Yoga is not for me – this statement is perhaps given by almost every person who is miles away from workout regime. While physical exercise is highly essential for leading a healthy life and that there is never too late for anything, I have come up with simple yoga techniques for beginners, which can help you change your morning routine without much strain.
Do have a read to find out simple tips for yoga!
Before we go through some easy yoga postures, here are some tips you should always consider.
Following are some prerequisites for yoga –
- Keep it easy and simple – Try to keep your yoga posture steady and comfortable. Only stretch as much as you can
- Limit practice if you’re under 12 – If you’re below 12 years of age then you’re advised not to practice for long duration
- Adults should practice for 30-45 minutes daily for best results
- Always take professional’s help – No matter how many yoga video tutorials are available online along-with the much popular Shilpa Shetty’s yoga video, beginners should always practice yoga under the guidance of a qualified yoga instructor to avoid any injuries and get the postures right
- Be an early bird – Morning is always the best time to practice yoga for best results, so sleep early and wake up early
- Be empty stomach – For any kind of exercise, it’s necessary that your stomach is empty and that there is at least 4 hours of gap between your meal and your workout and same implies for yoga
- Wear comfortable dress – Only when you’re comfortable with your outfit, you’ll be able to stretch easily. Also avoid wearing belts and jewelries while practicing yoga
- Use a mat – Yoga is never practiced bare floor, so always keep a mat or carpet below where you practice
- Yoga demands discipline – Yoga yields preferred results when you also follow discipline in your diet. Yoga prefers vegetarian food. If you can’t avoid that then at least try to avoid spicy and oily food
- Don’t compare yourself with others – Everybody is unique and responds differently to flexibility, thereby putting them at different levels of expertise. So you keep practicing without putting stress on your body in a bid to attain what others are doing
- Never practice yoga when you’re pregnant and also avoid it during menstruation
- Lie down for a few minutes after yoga – Soon after you had your sweating session, do not just get up and get involved in anything else. Instead, lie down for a couple of minutes, allowing your body to cool down and consolidate the energy utilized and produced alike
- Now here are top 5 easy yoga postures for beginners. Continue reading!
1. Mountain pose (Tadasana)
This simple yoga posture offers improves breathing, mental clarity and sense of center. All you need is to simply stand in an upright position. Now take a deep breath and stretch your arm upwards and breathe out slowly.
2. Downward facing pose (Adho mukha svanasana)
This dog-like downward facing pose improves full-body circulation and offers good stretching to calves and heels.
Just get on your feet and hands, keeping shoulders and knees wide apart. Now stretch your hands forwards and use your fingers to get the posture. Now raise your hips upward to make an inverted V-shape. Make sure your heels touch the ground to get a stronger stretch.
3. Warrior pose (Virabhadrasana)
This kind of powerful pose strengthens muscles as you stretch your legs and ankles. Just try to stand keeping a distance of 3-4 feet between the legs. Now turn your right foot to 90 degrees. Now stretch your arms to the sides, keeping shoulders down. Now swing onto your knees, stretch both of your arms as shown in the picture.
4. Tree pose (Vriksasana)
Here is another simple yoga technique for beginners. This is surely going to be your favorite yoga pose if you’re trying your hands for the first time.
Just take a mountain pose by shifting your weight onto your left leg. Now place the sole of your right foot inside your left thigh and try to balance your body on one leg. When you get the balance then join your hands just as you do for prayers. Now repeat the process with the other leg.
5. Bridge pose (Setu bandha)
This bridge-like yoga pose strengthens chest and neck muscles along-with spine. And this is indeed a great warm-up for more intense backbends later on.
Just lie on the floor with your arms at your sides. Now bend your knees and press your feet onto the floor and slowly lift your hips. After you’ve raised your hips, clasp your hands beneath, while pressing your arms on floor for support. Try to keep your hips parallel to the ground and try bringing your chest close to your chin.
So these were my top picks on simple yoga techniques for beginners. Hope this helps!