Diarrhea is not a pleasant illness. If you need to be at a place, or have an important meeting to attend, it may not be easy for you.
Wondering how to tackle it?
Here are some home remedies to relieve you of diarrhea.
Check them out:
What is Diarrhea?
Down with abnormally loose or watery stools? That is diarrhea, which lasts for a couple of days and disappears later on.
However, frequent passing of stools of ‘normal consistency’ is not diarrhea.
Know what causes diarrhea? A virus which infects the gut.
Diarrhea is also called “stomach flu” or “intestinal flu”.
- Excess of Alcohol: Also called Alcohol abuse, careless consumption of alcohol can lead to loose motions and vomiting.
- Allergies to certain food items: It can either be spicy food or food eaten from roadside vendors.
- Intestinal disease such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis.
- Hyperthyroidism meaning overactive thyroid
- Mal-absorption of nutrients. In other words, when there is trouble in absorption of nutrients by the body
- Adverse reaction to a drug or medication
- Infection (Viral, Bacterial or Parasitic)
- Surgery of the gall bladder or stomach
- Food intolerance or lactose intolerance
- Fallout of Radiation therapy
- Nausea or vomiting (when you feel like “Throwing up”)
- Abdominal Pain
- Stomach cramps
- The feeling of ‘Bloating” in your belly
- Over-tendency to empty our bowels
- Large volume of stools. In some cases, blood or mucous in stools
- Thin (or watery) stools
- In severe cases, the patient can encounter less or nil urination
Home Remedies for Diarrhea
What all you need: Yogurt
- Take a bowl of yogurt at least once a day.
How it works: Yogurt is not only good as an after-meal diet but also effective in treating diarrhea. Particularly, yogurt which has “live” bacterial cultures (which helps restore the good bacteria in your intestine and destroy the bad bacteria which causes diarrhea). According to research, PROBIOTICS can help reduce the bad bacteria that cause diarrhea.
Tip: Eat a cup of ‘probiotic’ dahi. You can further make it delicious by adding sliced fruits to it as topping.
2. Chamomile Tea
What all you need: 1 tsp chamomile flowers, 1 tsp peppermint leaves, water for boiling
- In order to make chamomile tea, steep the flowers of chamomile and peppermint in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink the tea twice or thrice a day.
How it works: Known for its relaxation powers, chamomile tea also helps in calming down bouts of diarrhea – by easing spasms in the intestines and combating inflammation.
Tip: Alternatively, you can drink Green Tea to keep your digestive system functioning properly and in order.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
What all you need: Apple Cider Vinegar and some water
- To a glass of water, add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Keep drinking this ACV solution (at least once or twice a day) till you get relief from diarrhea.
How it works: ACV is an effective agent against bacteria that become the root cause of diarrhea.
4. White Rice
What all you need: Just white rice
- Eat small amounts of plain white rice
- Once you feel relief from diarrhea, increase the amount of white rice.
How it works: Plain version of white rice is one of the bland foods recommended during diarrhea because it is easy to digest. It also decreases the amount of stools as it adds bulk to them.
What all you need: Ginger (small piece), 1 tsp honey
- Grate the ginger finely
- Now add honey to it
- Eat the mixture to promote the release of gastric juices which enhances digestion. DO NOT drink water immediately after eating ginger and honey combo.
- Other option – Drink ginger tea 2-3 times a day. This will help cure diarrhea. You have to add a small ginger piece to one cup of water. Boil the water for few minutes, strain the water and add honey before you drink it.
How it works: Ginger is a very promising remedy in treating food poisoning. It also gets the cramps and abdominal pain out of the way.
Tip: If fresh ginger is not available, go for powdered ginger.
6. Fenugreek Seeds
What all you need: 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1tbsp yogurt
- The easiest way to use this remedy is to CHEW the concoction of fenugreek seeds mixed in yogurt.
- The option is – mix 1 ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds (roasted first) and cumin seeds. Then add 2 tbsp of yogurt. Mix it well.
- Consume this preparation 3 times a day to get relief from diarrhoea.
How it works: Fenugreek seeds have high mucilage content and it is the mucilage which gives strong anti-diarrheal effect.
7. Fresh orange peel tea
What all you need: 2 tbsp orange peels (chopped), ½ cup boiling water, lemon and honey
- In the cup containing boiling water, drop orange peels
- Allow it to cool
- When it does, drink this tea preparation with a dash of lemon and honey
How it works: Being rich in pectin, orange peel is a type of carbohydrate that increases the beneficial bacteria in your large intestine. In doing so, it maintains a healthy intestinal system.
Tip: Drink orange peel tea several times a day (prepare it fresh each time, don’t stock it)
What all you need: A bunch of Bananas
- Munch on few bananas a day to get relief from diarrhea
How it works: Bananas are pectin-high. Since pectin is a water-soluble fiber, it helps reduce diarrhea.
Tip: Whenever you are down with diarrhea, eat RIPE bananas. They are high in pectin, and so will be a good problem-solver.
9. Black Seed Oil
What all you need: 1 tsp black seed oil, 1 cup yogurt
- In a cup of yogurt, mix black seed oil
- Eat it two times a day till your experience relief from diarrhea
How it works: Black Seed is effective in treating health problems like gas, colic, asthma, constipation and diarrhea. For diarrhea in particular, use black seed oil.
10. Black teas
What all you need: Black Tea
Directions: Drink black tea plain (and no sugar)
How it works: The hot water used for making of black tea helps with rehydration. And the tea has astringent tannins which help reduce inflammation in intestines.
What all you need: Few blueberries, and 1 cup water
- Crush the blueberries first
- Boil them (on a low flame) in a cup of water for 10 minutes
- Allow it to cool down
- Start drinking this flavored tea
- Drink it twice a day
How it works: Blueberries are rich in anthocyanins (which have anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties). Further, their killer strategy on germs that cause diarrhea. B’berries also have ‘pectin’ which eases out the diarrhea symptoms.
Tip: Alternatively, you can chew a handful of dried blueberries or make a soup out of it.
What all you need: 2-3 leaves of peppermint, honey or sugar, water
- Add peppermint leaves in boiling water
- Then add a little honey or sugar.
- Strain it and drink it slowly.
How it works: Just like chamomile tea, peppermint tea is also effective in healing diarrhoea.
Tip: As an option, you can also use peppermint tea bags for tea preparation.
What all you need: 4 tbsp honey, hot water
- In a cup of hot water, add 4 tbsp honey
- Let it cool
- Then drink it.
How it works: Honey remedy is not only sweet but an effective way to tackle diarrhea symptoms.
14. Vinegar Water
What all you need: Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Drink ACV three times a day for relief from diarrhea
How it works: Vinegar water in the form of ACV has antibiotic properties which helps treat bacterial infection which are the root cause of diarrhea. ACV also has pectin, which helps soothe the spasms of the intestines.
15. Coconut Water
What all you need: Fresh coconut water
Directions: SIP- that is what you need to do with coconut water each day.
How it works: Dehydration is a natural thing to happen as a result of diarrhea. Coconut water is of great help and benefit in such a situation. It has plenty of minerals, and electrolytes that help replenish the body fluids.
Tip: Ideally, drink 2 coconuts on a daily basis.
What all you need: 1/2 tsp dry ginger, and 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix ginger in recommended amount in a cup of buttermilk
- Drink it 3-4 times a day for relief
How it works: Buttermilk is an Ayurvedic healing approach to treating diarrhea.
What all you need: 1 tsp turmeric, a bowl of yogurt
- Mix a tsp of turmeric in a bowl of yogurt
- Now consume it
How it works: While turmeric checks out on the indigestion, yogurt fights out the bad bacteria.
18. Cinnamon and Ginger
What all you need: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp powdered ginger, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp honey
- Mix 1 tsp each of cinnamon, powdered ginger, cumin and honey
- Now that the paste is ready, consume it thrice a day
How it works: While ginger gets your relief from gas, honey soothes the digestive tract.
19. Activated Charcoal
What all you need: Charcoal tablets
Directions: Consume charcoal tablets
How it works: Activated charcoal in the form of charcoal tablets can be of major help in getting rid of diseases related to stomach – like gas, diarrhea, indigestion, etc. Charcoal works as an absorbent and absorbs the toxins, thereby getting you relief from diarrhea.
What all you need: 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup buttermilk
- To the oatmeal, add buttermilk
- Then consume it twice a day
How it works: Oatmeal is a fairly good amount of solid food to start with when your body is recovering from diarrhea. It helps in holding down liquids. And yes, oatmeal is rich in soluble fibre which prevents water loss from the body.
What all you need: Fresh pumpkin
- Make it a point to have a cup of pumpkin twice daily for 2-3 days to get relief from diarrhea
How it works: Pumpkin has soluble fibers which help harden the stool. It also has higher levels of potassium, so eating it recharges the body fluids with sufficient electrolytes.
What all you need: Pineapple (but in chopped form)
- Eat (and relish) a cup of chopped pineapple for relief from diarrhea
How it works: BROMELAIN in pineapple fight diarrhea-causing infection. Plus, pineapple has Vit C which guards the immune system.
Tip: Have 1 or 2 cups of chopped pineapple a day (depending on the severity of your diarrhea).
23. Soy Milk
What all you need: Soy milk
How it works: Whenever you are down with diarrhea, the body finds it hard to digest milk and milk related products. Take soy milk as it is light and less taxing on the digestive system. And, its good for bone health too.
Tip: You can give soy milk to children but make sure the kids are not allergic to it in the first place.
What all you need: Kefir yogurt
Directions: Nothing to mix in this case. Just EAT a few cups of Kefir Yogurt during the day.
How it works: Whatever be the cause of the diarrhea, yogurt (Kefir yogurt, to be precise) is sure to restore your health. In fact, this yogurt has gut-friendly bacteria which help flush out the toxins from the body. And so, improve your digestive system health.
25. Green Tea
What all you need: 1 green tea bag, and 1 cup of hot water
- Green tea lovers – you know the recipe of green tea
- For first time green tea drinkers – Steep the green tea bag in water for a few minutes. And then, drink the tea while it is warm
How it works: Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants. This helps in keeping the body healthy. It also soothes upset stomach and brings relief from diarrhea.
Tip: Add a dash of honey and/or lemon if you want the taste element. Also, drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily.
26. Olive Oil
What all you need: Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Take 1 tbsp olive oil in the morning on an empty stomach
- You can also have 1 more tbsp of olive oil during the day, before your meals
- Keep taking olive oil for a couple of days
How it works: Oleic acid in olive oil has been proved to slow down the process of digestion, hence reducing diarrhea. Plus olive oil activates certain mechanisms in the small intestine which curb and stop the diarrhea symptoms.
27. Jello Water
What all you need: Jello powder and 2 cups water
- As per the packet instructions, dissolve the jello powder in water
- Drink it immediately
How it works: Jello has gelatin which helps bind your stools and stops diarrhea. In the process, it rehydrates your body.
28. Peanut Butter
What all you need: Peanut butter
How it works: Toast your breads with peanut butter and eat it when you are suffering from diarrhea.
Tip: If you are allergic to peanut butter, then don’t consume it.
What all you need: 3-5 gms of garlic in a day.
How it works: ‘Allicin’ is a key ingredient in garlic which has strong antibacterial, antiviral, and antiparasitic properties. When you eat raw garlic, it helps you kill microbes in your gut which are causing diarrhea.
Garlic also helps bring relief from symptoms of diarrhea – such as abdominal cramps and intestinal inflammation.
Tip: Garlic can also be included in your meals as a seasoning.
30. Stay Hydrated
What all you need: At least 8 glasses of water daily
- Drink water in the qty mentioned above (13 glasses for males and 9 glasses for females on a daily basis)
- Also add more fluids to your daily intake (apart from just water)
How it works: Diarrhea causes dehydration. Meaning, loss of fluids in the body happens. Drinking water and other “fluids” (such as teas, broth, carrot juice, celery juice, sports drinks, etc.) is one of the best home remedies for diarrhea. Keeping your body hydrated throughout the day is very important to get rid of diarrhea – both naturally and effectively.
What all you need: Just rest and ample rest
How it works: When you are down with diarrhea, avoid hectic activity and just rest. Because resting helps in repairing your body, restoring energy, and helps you fight health condition.
Tip: Listen to nice music when you are resting or take a look at your favorite flowers or soft toys. This will increase your rest factor. Yes, light yoga exercises also help give you the relaxation.
Diet for Diarrhea (Foods to Eat & Foods to Avoid):
- BRAT Diet: Comprising of Banana, Plain Rice, Applesauce, Dry Toast, and Tea, BRAT diet foods are a safer option to eat when you are fighting diarrhea. BRAT diet also keeps you feeling nourished.
- Probiotics: Increase your consumption of Probiotics in the form of yogurt containing LIVE cultures.
- Drink Water, and Liquid Food Products such as broths, organic fruit and vegetable juices, and sports drinks.
- Clear Liquids in the form of water containing electrolytes or coconut water (avoid ones high in sugar).
- Include Carrot Soup. It is 100% natural, easy to make, cheap and effective in tackling diarrhea
- Say no to or cut down the intake of sweet, spicy and fatty foods.
- In young children, diarrhea can be caused by fruit juice. So, try your most to limit the intake of fruit juice.
- Avoid Anything Dairy except yogurt and buttermilk
- Avoid artificial sweeteners, including sorbitol
- Avoid taking coffee, soda, and other caffeinated or carbonated drinks
When to Seek for Medical Help?
If you have diarrhea-related symptoms, which do not subside within a week, consult a doctor immediately.
Prevention and Tips
Here are some more tricks to follow when you are down with diarrhea.
- Take Plenty of REST
- Put a heating pad on belly to get relief from stomach cramps.
- For the first 12 hours, drink liquids only. After 23 hours, follow BRAT diet (banana, rice, applesauce and toast)
- Before cooking or eating or after using bathroom, wash your hands
- Instead of eating frozen, packaged or highly processed foods, go for FRESH FOODS.
- Keep your cooking areas clean, sanitized and Bacteria-free.
- Doing Yoga and Meditation is a good way of avoiding stress
- Go for exercise (being a “couch” potato will only aggravate the situation)
Hope you found this mini guide on diarrhea prevention useful. Write in your comments and tell us.