The beer shampoo acts as a hair cleanser and can be prepared at home in the following way.
Take 1 cup of beer in a pan and boil it for 15 minutes till it becomes half its measure. Cool it off and now add this beer to 1 cup of shampoo. Mix it thoroughly and your beer shampoo is ready.
Beer is well-suited for oily hair than normal or color-treated hair as the alcohol helps in making the oily hair dry and healthy.
[Also Read: How To Make Yourself Sneeze]
Shampooing Of Hair
When asked how to wash hair, each and every one of us have a different answer, don’t we? Using the right technique in washing hair will lead to bouncy, healthy and shining hair. Here we are to elaborate the simple procedure of washing hair with shampoo with cues tossed here and there.
1. Oil Before Shampoo
The age-old technique of oiling the hair and scalp before the shower works wonders. The shampoos are known to contain chemicals that are harmful to the hair strands, hence oiling will ensure the health of the hair is intact.
2. Begin With A Rinse
Slow and easy, this is the first step to clean hair. Wet your hair before shampooing with hot water that will open the hair cuticles and remove dirt. Do not use too hot water. With warm water, the hair opens the cuticles and allows the oils to seep out. It also opens up to absorbing the oils of the conditioner.
3. Long Hair Bearers – Condition First
Women who have hair that falls down their shoulders, condition the ends of the hair strands so that they don’t dry out while shampooing. This will fill the hair with moisture keeping the hair soft and smooth.
4. Wash The Scalp
Shampooing of hair involves mainly rinsing the scalp. Take sufficient amount of shampoo and wash the oily parts of the hair i.e. the scalp and nape of the neck.
5. Be Gentle
Do not apply pressure while rinsing your hair with shampoo. Start gently lathering the roots and move towards the scalp. Give your scalp vertical strokes to promote blood circulation. Avoid circular strokes that will tangle your hair and lead to breakage.
6. Condition Appropriately
When you are done washing your hair, squeeze out the water from the hair before applying conditioner. Apply the conditioner evenly on the hair and pin your tresses up. Finish your shower and now rinse off the conditioner from your hair.
7. Tighten The Cuticles
Lastly, rinse your hair with cold water that will tighten the hair cuticles and seal all the oils and nutrients. It will cause the hair to shine effectively.
8. Air Dry Hair
Do not towel dry the hair as it will cause breakage of the hair. Instead squeeze out excess water from the hair and allow it to air dry.
No Shampoo Technique
If your hair gets greasy along the course of the day, you might be looking for techniques that will help eliminate the issue. The best way to eliminate the excess secretion of scalp sebum is to avoid using shampoo.
Yes! Here is how to wash your hair without shampoo. Rinse your hair with cold water and apply serum later to detangle the tresses and for softer look.
Now that you know the pros and cons of washing hair with cold and hot water and also the alternate remedies of washing hair, let us know which one have you opted for and how best did it serve you.
This time we spoke about the pros and cons of washing hair with hot and cold water. The next time though we would talk in detail about the mistakes washing hair, watch this space!