Wheat germ oil can benefit your overall body system. How you wonder? It promotes healthy heart, controls diabetes, helps with weight loss, strengthens hair, soothes skin, and treats acne, including others.
Though it is quite safe to use wheat germ oil, it is best to consult a doctor before adding it to your diet.
What is wheat germ oil?
Wheat germ oil is derived from a wheat kernel which helps the plant to reproduce new wheat. Even though it is not used in most processed wheat products, it is the main nutritional part of whole grain wheat. Wheat gram and husk is eliminated from refined wheat products and can be stored for longer period of time.
Wheat gram is added to granolas, cornbread, cereals, and is also available in raw form. It is also a common topping option for fruit pies, ice cream, yogurt, and cereal. Wheat gram is also a healthier option with breadcrumbs.
Wheat gram is also available in liquid and gel forms. It can be used as a nutritional supplement or as a dietary addition. Its oil also makes a great ingredient for cooking, improving skin texture, and promoting healthy hair when applied topically.
Wheat Germs vs. Wheat Bran
- Wheat bran is also known as miller’s bran and is part of the wheat kerne,l which is stripped away during processing.
- Wheat germ is the origin of wheat kernel and offers a concentrated dose of vitamins and minerals. They are comprised of the hard outer shell of wheat berry, which is packed with fiber.
- Wheat gram oil is added to hot and cold cereals, casseroles, smoothies, and baked goods. It is a simple way to boost fiber and nutrient content.
- Both wheat germ and wheat gram have similarities. For example, they are high in selenium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium.
- Wheat germ provides an array of vitamins and minerals while wheat bran is lower in calories and contains three times as much fiber.
- Wheat bran is best used for an added burst of fiber and for increasing satiety. But if you are looking to round up your diet and obtain needed vitamins and minerals, you can opt for wheat gram instead.
Wheat Germ Nutritional Facts:
Wheat germ is packed with fiber and protein as well as micronutrients like selenium, manganese, folate, thiamine, and zinc.
One ounce (28 grams) of wheat germ contains approximately:
- 101 calories
- 14.5 grams carbohydrate
- 6.5 grams protein
- 2.7 grams fat
- 3.7 grams fiber
- 3.7 milligrams manganese (186 percent DV)
- 0.5 milligram thiamine (35 percent DV)
- 22.2 micrograms selenium (32 percent DV)
- 236 milligrams phosphorus (24 percent DV)
- 3.4 milligrams zinc (23 percent DV)
- 78.7 micrograms folate (20 percent DV)
- 0.4 milligram vitamin B6 (18 percent DV)
- 66.9 milligrams magnesium (17 percent DV)
- 0.2 milligrams copper (11 percent DV)
- 1.9 milligrams niacin (10 percent DV)
- 1.8 milligrams iron (10 percent DV)
- Milligram riboflavin (8 percent DV)
- 250 milligrams potassium (7 percent DV)
- 0.6 milligram pantothenic acid (6 percent DV)
Benefits and uses of wheat germ oil
Wheat germ oil is used by people suffering from high blood pressure, heart problem, diabetes, obesity, skin problems, dry hair, memory loss, psoriasis, and other health ailments.
1. High in Antioxidants
The oil present in wheat gram oil is rich in Vitamin E known as tocopherol, which works as an antioxidant. These antioxidants are compounds which help in protecting our body from free radicals and other harmful substances leading to chronic diseases. Taking wheat gram with a combination of a healthy diet rich in antioxidants like fruits and vegetables can fight off chronic diseases and promote overall health. Wheat gram also contains antioxidant properties which can help to prevent several diseases like heart problems and cancer. It can also help to reduce ageing signs like fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin and hair texture, and sun burnt skin.
2. Promotes Regularity
Including wheat gram into your diet can increase your intake of dietary fiber. You can add a little amount of wheat gram into your oatmeal, yogurt, or smoothie. Just one ounce of wheat gram is said to contain about four grams of fiber. When you include the wheat gram oil, it allows your body to digest food faster and prevent constipation. It is suggested that men and women take 30-38 and 21-25 grams of fiber. You can add the oil to fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to meet your fiber requirements.
3. Reduces Cholesterol
The use of wheat gram oil helps to balance off cholesterol level to a good extent and increase blood circulation to maintain a healthy heart. The increase in blood circulation can also help to improve skin and hair health.
4. Boosts Energy
Wheat gram oil is packed with primary saturated alcohol known as octacosanol that can improve the muscular energy. For this reason, wheat gram oil is a popular choice for athletic persons. It boosts energy during workout sessions and keeps you energetic.
5. Improves Heart Health
Wheat germ oil has a rich presence of Omega-3, which can lower cholesterol levels and promote blood circulation. This can decrease blood pressure and lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, strokes, and other heart ailments. An increase in blood circulation can ensure proper growth and development several body parts. The oil also contains a high level of Omega-6 fatty acids and can help with high cholesterol problems.
6. Heal Dry Cracked Skin
Wheat germ oil gets easily absorbed into the skin, which also makes it an excellent moisturizer. Its oil provides a healthy fusion of Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin B, antioxidants, and fatty acids when applied to your skin. These nutrients moisturize dry cracked skin and prevent scarring. In addition, wheat germ oil for skin is a rich source of Vitamin E which can help in reducing skin damage, fight against free radicals, support healthy collagen production, and maintain an even skin tone.
7. Dry Hair Treatment
Our scalp secrets oil to moisturize our hair, but this oil also builds up around our scalp. Those with long hair will notice their roots are oily but the rest of their hair is dry and brittle. In this case, you can make use of wheat germ oil which is comprised of fatty acids to treat hair dryness and restore moisture. The wheat germ oil for hair is used in hair treatments and masks to condition and soften hair.
8. Block Cancer Growth
Wheat germ oil has a rich content of antioxidants and is beneficial for the treatment of cancer. Avemar, also known as fermented wheat germ extract has also shown positive results for cancer prevention. Studies on cancer have shown that Avemar possess potent anti-tumor properties to help with cell death in several types of human cancer cells. There is more research needed to be done for evaluating the effectiveness of wheat germ oil for cancer treatments.
9. Helps with weight gain
If you want to gain a few pounds, then you can include few servings of wheat germ to help you. Each ounce contains 101 calories; hence a few servings daily can help to increase your calorie intake and lead to weight gain. But if you are looking to lose weight but still want to include wheat germ into your diet, then you can easily do so. Wheat germ is a healthy substitute of any diet inspite of all weight loss goals. You can adjust your intake of other food choices daily.
10. Prevents Birth Defects
Wheat germ oil can prevent several types of birth defects like impotence and miscarriage. It has a high content of Vitamin E. This oil is also recommendable for pregnant women as it provides several benefits and prevents birth defects. It can also boost health red blood cells.
11. Regulates Nervous System
Wheat germ oil helps in improving mood due to the presence of Omega-3 fatty acids, which help to regulate the nervous system. The oil can also keep you energized and reduce stress levels to a great extent as it is packed with Vitamin-B complex.
12. Eliminate Skin Inflammation
You can apply wheat germ oil to inflamed and irritated skin. The oil contains high levels of tocopherols which help to nourish skin and stimulate blood flow. It can also prevent skin inflammation and swelling in affected areas. This can make the oil an effective remedy for psoriasis, eczema, and other common skin conditions.
13. Improve Cognitive Health
The combination of Vitamin E, A, and other antioxidants present in wheat germ oil can improve brain health. By reducing the effect of free radical activities in neural pathways and preventing the deposition of beta-amyloid plaque, these antioxidants can improve memory and attention span. It can lower the risk of neurodegenerative diseases.
14. Improves Hair Health
Wheat gram oil is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids also known as linoleic acid, which can nourish hair. While the oil is used for massaging scalp in diluted form or mixed in hair products, it can improve the appearance of hair strength and prevent premature hair loss and dandruff.
15. Repairs Tissues
Wheat germ is packed with Vitamin B which can help to repair tissue damage and tissue growth. It can also allow in infusing minerals, vitamins, and nutrients into our cells.
How to Use Wheat Germ Oil
The daily use of wheat germ oil can provide you with a healthy and disease-free life. It can help to prevent several diseases, decrease stress levels, and keep you energized. Hence, if you want to lead a healthy life, then include three cups of wheat daily into diet. You can also add wheat germ oil to your diet for getting benefits like:
- Wheat germ oil has a rich flavor and texture. It can make a delicious treat for your diet.
- It is commonly found in powder form which can be used as sprinklers for oatmeal, baked foods, and protein shakes. It can boost the nutritional and health benefits of all meals.
- Wheat germ oil is naturally present in all whole wheat products like whole wheat breads, flours, baked goods, and cereals. A product can be considered whole wheat if it contains all wheat kernel parts, including bran and germ.
- Select product labels certified as 100% whole wheat. This way you can get the highest nutritional value.
- Look out for whole wheat in the ingredients label and not ‘wheat’ or ‘wheat flour.’
- If you are looking for wheat germ at your health food store, then you can find it in the oatmeal or cereal section. Additionally, you can find it in a variety of online retailers.
- You can also make use of wheat germ oil for face to reduce skin damage, support collagen formation and maintain skin tone.
- Baking cookies, breads, and waffles.
- Sprinkling over ice creams, soups, salads, yogurt, and cereals.
- Wheat germ is a source of Vitamin E and is known for its antioxidant properties. Another alternative is wheat germ oil capsules. The wheat germ oil capsules are used for promoting health and treating a number of health problems like boosting immune system and treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Wheat Germ Precautions:
- Even though wheat gram is packed with essential vitamins and minerals, it may not be a beneficial dietary supplement for all. Those people who suffer from gluten sensitivity, wheat allergy, and celiac disease should avoid it because it can lead to adverse effects.
- Gluten is present in most varieties including defatted wheat germ. In addition, the refined process excludes gluten from wheat germ oil and may still contain small quantities. Those suffering from sensitivity or intolerance should avoid taking it altogether.
- Some people may experience symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, allergic reaction after eating wheat germ. You should discontinue the use of it immediately and consult your doctor.
Wheat germ oil provides rich nutrients present in wheat kernel. Besides, it offers a great amount of selenium, thiamine, manganese, and other essential nutrients to promote heart health and balance blood sugar levels. For getting a good amount of whole grains into your diet, you can add few tsp of wheat gram to improve your health. Other than that, you can also add fruits, veggies, and whole grains along with wheat gram.