Rare are those who are born with perfect skin. One of the most common issues we battle out every day is blemishes and red dots on skin. They not only occur on face, but skin too. This means your skin is infected. And, it can be an “itchy” red rash or “non itchy” red spot, or both. Come let us find out what causes red spots in the first place.
Red spots (in medical parlance it is called “petechiae”) can occur anywhere on the body as a result of infection, allergic reaction or inflammation. They are harmless or “benign” in nature, but they turn into leukemia, looking like itchy red spots on skin. Here are some of the common causes of red dots on skin:
- Birthmarks: These are colored spots on our skin (can be red in color) found at birth. Abnormal blood vessels in the skin can lead to birthmarks. Birthmarks can be anywhere on the body from being red spots on face to red spots on legs.
- Acne: From mild to severe, acne or “skin bumps” is a common skin condition which all of us face. Depending on the severity of the situation, you can see red or swollen itchy red spots on skin, mostly these red spots on face are the acne.
- Boils: This is a skin infection of the hair follicle. It is a red bump that often gets filled with pus. When the boil bursts, the pus or liquid in it oozes out. It normally looks like a tiny red spot or a small red dot on skin that is swollen.
- Heat Rash: When sweat gets trapped in clogged pores and appears as red bumps (without feeling itchy), it is a heat rash. This develops when weather is hot and humid and vanishes off once the skin temp has cooled down. These rashes on skin are temporary.
- Hives: Call it rash or tiny red spots on skin that are actually bumps, hives appear suddenly on skin, as a result of an allergy. They can last for few hours or days.
- Reaction Due To Allergy: Several elements such as food, pollen or allergens in the air, even cosmetics, and laundry detergent can lead to allergy. This allergy looks like rashes on skin.
- Eczema: This is an allergic reaction on skin which leads to very itchy skin rash. The eczema rash appears in the form of raised red bumps which can ooze, drain, or even crust. Eczema starts off as small red dots on skin initially.
- Scarlet Fever: This is not the usual fever but a bacterial infection which leads to tiny red spots and red rashes that spread around the body.
- Malnutrition: When you are not eating right, expect red dots on skin to happen as a result of nutritional deficiency from vitamin C, vitamin K, and B vitamins like B9, folate, and B12.
- Bug Bites: They show up as red bumps and come up as bumpy red rash on the skin exposed while sleeping – for instance, arms, shoulders, face and neck.
Having known the causes, let us find out the possible symptoms which point to red dots on skin.
[Also Read: Home Remedies to Remove Skin Tags]
It is not necessary that red spots on skin have to be itchy. They can be non-itchy too. Nevertheless, here are the possible symptoms you could experience when you are down with red dots on skin.
- Hematoma: It happens when clotted blood accumulates under the skin.
- Bleeding or Bruising: Bleeding could be from the gums, and bruises could happen on arms, hands and legs due to minor mishaps in day-to-day life.
- Nosebleeds: They can happen due to heat strokes or internal bleeding. But when the reason is not known, it is a cause of worry.
- Heavy menstruation: And I am not talking about the regular menstruation, but when there is heavy flow.
- Joint hemorrhage: Also called hemarthrosis, it is one of the symptoms that point to red dots cropping up on skin.
Causes and Remedies…so it is time now to find out the possible home remedies which can help do away with red dots on skin.
Easily Available Home Remedies for Red Dots on Skin
Here are some time tested remedies which you can do in the comfort of your home to do away with red spots on skin.
1. Cold Compress
What all you need: Small towel and Ice pack
Directions: Put an ice pack in a towel, and press it on the inflamed/affected area for 15-20 minutes.
How it works: By doing the cold compress therapy, you can reduce the inflammation on skin and minimize the risk of petechiae.
Tip: Instead of an ice pack, you can use cold water too.
2. Olive Oil
What all you need: Olive oil (Extra virgin), honey and turmeric powder (optional)
Directions: Rub EV Olive oil or a combo of honey and olive oil (in equal parts) on red spots on skin. Not once, but a few times daily to notice the healing.
How it works: EV Olive oil is a good skin moisturizer which promotes skin healing (given the fact that it is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants). It also soothes the skin and reduces the itching.
Tip: Apart from olive oil, you can also use castor oil and coconut oil to heal skin rashes naturally. Alternatively, you can also combine vitamin E oil and cod liver oil to treat the red dots.
3. Lemon Juice
What all you need: Lemon juice, raw milk and honey
Directions: Blend 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp honey with 2 tbsp raw milk in a jar. Then apply the liquid-cum-paste on the red spots. Do this trick once a week for two weeks.
How it works: The lemon juice remedy that you use for weight loss acts as a natural bleach (since it has plenty of vitamin C). This vitamin helps in building collagen and lightens up the skin.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
What all you need: ACV, cotton ball
Directions: Soak a cotton ball in ACV and put it on the area affected with red dots. After a few minutes are over, remove the cotton ball. Repeat this remedy often till the time you see the results showing up.
How it works: Raw ACV is a good home remedy to calm down the itching on red spots and treat skin rashes. Plus, it has acetic acid which fights skin infections satisfactorily.
Tip: If ACV by any chance irritates your skin, then dilute it with water, so that on application it doesn’t irritate the skin any more.
5. Baking Soda
What all you need: 5 tbsp baking soda, coconut oil (even fresh water would do).
Directions: Make a thick paste of baking soda and coconut oil (or water). Now apply it on the red spots on the affected skin and keep it for 10 minutes. Rub off the paste using a damp towel.
How it works: Baking soda has skin lightening properties which helps fade away the red dots with the passage of time.
Tip: Keep applying this remedy for a week to get best results.
6. Aloe Vera
What all you need: Aloe Vera plant and some hot water
Directions: Take off some leaves of aloe plant and boil them in water. Now make use of the juice extract of aloe and apply it on the red spots. After half an hour has passed, wash it off with cold water.
How it works: This home remedy heals skin ailments pretty fast. How? Because it has antibacterial properties, and elements, which help in getting rid of red marks from the skin.
Tip: Keep applying this gel twice a day until the red spots on the skin fade out.
7. Chamomile Tea
What all you need: Chamomile Tea, a piece of cloth
Directions: Soak a cloth in chamomile tea and place it on the affected area as a compress. After 10-15 minutes are over, take it off. Do it twice or thrice a day for a couple of days.
How it works: Chamomile is a good remedy to cool irritated skin and promote healing. That is because, it has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Tip: You can dilute chamomile essential oil drops with 2 tsp of another carrier oil or coconut oil.
8. Witch Hazel
What all you need: Fresh bark of witch hazel
Directions: Simmer 1 ounce of the witch hazel bark with 1 pint of water. Leave it to rest for 10 minutes. Once you strain and cool, apply it with a clean cloth on the affected area and leave it for half an hour for results to show up.
How it works: Witch hazel acts as an astringent that brings relief from itchy skin rash and serious skin conditions such as eczema. It is also an antioxidant which treats sunburn.
Tip: To get max benefit, use fresh witch hazel bark.
9. Coconut Oil
What all you need: Just coconut oil
Directions: Apply coconut oil on your skin rashes and red dots with your fingertips during day time and at night before you off to sleep.
How it works: Coconut oil is the best home remedy to fight all skin problems – minor to major. Treats skin allergies and red spots so effectively, you will be left wondering.
What all you need: Oatmeal, 2 tsp honey, one-quarter cup milk powder.
Directions: Grind oatmeal powder in food processor. Then mix one cup of ground oatmeal in warm water. Soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes till the time the rashes disappear.
How it works: Oatmeal does away with skin irritation and inflammation owing to its soothing properties. That is why, it is excellent for treating skin rashes, and severe skin ailments like eczema and sun burn.
11. Calendula Oil
What all you need: Calendula oil (only).
Directions: No rocket science involved. You just need to apply calendula oil on the red spots on skin and leave it for a few hours. Keep doing this twice daily till it heals completely.
How it works: Calendula is a good herb in soothing skin irritations, eczema, dry skin, bruises or wounds due to its anti-inflammatory nature and astringent properties.
Tip: You can also use calendula essential oil, or calendula cream/ointment/lotion few times a day till the rash disappears.
12. Ice Pack
What all you need: Professional Ice Pack
Directions: Apply a pack of ice from your freezer on the itching areas to get quick relief from your skin itch.
How it works: Ice is known to bring in a numbing effect. It is of great help in minimizing the swelling which comes with the itch.
Tip: Buy a professional ice pack which is sold in your local drugstore.
13. Basil leaves
What all you need: Couple of basil leaves, salt, pepper, olive oil, cloves (crushed)
Directions: Grind a few basil leaves in a pot. Add salt, pepper, olive oil and crushed cloves to it. Now put the treated basil leaves on red spots on your skin to get relief from skin rash.
How it works: Basil (or Tulsi) leaves is a sacred herb which is very beneficial for skin infections. The leaves have anti-irritant properties which ward off red rashes on skin and face.
What all you need: 2 tbsp Cinnamon powder, 3 tbsp honey
Directions: Mix cinnamon powder and honey in a bowl, and turn it into a paste. Now apply it on the irritated skin. After 5 minutes, wash it off. Pat your skin dry.
How it works: Cinnamon has soothing and antiseptic properties that helps bring you relief from skin irritations.
15. Coriander Leaves
What all you need: Coriander leaves are sufficient.
Directions: Grind the coriander leaves first of all (without water). Then apply them on the affected area, leave it for half an hour, and wash them off. Repeat this twice a day for a couple of days.
How it works: Coriander is an Ayurvedic remedy which comes in handy to fight rashes and itchy skin. Besides, it has a calming and inviting scent.
Tip: You can also boil 1 tsp coriander seeds in a cup of water and make a tea of it. Drink it for best results.
16. Cocoa Butter
What all you need: Organic Cocoa Butter
Directions: Massage the cocoa butter onto your skin. The area that is affected needs to be massaged well with the cocoa butter. Leave it on overnight. Wash face in the morning.
How it works: The antioxidants present in cocoa butter help in reversing the damage caused by free radicals. Cocoa butter works in lightening the red spots.
Tip: Repeat this on a daily basis for better and faster results.
17. Dandelion Root
What all you need: Dandelion Root Powder (1 tbsp), Hot water (1 cup)
Directions: Brew some dandelion tea by steeping the herb in hot water. Pour this tea into a cup and drink it.
How it works: Dandelion root allows the body to detox. This in turn results in removal of toxins, which makes the skin clearer and glowing. This also improves the liver function as a detox benefits the overall functioning of the body.
Tip: Have about 2 cups of dandelion root tea everyday to see a visible difference. Do this for about 1-2 weeks.
Now let us check out the preventive steps that can go that extra mile in shooing off red dots on skin.
Prevention and After Care
There is an old saying “prevention is better than cure”. Practice it and see those pesky red spots on face and skin fade away.
- Washing your face twice a day is a must – one in the morning and the other could be before going off to sleep.
- Try to use herbal skin care products more often as compared to artificial ones.
- Never step out in the sun in the wildest of dreams without putting sunscreen lotion.
- Do not make the mistake of popping or squeezing a pimple as it can lead to red marks. Self-heal is the best technique. When you lose patience and start pricking it, that is the time when you are fighting with your skin.
- Exfoliate more often, if you want to stay away from red spots on your face.
- Consult a dermatologist before you apply a topical medicated lotion or cream on your face or body parts to get rid of red dots.
I hope you got a detailed perspective of how to treat red dots on skin. Do apply them and let us know the results. Take care!