Do your throw away onion skins after cutting them for your curry? Cause onion skins are to be thrown away, right?
Did you know some people collect the skins in a bottle and place it in the fridge?
Rubbing onion skins on your hands and palms can do wonders, say medical experts and beauticians worldwide. And this is the secret for softer, supple hands, palms and skin, which even the latest technological creams, lotions and potions cannot bring to you. Let’s take a look at how onion skin works:
The Secret Of Onion Skins
- They are rich in antioxidants for sure, and quercetin too, which is a flavonol that helps deal with blood pressure.
- Since the skins of an onion are rich in fibre, they can help with digestive and heart problems too.
- Onion skins can also have a way with some form of cancers as well; medical research has proved the same.
Benefits Of Onion Skins
We shall tell you why rubbing onion skins on your palm, body and hair is important.
1. If you have burns, onion skins can come in handy to soothe the area.
- Make a paste of the skins with warm water
- Apply the same onto the zone.
- It will bring down inflammation and pain, and reduce the risk of infection and scarring.
2. Bacteria could reside on our body which is unhealthy. Rubbing onion to the skin will relieve the body off the bacterial infection.
- Skin the onion and rub it on the body
- Wait for ten minutes.
- Shower after that and scrub well.
- The odors would go and the infections from bacteria would stand no chance.
3. If an insect bites you, your natural urge would be to scratch. Don’t do that! What you could do instead is
- Rub onion skins onto the area and the inflammation would subside in no time.
Thanks to the chemical reaction of the skin’s pH levels and that of the sulphur found in the skin of an onion.
4. For anyone with minor skin pigmentation issues, a teaspoon of turmeric mixed with onion skin paste can help.
- Apply the paste on the pigmented area for ten minutes and then wash off with cold water.
The vitamins and minerals found in onion skins can help lighten the pigmented areas.
5. Warts are pesky. For softer palms without warts
- Rub onion skins on the warts affected skin.
It gets better in a couple of days.
6. With summer approaching and almost swinging, sunburns would be most often experienced. To get rid of it,
- You can rub onion skins on the area.
- This also helps reduce inflammation.
- In addition to that, the sulphur compounds found in onion skins would help reduce the tan too.
7. Onion skins are antiseptic by nature, antimicrobial and antibacterial, and they have carminative properties as well that help fight skin disorders and skin diseases.
8. When you mix the juice of onion skins and a teaspoon of honey, and consume, it can help you deal with coughs, colds and fevers.
9. Since there are huge amounts of antioxidants found in onion skins, you can rub the skin on your body, palms, hands and feet to help with anti-proliferation.
10. Onion skins can help with cell regeneration, cell development, and body tissue growth too. The sulphur content is very high in onion skins, and they help benefit the growth of connective tissues in the body too.
As An Anti-Ageing Agent
Onion skins have plenty of anti ageing benefits, say medical experts. This is because of the abundance of vitamins in it, which help fight against the harsh UV rays of the sun.
Quercetin helps prevent ageing signs, wrinkles and laugh lines too. Why does this happen? This happens because onion skins are rich with sulfur-rich phytochemicals. So don’t throw them away; rub them on your palms instead to increase blood circulation and also brings a very youthful glow to the skin as well.
Anti Acne Agent
Fed up of all the false promises those lotions and potions out there give you?
When you rub enough onion skin paste daily on your skin (a tablespoon once a day), it helps beat the pesky bacteria and skin infections that hide from the naked eyes. Apply the paste and wait for ten minutes; wash off thereafter and then pat dry. In a week you would notice the difference.
To Lighten The Skin
As we age, out skin gets dull and dry, and we have marks, blemishes, dark spots and sun spots.
Onion skins have flavonoids and vitamin C in it, which helps nourish the skin and keep it free from radicals.
- Combine a teaspoon of the skins with turmeric
- Apply it on the face as a paste.
- Wait for half an hour and then wash off.
If you have sensitive skin, use honey with turmeric and the onion skin.
For The Hair
Here’s what onion skins can do for your hair:
The hair has three phases of growth- anagen, catagen and telogen. It is in the catagen stage where the hair starts breaking away from the hair bulb and falls off in the telogen stage.
Why should we wait for so long?
At the anagen stage,
- Apply a paste of onion skin juice
- Wait for half an hour or overnight everyday for a week
Watch how the hair grows nice and strong.
Moreover, if you want to condition your hair naturally, you could use the juice of onions after shampooing your hair and then wash off with rosewater.
Do write in and let us know your thoughts about the use of onion skins for your body. We hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as we did sharing it with you.
Images Source: pinterest