Bowen therapy is a holistic approach towards pain relief and healing. The Bowen therapy or technique is a drug-free and hands-on remedial therapy that is applied using very gentle pressure. Bowen therapy enables the muscles of the body to relax and reset at a very deep level. This therapy is based on the concept that the root cause of many musculoskeletal, neurological, neuromuscular and other health problems is present in the form of an imbalance of the energetic and facial systems of the body.
The Bowen technique is performed using thumbs and fingers on precise points of the body, which includes Bowen’s efficient sets of rolling-type moves which stimulates the muscles and soft tissues of the body.
Why Bowen Therapy Is Taken?
The experience of the therapy is gentle and subtle and balances the body of the person. Experience in relief of pain, improvement of functions and recovery of energy are few of the many initial effects that can be observed by the person taking this therapy. Though the Bowen therapy is very gentle and non-invasive, yet it is an extremely powerful and soft connective tissue hands-on therapy that approaches the elements which are out of balance within the body.
The therapy is beneficial to everyone from a newborn to the elderly, pregnant women, an athlete and someone chronically ill.
Following are some of the many conditions, which respond well to this therapy!
- Frozen shoulder and tennis elbow
- Knee and ankle problems
- Head and neck tension
- Asthma, shortness of breath
- Digestive problems
- Menstrual disorders, tender breasts and painful periods
- Headaches and migraines
- Chronic fatigue
Facts About Bowen therapy
1. Bowen therapy is named after its originator Tom Bowen who was born in Australia and initially he used to treat injuries, aches and pains of local sportsmen and others, but later in 1960s, he opened his own clinic and developed the therapy.
2. The Bowen therapy is a natural, drug-free, non-invasive therapy which was introduced to the UK in the 1990’s.
3. The reason behind why this therapy is so effective is because it works by stimulating the flow of water throughout the body. Water carries energy around the body through the soft connective tissues and without a free uninterrupted balanced flow of this energy throughout one’s body; one will have health challenges of varying kinds.
4. A short-term injury can easily be removed within 1-3 Bowen treatments, whereas long-term injuries may require more sessions.
5. For best results, an interval of at least 5 days is suggested to the clients between two Bowen sessions. This is suggested because the body needs time to recover and process the new information provided to it. Each Bowen session lasts between 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the age and the nature of the symptoms of the client.
Among the celebrity, the adventurer Bear Grylls believes in the Bowen technique, and takes a Bowen therapy every month which helps keep his chronic back pain from intervening in his busy filming schedule.
6. An interval of a few minutes is given to the body in order to provide it rest, between each set of moves. It is observed that often clients become so relaxed that they fall asleep during the treatment.
7. The Bowen therapy is being used extensively for sports injuries, with rugby and football clubs showing interest. Once treated regularly, sportsmen report fewer injuries afterwards and also, enhanced performance.
8. By treating the root cause rather than the symptoms of a problem, Bowen therapy has consistently shown that it has profound, permanent healing and pain relief outcomes.
9. The therapy does not rely on a detailed diagnosis of the problem and its origins, which is usually a lot costly and indeterminate. However, Bowen therapy relies on its holistic effects which treat the whole body.
10. No force or hard tissue manipulation is needed or used in the therapy.
How it’s Effective for Pregnant Woman?
Morning sickness and tiredness to physical pains such as back-ache and sciatica are very common problems among pregnant women, and Bowen therapy can help them in fighting it with ease. Bowen therapy can even help in pelvic tilt, which causes problems with the positioning of the fetus.
The Bowen therapy is extremely effective and no matter what your age or disease is, the therapy will help you in fighting it. However, make sure that while you are having this treatment, you are not involved in any other kind of therapy or massage.