Eyes are a gift to mankind and an asset too. But under-eye wrinkles can ruin even the most beautiful face. Are you worried about the wrinkles under your eyes that make you look aged, even if you are in your bright 20s to 30s?
What could be the reason for these wrinkles? Is it long working hours or lifestyle habits? Or the growing years?
It is tough to pin-point one reason, actually.
Let’s go step by step in decoding under eye wrinkles:
What are Under Eye Wrinkles?
Blame it on UEW which steals your youth and smooth skin.
Call it smile lines, crows feet, or just eye wrinkles, they all start to look visible when you are 25+. But why do these lines pop up? It is because your body loses its ability to replace the proteins – collagen and elastin which are good friends – they keep your skin elastic, vibrant and supple.
How are ‘Fine lines’ different from Under Eye Wrinkles (UEW)? Fine lines develop first, then they turn into deeper lines, which are called wrinkles. Both wrinkles and fine lines team up causing ridges or creases around your eyes, thereby making you look aged and less attractive. Sigh!
Don’t you wish you were a ‘baby’ once again? No wrinkles, no creases, only soft and baby skin.
Causes of Under Eye Wrinkle?
The first and foremost thing you need in order to combat UEW is knowledge on how to do it right. Its got to be right the first time. No trial. Remember, the under-eye skin area is very sensitive. So, no hanky- panky!
As you age, wrinkles will start to develop. The under–eye skin becomes dry and thinner over the years, and tends to lose elasticity.
Even ‘Menopause’ is one of the biggest causes of under eye wrinkles. Why? Because of ‘estrogen-reduction’ which ends up affecting collagen and elastin in the skin.
Smoking is bad, as it makes your wrinkles appear darker, deeper and more visible. It actually robs your facial skin of moisture.
Pocket this info – Smoking 10 or more cigarettes daily can make it far more yellow and wrinkly than anybody else of your age. Plus, it makes your hands and neck also look wrinkly and aged. The harms are many and irreversible.
3. Facial Movements and Expression
Repeating the facial movements many times a day, esp. those that are likely to cause creases on face, can cause wrinkles.
Stretching or molding your face? Frowning, laughing, or squinting? Your skin elasticity is bound to suffer. What will follow is eye wrinkles.
4. Sun Exposure
Its not possible to stay away from the sun. But reduce your presence under it, esp. during peak hours (say 10 am to 3 pm). Or when you stay in ‘dry’ places (like North and West India), where summers wreck a havoc with your skin. Brutally!
5. Poor Facial Skin Care
Our facial skin is sensitive and precious. Which is why it needs to be pampered and moisturized well – whether it is brutal summer or biting cold-winters.
Moisturizing when skipped shows up in the form of ageing lines and wrinkles on face and under-eyes. Dry-skinned souls develop wrinkles faster than those with oily skin.
6. Nutritional Habits
Not eating properly or avoiding food? Or going for all possible yummy junk food which fulfills your taste requirements? The damage could show up in the form of ageing lines or wrinkles.
Suffering from long work hours or lack of sleep? Or unwanted pressure from the family, boss, or some nagging old health problems? Your stress levels could get compounded and show up as ageing lines and wrinkles.
8. Genetics and Hereditary Factors
If your mom and grand-mom stood out for their beauty (at the same time – nagging age lines and wrinkles), chances are your genes have got you those pesky wrinkles under your eyes.
Situation looks bad. As always, home remedies will come to your rescue. Let’s find out how.
Here is the List of Natural Remedies for Under Eye Wrinkles at Home:
Let’s go this important list:
1. Castor Oil for Under Eye Wrinkles
Did you know castor oil is one of the oldest anti-wrinkle treatments? It gets quickly absorbed into the skin, which is why it is used more in modern-day commercial skin creams.
- Firstly, clean your face with face cleanser.
- Then pat your face dry
- Swab a cotton ball with rose water or normal water. Dab it over your facial skin
- Let the toner dry up on your face
- Pour a drop of Castor oil on your palm of your hand
- Get your pinkie finger to apply the oil on the under eye area
- The oil gets absorbed within 5 to 20 minutes
Tips: At night, reapply the castor oil to your under-eye area to get extra moisturizing benefits.
Note: Castor oil also protects your skin from pollution effects, while it moisturizes your delicate under-eye skin.
2. Olive Oil for Under Eye Wrinkles
The under eye skin is one of the most delicate areas of your face. Regular application of olive oil helps prevent moisture-loss (Which is why olive oil is one of the best moisturizers for face and skin). .
- Melt 1 tsp of beeswax, 1/2 tsp cocoa butter and 3 tsp of olive oil in a microwave
- Allow it to cool.
- Now put 2 tsp of rosewater in it
- Stir it to make a thick paste
- Apply this paste on the eye wrinkles
- After a gap of few min, wash it off with water
- Re-apply it once a day for maximum benefits.
Note: Olive oil can also be applied on the neck to prevent wrinkles that crop up
3. Cucumber for Under Eye Wrinkles:
The goodness of cucumber is far more than the salad you love. Cucumber slices help fight out under the eye wrinkles in no time. Cucumber also tackles crow’s feet.
- Chop a cucumber into thin slices
- Now put the slices on your eyelids.
- The cucumber pieces will reduce the wrinkles and puffiness (energizing your skin).
4. Ginger And Honey for Under Eye Wrinkles
Honey is highly applauded for its natural moisturizing (its also a humectant, meaning it preserves moisture) while ginger ups the blood circulation to the under eye area.
- Take 1 tsp of ginger extract and 1/2 tsp of honey in a bowl
- Massage this under your eyes for 10 min every day
- Leave it on your face for an hour
- Then wash off
5. Egg Whites for Under Eye Wrinkles
Egg whites are known for their skin tightening quality. This helps in reducing the wrinkle appearance, and also prevents premature wrinkles from appearing.
- Take an egg white
- Put a layer of it under your eye skin
- When you feel the skin getting pulled, wash it off
Note: Since egg whites are skin tightening, do not leave them under your eyes for a longer time. Else, the delicate skin will get excessively pulled and become loose (leading to formation of eye bags).
6. Rose Water for Under Eye Wrinkles:
Skin toner and rejuvenator- that’s rose water for you. It helps in treating wrinkles and also putting a stop to the loosening of skin.
- Take rose water
- Dab it under your eyes
- Let it air dry and remain on the skin
- Repeat this twice a day for best results if you want to treat under eye wrinkles (and prevent further lines from appearing)
7. Pineapple for Under Eye Wrinkles
Pineapple is rich in vit. C and has an enzyme known as “bromelain”, which acts as an anti-inflammatory to deal with under-eye wrinkles.
- Take few portions of pineapple
- Extract the juice of it
- Now apply it to the wrinkles under your eyes
- Wash it off with warm water after some time
Note: Pineapple also has natural astringent properties which help in exfoliation.
8. Coconut Oil for Under Eye Wrinkles
We all know the nourishing properties of nariyal ka tel. It is also one of the best home remedies for your eye wrinkles.
- Pour a few drops of coconut oil (organic) in your hand
- Now gently massage the under-eye area with this oil before going to bed.
- Let the oil stay overnight
- Wash off your face next morning
Note: Coconut oil offers a natural package of antifungal and antibacterial properties, and is an excellent moisturizer.
9. Avocados for Under Eye Wrinkles
Avocados are blessed with natural anti-ageing elements. Packed with vitamin E and monounsaturated fats, avocado is one of the best home remedies for under-eye wrinkles.
- In a bowl, take the paste of half of avocado
- Now add 2 tsp flaxseeds, 1 tsp honey and 2 tbsp fresh cream into the bowl
- Mix-and-blend all till you get a paste of thick consistency
- Apply it on your under-eye wrinkles
- Let the paste stay for 30 min
- Now wash it off with warm water
10. Rosemary for Under Eye Wrinkles
Rosemary is a natural disinfectant as far as hair and skin are concerned. The oil extracted out of it has wrinkle-fighting properties.
- Take few drops of rosemary oil
- Now apply it on your eye wrinkles slowly and delicately
- Massage it in upward strokes
- Let the oil stay and sink in your under-eye skin for about 15 min
- Then wash off with warm water
Tips: Do this on a regular basis and see wrinkles, fine lines, and dark bags vanish off.
Some preventive methods for you:
Tips and Changing Daily Habits for Under Eye Wrinkles:
1. Eye Massage
An eye massage is a superb way to stimulate and boost blood circulation in the under eye area. You will see the eye puffiness and dark circles get reduced, once the eye massage has been done for a period of time.
- To start the eye massage, get some eye cream (preferably with some oil in it) or oil (e.g. – coconut oil)
- Using your ring finger, put slight pressure on your eye area (in circular motion)
- Tap the area, starting from the inner corner of your eye
- Work out towards your brows, then towards your cheekbone, and then back to the inner corner of your eye
- Keep doing this massage technique 10-20 times over, before repeating the same procedure with your second eye.
Note: Eye massage is a nice way to relax at night.
2. Get Adequate Sleep
According to Yale dermatologist Nicholas Perricone – when you don’t get enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Get enough rest, Perricone says, and you’ll produce more HGH (human growth hormone), which helps skin remain thick, more “elastic,” and less likely to wrinkle.
3. Sleep on your back
Fluid can collect under your eyes, if you sleep on your side or stomach. Instead, try sleeping on your back by getting an extra pillow under your head.
4. Don’t Squint (Get Reading Glasses)
The bad thing about Squinting (which is a form of repetitive facial movement)? It overworks facial muscles. Then what happens?
It forms a groove beneath the surface of the skin, which becomes a wrinkle.
Note: Wear sunglasses. It will protect your skin around the eyes from sun damage — and keep you away from squinting.
5. Eat more fish (Particularly Salmon)
Salmon fish is a powerhouse of Omega-3 fatty acids. This improves blood flow to the skin, moving blood out and away from your eyes. It also helps in nourishment of skin, thereby keeping it youthful and plump, and reducing wrinkles.
6. Eat more soy
Certain properties of ‘soy’ heal photo-aging damage caused by the sun. Soy-based supplements (vitamins, fish protein and extracts from white tea, grapeseed, and tomato) improve skin’s structure and firmness after 6 months of use.
7. Trade Coffee for Cocoa
Description: Delicious news! Dark chocolate (flavonol-rich food) protects you against the harmful effects of UV radiation. This slows down the aging process caused by excess of movement in the sun.
8. Eat more Fruits and Vegetables
Antioxidant compounds found in fruits and veggies fight damage caused by “free radicals”. This helps the skin look younger and more radiant.
9. Use Moisturizer
With ageing skin, expect it to become thin and dry. And loss of elasticity is naturally expected. Anti-ageing moisturizers help in hydrating your skin, making it less dry and tight.
Note: Do not expect the prevention of wrinkles from a moisturizing cream.
10. Don’t Over-wash your face
The bad thing about ‘Tap water’ is that it strips the skin of its natural barrier oils and moisture which protects against wrinkles. When you get into the habit of over-washing your face, you wash away protection. So, unless your soap has moisturizers, use a cleanser instead.
Let’s check out how medical treatments can help us in wiping off wrinkles.
Medical or Spa Treatments
There are a wide variety of go-to procedures for treating under eye wrinkles. Some with positives, and some with negatives.
You have to find out the best treatment for you, after you have found out and assessed the ‘price’ and the ‘depth’ of your wrinkles.
1. Laser Treatments
Undoubtedly, laser is one of the top choices when it comes to solving the under eye wrinkles. The technician applies short pulses of laser light (its micro-fine, mind you) which goes deep into the sub-layers of your skin. Once the procedure gets over, you will find new elastic and collagen making your skin look younger.
2. Dermal Fillers Treatments
Want freedom from UEWrinkles immediately? Go in for Dermal fillers. They help replace some of the lost volume under your eyes, which then fills out your wrinkles and fine lines.
3. Botox or Dysport Treatments
Though the power of lasers cannot be challenged (When it comes to reducing fine lines), there are other methods available too – like Botox or Dysport which prevent the same from forming.
These two products provide relief to your muscles, and ease out eye wrinkling when you laugh out or frown.
Not keen to go in for fillers, lasers or Botox? Microdermabrasion is there to fill the gap. But what is it? A more cosmetic and effective way of treating the problem.
Diamond tips scrub away your skin imperfections, giving you fresher and newer skin almost immediately.
In fact, Microdermabrasion removes dead skin not just from your under eyes but your entire face. That is why it is a treatment for the whole face, not just eyes.
Now for the last, but the most important step.
How to Prevent Under Eye Wrinkles:
And there are 3 nice ways…
1. Wear Sunglasses
Don’t just see Sunglasses as a fashion statement. They STOP you from squinting and wrinkling up your face (a huge plus point when it comes to preventing wrinkles under-eye). Every time you are out basking in the sun or travelling to work, wear sunglasses.
Tip: Get yourself Polarised lenses or UV-coated lenses for extra benefit and protection.
2. Use A Nighttime Eye Cream
You might be busy sleeping, and dreaming, at night but before you hit your sack, apply a night cream under your eyes. They are relaxing, and restoring for your skin at night (double-duty job).
Tip: A hydrating night cream that has antioxidants, retinols, and patented peptides are best to use.
3. Keep a Healthy Diet
There is nothing more fruitful for your under-eye skin than eating a healthy diet. It nourishes your skin from inside out.
Tip: Do eat foods (by way of fruits and veggies) which come in a wide variety of colours.
I hope you found these remedies useful and plenty to try. Write in and tell us which remedy for under eye wrinkles worked best for you.