To get rid of neck fat you have to undergo the knife! FALSE!
You do not have to undergo the surgeons knife to get rid of neck fat. And with that being said, we would want to talk more about why neck fat happens in the first place and how you can easily avoid it from happening. This would save you the energy and time thinking about how to get rid of neck fat. But if you have to remove neck fat, there are neck fat exercises to help you with the same- surgery is not needed!
The neck is a visible area and therefore becomes an easy concern for most people. One of the common problems is excess fat in neck and chin areas. Fat usually gets accumulated on your neck for several reasons like weight gain or obesity. In addition, excess fat around your neck can be caused due to ageing, water retention, and health conditions, like hypothyroidism, Cushing’s syndrome, and polycystic ovary. It is very much essential to deal with neck fat, as fat in the neck is also associated with heart disease, high cholesterol levels, and diabetes. You can also have excessive fat removed by a cosmetic surgeon. But going under the knife can become risky and expensive.
To resolve the problem of neck fat, you should adopt lifestyle changes, dietary changes, and try neck exercises. The results may not be evident instantly, but stick to a healthy eating pattern and exercise routine, to get rid of excessive fat around your neck.
Causes of Neck Fat:
Neck fat or double chin is also known as sub-mental fat. This is a common condition associated with fat layer formation below your chin. Neck fat is often related with weight gain. You needn’t be overweight to have one. It can be caused due to genetics or loose skin, resulting from aging process that causes double chin. If you want to get rid of your neck fat, there are several methods you can check on how to lose neck fat overnight.
Exercises that Reduces Neck Fat:
While there is no scientific study that correlate neck fat exercises for getting rid of double chin, there are evidences to support this.
You can try one of these six exercises on how to get a slim neck, to strengthen and tone your muscles and skin of your double chin. Repeat each of these exercises 10-15 times daily.
1. Straight Jaw Jut
- Tilt your head back and look upwards.
- Push your lower jaw forward to feel a stretch under the chin.
- Hold the jaw jut to a count of 10.
- Relax your jaw and return your head to a neutral position.
2. Ball Exercise
- Place a 9-10 inch ball under your chin.
- Press your chin down against the ball.
- Repeat 25 times daily.
3. Pucker up
- Tilt your head back and look upwards.
- Pucker your lips as if you are kissing the ceiling to stretch the area beneath your chin.
- Stop puckering and bring back your head to its normal position.
4. Tongue Stretch
- Look straight in the front and stick your tongue as far as you can.
- Lift your tongue upwards towards your nose.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
5. Neck stretch
- Tilt your head back and look upwards.
- Press your tongue out against the roof of your mouth.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds.
6. Bottom Jaw Jut
- Tilt your head back and look upwards.
- Turn your head to the right.
- Slide your bottom jaw forward.
- Hold for five to ten seconds.
- Repeat the process with your head turned left.
1. Perform Cardiovascular Exercises
Try aerobic or cardio exercises to burn your calories and support weight loss.
- The cardiovascular exercises recommend adults perform about 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio every week. You can also perform 30 minutes of cardio five days a week to meet the minimum target.
- You can try several exercises like walking, jogging, biking using the elliptical, swimming, or dancing.
- In addition to supporting weight loss or maintaining a healthy diet, cardiovascular activities can help in maintaining diabetes, blood pressures, and cholesterol levels.
2. Avoid Neck Toning Exercises
There are several exercises that have been targeted to get rid of neck fat, but have the most opposite effect.
- You may think that working or strengthening the muscles around your neck can help you get rid of neck fat, but these exercises may increase up your neck muscles. Bulky muscles can make your neck appear thicker, not smaller.
- When you lose, you will notice a decrease in the amount of fat around your neck.
3. Try Two Days of Strength Training
Apart from cardiovascular exercises, you should include few days of strength or resistance training.
- The CDC suggests two days of strength training for at least 20 minutes per session. It is also recommendable for you to try several exercises that target muscle groups, including legs, chest, core, arms, etc.
- There are various activities that can count as strength training, like free lifting weights using weight machines, yoga, and pilates.
How to Reduce Neck Fat by Yoga
There are no specific yoga exercises on how to reduce neck fat, but there are several exercises for neck fat. While you practice these, they can exert pressure on neck area and that allows the part to get warmed out too.
1. First facial exercise
- Sit up straight and lower your jaw.
- Push your jaw outward as far as you can. Feel the tension build up on cheeks and ear area.
- Hold position for 10 seconds.
- Draw jaws inwards.
- Repeat exercise 10 times.
2. Second facial exercise
- Close your mouth and spread your lips apart.
- Pull your lips as wide as possible without parting lips.
- Hold on for 10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat exercise 10 times.
3. Third facial exercise
- Outstretch your neck as much as you can.
- Do not change the position of your head and try opening your mouth.
- Slowly close down to feel the tension build-up on neck and lower chin.
- Hold this for 10 seconds.
- Repeat five times
4. Fourth facial exercise
- Sit up straight and stick out your tongue.
- Try reaching out your chin using your tip.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times.
Decrease Neck Fat through diet:
Weight gain can be one of the reasons of your double chin. Losing weight can make neck fat smaller or get rid of it. So one of the best ways to lose weight is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise daily. Few healthy eating guidelines include:
- Eat four servings of vegetables daily.
- Eat three servings of fruits daily.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Eat lean protein, such as poultry and fish.
- Eat healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocados, and nuts.
- Avoid fried foods.
- Eat low-fat dairy products.
- Reduce your sugar intake.
- Practice portion control.
As the weight starts to drop, your face will start to get thinner. To help with weight loss, we recommend you try moderate physical activity up to 300 minutes once a week, or 45 minutes daily.
Apart from that, you can try strength training, twice a week. All other intense physical activities, like mowing lawn, gardening, and doing grocery shopping can allow achieving this weekly goal.
Consider Skin Care Products
1. Wear Sunscreen
Apart from diet and exercises, wearing sunscreen daily can slow down wrinkles, sagging, and aged skin.
- If you suffer from sun damaged skin that is wrinkled, this can worsen excess fat stored around your neck.
- It is important to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with 30 SPF year-round for both men and women. You may use higher SPF if you go in direct sunlight for longer periods. Reapply every two hours and wear a broad-rim hat for extra coverage.
2. Make Use of Retinol Creams
There are several retinoid-based wrinkle creams available over-the-counter and also through prescription. Most of these creams may help to build collagen production and smooth out wrinkles.
- Make use of retinol creams alongside sunscreen, moisturizer, diet, and exercise. These creams can help in reducing sagging, wrinkled neck skin.
- Procedures and creams used in skin treatments are considered one of the best to receive visible results.
3. Try Surgical Treatment
If you have tried diet, exercise, and skin creams, you may consider few drastic measures for removing excess fat or skin around your neck.
- There are several treatment options available, like liposuction, botox, laser treatments, and neck lifts.
- Consult a dermatologist to get an idea of the best treatment with the best budget.
4. Stay Hydrated
Water can help to control your appetite and prevent you from overeating.
- Make sure to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. But, the exact amount of water can depend on your weight, gender, and activity level.
- Consume fruits and vegetables along with water to keep your water content in balance.
- Eliminate dehydrating drinks like soda, coffee, and other alcoholic drinks.
5. Drink Green Tea
If you are wondering how to lose neck fat, then try green tea. Including green tea in your diet can allow you to stay healthy. Green tea contains powerful antioxidants and several components to speed up your metabolic rate. This can stimulate your body to burn off calories and decrease body fat. In addition, green tea is effective for ageing skin and for maintaining overall health.
- Add one tsp of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and allow it to steep for few minutes.
- Strain the water.
- Add a little honey.
- Drink three to four cups of green tea daily for at least few months.
6. Make use of Coconut Oil
You can also make use of virgin-coconut oil for getting rid of neck fat. You can make use of coconut oil both internally and externally. When you use the oil internally, the medium-chain fatty acids present in coconut can easily get absorbed directly into the cell membranes. This can then get converted into energy instead of being stored as fat. In addition, coconut oil can also improve your metabolic fat to help you in losing fat. When the coconut oil is used externally, it can help in improving blood circulation and fat accumulation.
- Massage your neck and chin area using warm coconut oil for 10 minutes twice daily.
- You can also use the extra virgin coconut oil for cooking purpose.
7. Try an Egg White Face mask
An egg white face mask can also help in getting rid of fat accumulated around your neck and sagging skin. Egg whites can help in skin-tightening and keep your skin firm.
- Whisk two egg whites.
- Add one tsp of milk, honey, and lemon juice. Then whisk again.
- Apply this mask onto skin around your neck and chin.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off using lukewarm water.
- Pat dry.
- Make use of the skin tightening mask twice or thrice a week.
8. Make use of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help in the breakdown of fat, and thus prevent the accumulation of body fat in your body, including neck. It contains minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium that can help in flushing off toxins essential for weight loss.
- Mix three parts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with one part olive oil.
- Make use of it to massage your neck area in upward motions for 10 minutes.
- Repeat twice or thrice daily.
- Another remedy is to mix two tsp of raw, unfiltered apple vinegar, and honey in a glass of water. Drink this solution on an empty stomach.
Treatments of Neck Fat:
If your neck fat is due to genetics, then tightening the area with various exercise forms can help. It is not clear whether losing weight can aid in neck fat loss. You may consult a doctor who would recommend an invasive procedure for this reason. Here are a few treatment options:
This treatment option is also known as liposculpture. This procedure makes use of liposuction or heat from a laser to melt off fat and contour the skin. Otherwise, a local anesthetic is needed during lipolysis to treat neck fat. Lipolysis can only treat neck fat. This does not remove excess skin or increase skin’s elasticity. It may also lead to various side effects:
The side effects include:
Mesotherapy is a minimally- invasive product that provides small amounts of fat-dissolving compounds through several doses of injection. It may take 20 or more deoxycholic acid injections per treatment to treat neck fat. You can have six treatments in total and wait at least a month in between treatments. Deoxycholic acid can lead to serious nerve damage, if not injected properly. You can recommend a dermatologist or doctor with plastic surgeon who is well-experienced about these drugs.
However there are potential effects of deoxycholic acid and other mesotherapy injectables. Here is a list of them:
If you are wondering how to reduce back neck fat or anywhere on your body, then you can start by eating a healthy diet and through exercise. When trying to reduce neck fat, remain patient. Unless you try liposuction or laser lipolysis, it won’t reduce overnight. Depending on the size of your neck fat, it may take some months before it becomes less-noticeable. Maintaining a healthy weight can help to reduce neck fat. This can also help in added health benefits like diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease, and certain types of cancers, and stroke.
Unless, you are sure that your neck fat was caused by genetics, you should try weight loss, cardio exercises, and chin exercise, before undergoing invasive procedure. Before starting off with any other diet and exercise program, speak to a dietician. They will guide you with any health concerns you may have and help you with a healthy weight loss plan. With that, they’ll also recommend a diet plan suitable for your lifestyle. If diet and exercising do not help your double chin, then consult a doctor to check whether an invasive procedure is a possible option for you.