What are Fibroids? Also known as Myomas, Fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors found in the uterus. Fibroids can be found inside or outside the uterus and may or may not show any symptoms. Although it is said that one in five women over the age of thirty are affected by fibroids, more often than not they are not even aware of it. This is because fibroids may not show any symptoms, thus keeping their victim unaware of their presence.
What Causes Fibroids?
There is no clear or definitive evidence as to what causes uterine fibroid. But studies have shown that female growth hormones oestrogen and progesterone are linked to their growth. This is probably why fibroids actively develop during the hormonally active years and then shrink or subside during menopause. Fibroids may cause infertility in some women. Although this is not always the case and many women have healthy, normal pregnancies despite having uterine fibroids, the risk factor makes it important to treat them and dissuade the development of any new ones.
What are The Symptoms?
Fibroids are not always accompanied by symptoms. But as the fibroid grows larger in size or as more fibroids develop, these telltale symptoms are likely to occur:
- Heavy (and prolonged) bleeding during menstruation
- Painful menstruation
- Pain during intercourse
- Swollen abdomen
- Discomfort while urinating
- Frequent urination
Natural Cures for Fibroids
Whether the fibroids are causing you pain and unease or not, you need to shrink them and ensure no new ones form. So is taking medication or undergoing surgery the only way to do that? Not necessarily. There are some natural cures for fibroids.
Make Dietary Changes
The first thing you need to do is to ensure your liver is healthy and strive not to stress it. This means cutting down on drinks such as coffee and alcohol which tend to put more stress on your liver. Instead replace them with plenty of water and fresh fruit juices. Since your liver is where oestrogen is broken down, keeping your liver fully functional and healthy becomes a priority.
Another thing to watch out for is your intake of refined flour. Cut down on your intake of white bread, pasta and other items that increase insulin which interferes with how oestrogen is metabolized which in turn could lead to growth of existing fibroids and enhanced symptoms. Instead, include a lot of whole grains in your daily diet.
There are a lot of herbal teas that you can drink to shrink your fibroids naturally. These include:
- Yellow Dock Tea: Made from the dried root, this tea helps the liver by stimulating bile flow and acting as a natural mild laxative. It also helps in the production of blood cells and hence is very useful in case of heavy bleeding.
- Nettle Tea: Drinking nettle tea three times a day will not only help curb fibroids but will do wonders for your overall health as well. Nettle helps in the production of red blood cells as it is a rich source of iron. It can thereby help treat anaemia caused due to heavy bleeding.
- Vitex Tea: Made from Vitex berries, this tea helps reduce estrogen levels by promoting the production of progesterone, thereby helping in the treatment of fibroids.
- Dandelion Root Tea: Dandelion root tea helps improve the bile flow in the liver, thereby leading to better degradation of oestrogen by the liver.
Certain essential oils such as evening primrose oil contain anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They help reduce inflammation and pain caused by fibroids. Make sure you consult a doctor or a certified natural healer before using this treatment.
Note: While natural remedies have been known to be effective, do consult with your doctor to determine which course is the best for you. If your fibroids are large or if you are experiencing severe symptoms, then your doctor might suggest surgery instead of trying natural remedies which may take a while to show results.
Hope this article on natural cures for fibroids is helpful.