Sugar, if you think, is a strange substance. Some love it so much so that they can’t live without it. And the result? The upshot of all that love is a condition called Sugar (Diabetes).
Are you one among those sugar lovers, suffering from Diabetes? Are you unable to resist those sweetmeats and the sugar-coated desserts?
Fret not! We have the perfect solution to the troubles you are facing. Have you heard of Ayurveda? It is an ancient method in India, used for treating ailments.
Take a look at the Ayurvedic home remedies:
What Is Diabetes?
When does Diabetes happen? When blood glucose (or sugar) level in the body goes high. Or when the sugar concentration in the blood increases. This sugar or glucose, mind you, provides instant energy to our body.
What can ‘fuel’ diabetes? Let’s find out:
Causes Of Diabetes:
Our body breaks down food into glucose, which is carried to the cells throughout our body. How does the carrying happen? Through the ‘insulin’ hormone which converts insulin into energy.
Diabetes is of 2 types –
Type 1: When the body doesn’t produce enough of insulin. As a result of which, the blood sugar level in the body rises.
Type 2: This is the advanced stage of diabetes. When the body becomes resistant to insulin.
There is one more cause- Hormonal changes during pregnancy. It can cause diabetes too (temporary one).
Symptoms Of Diabetes:
How can you tell if you are down with diabetes? Well, the symptoms are so mild that they might even escape your attention. That’s why, make a note! Here are diabetes symptoms that people face. Point no. 1, 2, and 3 are specific to ladies.
- Urinary infections
- Vaginal infections
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) – signs are irregular periods, weight gain, acne, and depression
- Frequent urination
- High levels of thirst and hunger
- Blurred eyesight
- Slow-healing of wounds and cuts
- Feeling tired all the time
- Numbness of feet and hands
- Weight loss or gain (no cause, as such)
Does only allopathy bring relief to Diabetes? Not always. There is Ayurveda too by your side (as always).
Let’s find out how:
How Does Ayurveda Help In Diabetes?
Ayurveda has its own specific way to treat diabetes (Madhumeha) – through diet (Pathya), drugs and medicines, exercise (Vyaayam), and panchakarma (bio-purification procedures). And it works, provided you follow them without a break.
Ayurveda Treatment Vs Modern Treatment For Diabetes?
Diabetes is a disorder of the metabolism. It can’t be treated merely by controlling sugar levels.
Ayurveda, as against modern medicine, treats diabetes in a different way. It actually rejuvenates the body not only to “balance” sugar levels, but also makes sure no further complications are caused.
Here Is The List Of Ayurveda Treatments For Diabetes Without Side Effects:
We now identify various Ayurvedic treatments which can be of help in treating Diabetes. They are absolutely safe with ‘No Side-Effects’.
Description: While haldi is well-known for its culinary properties, it is ideal for treating and preventing Type 2 diabetes.
Did you know – turmeric can reverse pre-diabetes?
- Add turmeric to your food
- Or add some turmeric powder to your hot milk
Tips: Chew on a piece of turmeric. Possible? Yes, when you do that it helps you fight diabetes and prevent complications.
Note: Avoid taking turmeric on an empty stomach. It may cause acid reflux.
2. Aloe Vera
Description: Ground bay leaf and aloe vera help in controlling sugar in blood. Hence, it is effective for diabetes. According to a study, aloe vera plant has been found to reduce blood sugar levels.
- Mix aloe vera gel – 1 tbsp, ground bay leaf – 1/2 tbsp, and turmeric – 1/2 tbsp
- Take it twice daily (before lunch and dinner)
3. Bitter Gourd Juice
Description: It is considered the best remedy for diabetes.
- Crush the karela in a grinder (once you have separated the seeds)
- Add a little bit of water
- Now sieve it
- The juice is ready-to-drink!
Tips: Alternatively, you can fry the cut pieces of karela in a frying pan containing mustard oil and salt, along with cut onion and green chili for 10-15 minutes. And eat!
Note: Drink the karela juice (about 30 ml) on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. It is tough, I know, but you gotta do it. Whoever stops?
4. Methi Seeds
Description: Methi (or fenugreek seeds) is a pretty useful remedy to lessen the signs and symptoms of diabetes. And there are multiple ways of taking it.
- Soak few methi seeds in warm water
- Leave it overnight
- Chew it next morning
Tips: You can also add methi seeds in the whole wheat flour and make chapattis out of it
Note: Grind 100 gm of methi seeds and 25 gm of turmeric. Take it with a glass of milk twice every day.
5. Cinnamon Powder
Description: The powder of Cinnamon has been shown to lower blood glucose levels in people suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
- Take 1 litre of drinking water
- Add 3-4 tbsp cinnamon powder to it
- Heat it for 20 minutes
- Now strain the mixture
- Cool it and drink it every day
Description: Amla is a traditional remedy to control high blood sugar levels. It also has chromium mineral that regulates carbohydrate metabolism and makes your body more responsive to insulin.
- Take 2 tsp of amla juice and a pinch of turmeric powder every morning (early hours)
- You will find the high sugar levels come down to satisfactory levels
Description: Neem leaves are a natural boon for diabetic patients. It rejuvenates liver and normalizes its functioning.
- Pick 2-3 tsp of fresh neem flowers and neem leaves
- Soak them in water overnight
- The next morning, crush the neem flowers and leafs in a blender
- Now squeeze the juice of neem
- Mix it with 1/2 cup water
- Drink this neem concoction early morning (but on an empty stomach)
Tips: You can collect the neem flowers and leafs during the blossoming season. When the season ends, you can use the dried powder of this mixture
Note: Diabetics are more prone to getting itchy and dry skin. Regular use of neem leaves (at least once a week) helps prevent skin infections.
Description: The Indian herb Shilajit provides relief from multiple ailments including diabetes.
- Shilajit can be had in the form of capsules
- Or use the powdered form by dissolving it in hot milk
Tips: To be taken on an empty stomach in the morning, and at night before you hit the sack
Note: Shilajit has four minerals – gold, silver, copper and iron
Description: Triphala, a formulation made out of Amla, Hairtaki and Bibhitaki, is useful in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Make equal parts of Triphala, barberry root, and 20ml each of colocynth and moth (in concentrated liquor form)
- Now take the same with turmeric powder (4gm)
Tips: Take this Triphala concoction twice a day for best results
10. Jamun Seeds
Description: When you chew Jamun leaves, it prevents starch conversion into sugar.
- Get seed powder of Jamun
- Also get a glass of lukewarm water
- Now take the jamun powder and follow it up by taking water
11. Banyan tree bark
Description: The bark of banyan tree is effective in treating Type 2 diabetes.
- Heat 20 gm of ficus bark in 4 glasses of water
- When the mixture can fill all of 1 glass, bring it to cool
- Now, it is safe to consume
Tips: Ideal dosage of banyan tree bark is 50 ml twice a day
[Also ReadTriphala Churna Benefits ]
12. Vijaysar Churna
Description: Vijaysar is a time-tested and effective means of controlling diabetes.
- To be taken in powder form twice a day
- You can also keep cubes of Vijaysar in water and leave it overnight. Drink it on empty stomach next morning
13. Snake Gourd
Description: The anti-diabetic properties in snake gourd (also called ‘Parwal’) cures diabetes. It’s got low calories but high nutrients.
- Have snake gourd in cooked form (along with dal/sambhar)
- Let’s go through the basic guidelines for treatment of Diabetes, the Ayurvedic way.
Tips For Ayurveda Diabetes Treatment :
- Diet planning: Diabetes is one such ailment which can get aggravated through the wrong choice of diet. Through Diet planning, you can manage diabetes.
Some tips – avoid sugar in any form (whether through rice, potato, banana or cereals & fruits which have high percentage of sugar content)
- Daily exercise: Physical fitness plays a major role in the effective management of diabetes. Don’t be couch potato! Either walk your way to health, or burn calories through cycling, lifting weights or small exercises.
- Restrict and reduce weight: Active lifestyle or lazy? Which one is yours, never mind the fact that you are a diabetic? Get up and make efforts to reduce weight. Or else, your situation will worsen with time.
- Avoid sleeping during daytime: Remember, sleeping during daytime can affect your blood sugar levels and your glucose control in blood. So avoid it by reading, walking around, listening to music or playing games.
- Avoid smoking: Cigarette smoking is linked to higher risk of diabetes. So avoid it, if you wanna stay healthy.
- Try to reduce stress by implementing ‘Yoga’ practice: Yoga asanas when done for 6 months can happily reduce fasting blood. It pays to get into the yoga mode!
- Early to bed and early to rise: This is the best recipe to fight diabetes. Our forefathers were not wrong when they said so. It is a golden rule!
Does Ayurveda prescribe any foods for diabetics? Yes!
Ayurvedic Food For Diabetes:
Ayurvedic lifestyle? Familiar with that?
Well, if you are a diabetic, following are the foods you can take:
- Bitter gourd (karela)
- Snake gourd (parwal)
- Turmeric (haldi)
- Drum Stick
- Green gram
- Horse gram
- Blue berry
- Fenugreek seeds
Now for the ‘strictly no’ food items:
Ayurvedic Food To Be Avoided For Diabetes:
Prohibited are these food items, if you are a diabetic –
- Sugarcane juice
- Beverages (Sour)
- Junk foods
- Cold Drinks
- Carbohydrate-rich foods
- Rhizome root
Ayurveda Treatment Do’s and Dont’s:
Do you fear insulin injections? It’s understandable. After all, diabetes is not a one-day ailment (like cold, cough or fever). It’s something which can trouble you for many years. But, thankfully, there is Ayurveda to you rescue! It can be your best cure for diabetes, provided you willingly abide by it.
- Eat at ‘fixed’ hours (like a time-table). Three proper meals (and snacks in the middle) would be good.
- Get into the habit of eating the same amount of food every day.
- Don’t rush while eating. Eat slowly and chew well before swallowing.
- Drink enough water. It will help get the toxins out of your system.
- For lunch, include salad also (cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, turnips and radish).
- For lunch and dinner, NO MAYONNAISE and NO SAUCE which is high in fats.
- Do include whole grains (eg. brown rice, bajra, wheat, Millet, oat, barley) while preparing food
- In veggies, have vegetables of at least 3-4 colors (yellow, green, orange) as they provide vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber
- For fruits, include guava, apple, orange, pear or Sweet lime
- Have milk (non-fat), yogurt and cheese.
- Say yes to Proteins. Did you know white meat chicken and fish are best sources of protein?
- Use less oil per person per day
- Tea or coffee without sugar is best
- Take Bitter gourd, fenugreek, flax seeds, cinnamon, garlic, onions. They reduce glucose level in blood.
- When you have had sugary foods, examine your blood sugar.
- Every day, have your medicines at the same time. Also, exercise at about the same time every day.
- From time to time, examine your feet for cuts, swelling or blisters. These are symptoms of diabetes.
- Check your blood glucose level regularly. Also get your kidney functions, liver function, heart function, ketone levels checked out depending on how your body responds.
- Keep a check on your weight
- Do daily exercise for 30-45 minutes. It will reduce blood sugar.
- Never start a new exercise without consulting your doctor
- Never skip your meals. You need to distribute your food eating patterns uniformly to prevent high and low blood sugar.
- Do not eat food immediately after your workout.
- NO FRIED food please. Instead, bake, cook, saute or roast in a coated pan. Use less of cooking oil in the kitchen.
- Try to restrict the use of spices such as mustard, ketchup, soy sauce and salad dressing. They are rich in salt and sugar.
- Limit your salt, fats and sweets intake.
- NO to white rice, white flour, potatoes, carrots, bread and bananas. They increase blood sugar levels, that’s why.
- Avoid buttermilk, egg yolk or food items cooked in coconut milk.
- Avoid processed foods, ready-to-eat, sweets and sugary drinks (cans)
- Avoid refined flour products (in the form of baked goods like biscuits, cakes, pastries, white bread). Since these products have high glycemic index, they can cause spikes in blood sugar.
- Quit smoking and alcohol consumption.
- That was LONG, but fruitful in every way!
Final Words About Treatment For Diabetes By Using Ayurveda:
Dietary planning and lifestyle changes are the go-to habits and ways which can help treat diabetes.
- Have a balanced diet, low in sugars
- Add a lot of green leafy veggies (and also some herbs such as turmeric, fenugreek, bitter gourd, bael) to your diet
- Never give a break in doing Yoga
I do hope you found this article on treating Diabetes through Ayurveda useful and effective. Do write in your comments and add your inputs and experiences on the same.