Henna is a popular hair dye that is all-natural and works wonders on your hair. This organic dye does not coat your strands but leaves it natural. Making use of henna offers numerous benefits such as stronger hair, achieving protective layer, and restoring hydration. All the more, henna for hair is safe and simple for home use if you keep few instructions in mind.
How to start:
For making henna hair dye, you will need few tools.
Here is the list:
- Rubber gloves
- Heatproof bowl
- Mat or cloth on the floor
- Hair clips
- Dark colored cloth or towels
- Shower caps (optional)
- Vaseline jelly or protective balm
- Hair coloring brush or gloves (Any)
How To Test For Allergens:
Before starting, it is important to do a strand test to avoid any after effects. This step is especially important if you have chemically treated your hair in recent times. The henna color usually develops up to 24 hours after application.
To test, mix small amount of henna to a vessel of boiling water. Put on the rubber gloves to section your hair apart. Apply henna to that particular section. Leave for one hour to three hours. Shampoo as normal and rinse off. If you are satisfied with the results, then you can proceed to apply on whole hair.
If you suffer from grey hair, then you should apply henna on your greys while doing the strand test. After application, grey hair sparkles brighter when compared to darker hair.
How to Apply:
- Apply Vaseline balm or protective balm around hairline. Doing this ensures that your skin remains tint free after application.
- Fill henna in a small bowl and add hot water. Stir well to form a smooth thick paste. Remember to make use of hot water because the hotter the henna, the better results you will achieve.
- Put on your rubber gloves. Start applying the henna evenly to clean, dry hair. Work the henna from roots to tips for best effect. Begin from the back of your hair and end at the front. During application, dip the henna bowl in a saucepan so that the henna remains warm.
- Leave the henna for one to two hours.
- Rinse off using a mild shampoo.
The henna color will continue developing up to 24 hours-48 hours after application.
DIY Henna Hair Coloring Treaments:
Henna hair color can provide natural results. You can try these henna packs for achieving a healthy mane.
Henna & Amla Pack:
- 2 cups henna powder
- 1/2 cup amla powder
- 2 tsp shikakai powder
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp lemon juices
- 1 spoon tulsi powder
- 1 tsp bring raj powder
Mix all these ingredients together with tea or coffee decoction. Stir well to form a smooth, thick paste. Apply the mixture onto hair, the next day. Rinse off after 45 minutes or one hour. Cover your hair with a shower cap to keep your hair moist and warm.
Henna, coffee, and beetroot Pack:
- 2 cups henna
- Tea liquor
- 1 whole lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp coffee powder
- 1 cup beet root juice
Pour the henna in a glass bowl and add tea or coffee decoction. Mix continually until all lumps disappear. Next, add the coffee powder. Soak the mixture overnight. Add the egg white, lemon juice, and beetroot juice to the henna mixture the next day. Stir well. Apply the henna evenly on hair. Leave the pack for two to three hours. Rinse off the henna using plain water and mild shampoo.
DIY Henna Hair Growth Oil:
Henna is popularly used for hair strengthening and hair re-growth. It provides a healthy sheen to hair, and promotes healthy hair naturally:
- 5 cups henna powder
- ¼ kg gingili oil
Boil gingili oil until it turns warm. Add the henna powder. Bring it to boil for 5-6 minutes. Set off to cool and store this mixture. Apply this oil twice or thrice a week for two months.
DIY Henna & Mustard oil Hair Pack:
This is an age-old remedy for promoting hair growth.
- 2 cups henna
- ½ cup fenugreek seeds
- Two tsp mustard oil
Soak the henna and fenugreek seeds separately in water. Store it overnight. Grind the fenugreek seeds in the morning to form a smooth paste. Mix the fenugreek paste and mustard oil onto henna. Mix thoroughly. Apply the pack onto scalp and hair. Keep the hair pack for two hours. Rinse off using water. Follow up with a mild shampoo.
DIY Henna Hair Conditioner:
Henna acts as a natural hair conditioner to smoothen out rough hair and add luster. You can try this DIY henna hair conditioner for promoting healthy hair.
- 1 cups henna powder
- 1 cup amla powder
- 2 tsp hibiscus flower powder
- 2 tsp methi powder
- 1 tsp orange peel powder
Mix all of the ingredients together. Store for an hour and add curd to the mixture, one hour before applying henna to hair. Cover hair in a plastic wrap for best protection. Rinse off after one hour using a mild shampoo.
DIY Dandruff Henna Hair Pack:
You can make a natural hair pack made with henna, curd, and fenugreek for treating dandruff problem and keep scalp moisturized.
- 1 cup fenugreek seeds
- 2 cups curd
- 1 cup henna
- 1 lemon
Soak the fenugreek seeds in curd overnight. Grind the seeds in the mixer next day. Add one tsp henna and one tsp lemon juice to the fenugreek paste. Stir well. Apply the pack directly onto scalp. Rinse hair after 45 minutes. Do not use shampoo after applying this pack, until next day. Weekly usage of this hair pack can reduce dandruff problem.
Things to remember:
- Henna dye is safe for multiple uses. You can try multiple applications if you desire an intense rich tint.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cup or cling film to keep the henna warm and develop deeper redder colors.
- Leave your hair unwrapped if you desire darker shades.
- The color will appear brighter when applied over grey hair. For best henna hair dye go for multiple henna applications.
- Do not apply henna if you are down with cold, fever, and menstruation.
- Applying henna on a weekly basis can treat dandruff problem.
- You can use henna as a conditioner because there are no side effects to it.
- Hair gets properly nourished and smooth.
- Henna can treat headache and insomnia.
- You can do oiling before henna application. This can add a glossy finish to your hair. Applying oil onto hair also prevents henna color from penetrating into hair, leaving hair in its natural form.
- Leave henna on your hair for longer period to repair damaged hair better, and to leave it nourished and healthy.
Are you ready to turn heads with your gorgeous tresses? Share us your thoughts on henna hair treatment in the comment box below:
Images Source: pinterest