You must have heard about Fenugreek seeds or methi seeds found in almost every Indian kitchen. Well, fenugreek is a condiment in general but it has medicinal applications as well especially when it comes to hair growth. But before understanding its benefits regarding hair, let’s understand what exactly are fenugreek seeds and are they actually good for our hair?
Dig in to find out!
What are Fenugreek seeds?
Fenugreek seeds also known as methi are basically herbs belonging to the soy family. Many people use its fresh and dried seeds, roots as a spice flavoring agent and supplement. These seeds also have medicinal applications like they promote good health, hair growth, inducing labor, soothing skin irritation, and improving the digestive system.
Are Fenugreek Seeds Good For Hair?
We all have been hearing from our grandmothers and mothers that fenugreek seeds can make our hair grow stronger and healthier than ever. And not only our hair, in fact, they also have other applications as well which we as youngsters aren’t aware of. For instance, Fenugreek helps in improving digestion, treats skin irritation, lowers blood sugar levels, promotes weight loss, controls diabetes, and whatnot. In short, fenugreek seeds’ health benefits are countless.
Fenugreek Benefits For Hair Growth
Fenugreeks are not just mere spices that are used in cooking, they do have some extraordinary medicinal properties that make them special. These seeds are rich in vitamins A, K, and C and minerals like potassium, calcium, and iron which are beneficial for hair growth. Moreover, they are enriched with protein and nicotinic acid as well that prevent hair fall.
Coming back to its benefits related to hair, let’s have a look at the long list of advantages of methi seeds for hair.
Boosts Scalp Health: Fenugreek seeds consist of lecithin that moisturizes your scalp and hair efficiently which eventually leads to improved scalp health.
Prevents Hair Loss: Fenugreek is enriched with amino acid and contains lecithin which nourishes your hair and scalp root thus preventing hair loss effectively.
Treats Damaged Hair: Methi seeds are a great source of proteins, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that work together in order to repair the damaged hair caused due to various reasons like pollution, dehydration, color treatments, etc.
Prevents Dandruff: Fenugreek seeds have antifungal and antibacterial properties which prevent and control microbial infections that cause itchiness and dandruff on your scalp.
Averts Premature Grey Hair: When there is a deficit in the melanin production which is responsible for giving dark color to your hair naturally, that’s when premature greying of hair begins. However, fenugreek perfectly balances the deficit and prevents your hair from greying.
Adds Shine and Texture: Fenugreek is enriched with mucilaginous fibre that maintains the moisture in your hair strands. Thus improving and giving it a lustrous texture.
Works As A Conditioner: Fenugreek if mixed with olive oil can give you silky, smooth, and manageable hair instantly just like your hair conditioner.
Promotes Hair Growth: Methi seeds are a great source of proteins and minerals that are essential for hair growth. Thus, therefore the use of methi seeds is recommended when you are aiming for hair growth.
Combat Oily And Itchy Scalp: You can easily get rid of the oily scalp by applying fenugreek paste to your hair as fenugreek seeds wash off dirt and other impurities causing oily scalp.
Strengthens Hair: Fenugreek seeds have high protein content which helps strengthen the hair.
Prevents scalp inflammation: Fenugreek aka methi seeds have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and pain in your hair roots.
How To Use Fenugreek For Different Hair Problems?
Here are some quick, cost-effective, and safe fenugreek home-made packs for hair growth and cure to hair fall:
1. Fenugreek Seeds
This fenugreek seed hair treatment will control hair fall, make hair smoother, help in hair growth, and also cleanse the scalp. Nicotinic acid in it catalyses hair growth while lecithin nourishes hair, and protein helps cure baldness. If you are suffering from any of the above problems, follow the below steps to prepare methi seed pack beneficial for hair.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- The next day, grind it and make it into a paste.
- Take the paste and add lemon juice or water to make its consistency medium.
- Massage it thoroughly onto your scalp, gently, covering all of it.
- Leave it on for 45 minutes to an hour and wash it off using lukewarm water.
- You need not shampoo since the warmth of the water will help in the hassle-free removal of the paste.
- Make sure you wash thoroughly but gently.
2. Fenugreek Seeds With Coconut Oil For Hair Growth
The lecithin in fenugreek helps nourishing your hair and make roots strong and heal the scalp too. This methi hair pack has always proven to be beneficial and it works like a charm for hair growth. Just read on the steps to prepare this pack and you’ll be good to go.
- Mix fenugreek seeds with coconut oil to get an added benefit for hair.
- Add 2 tablespoons of seeds to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and boil it until the seeds turn reddish.
- Let the oil cool down and remove the seeds.
- Massage the lukewarm oil on your scalp and hair, keep overnight and shampoo the next day.
- Apply methi for hair growth benefits at least twice a week for best results.
3. Cure For Itchy Scalp
This hair mask helps cure itchy scalp because of lecithin in fenugreek and the egg helps to get smooth, soft, bouncy, and shiny hair. To make this beneficial fenugreek seed pack, read on the following steps
- Soak a cup of fenugreek seeds in water and paste it the next day.
- Add an egg yolk to the paste and mix it properly to get rid of the slippery feel of the egg.
- Massage it on your hair and scalp like a hair mask and leave it on for at least 30 minutes after which you can wash it off with water at normal temperature.
- Apply shampoo to remove the egg’s smell after you have washed your hair.
4. Hair Loss Treatment With Fenugreek
Protein in fenugreek helps in hair growth and treating baldness. Thus, if you apply the following methi dana pack, you are sure to see some definite results. So check out the steps to prepare a fenugreek plus coconut oil pack.
- Take two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds, put them into a mixer and churn them to a fine powder-like texture.
- Take this powder in a bowl and add olive oil or coconut oil to it.
- Apply the paste on areas with reduced hair and on damaged hair and wash it off with mild shampoo after it dries up.
5. Eating Fenugreek Seeds For Shiny, Lustrous Locks
Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds overnight in two glasses of water. Remove the seeds and drink the water in the morning on an empty stomach. This has innumerable benefits among which hair growth is stimulated and hair stays nourished too.
6. Dandruff Treatment With Fenugreek
Those who have extreme dandruff, use fenugreek paste with curd on hair thrice a week. The lecithin in it will surely help you get rid of dandruff if you continue with the treatment.
7. Split End Solution
Hair gets split and dry and damaged because of over-exposure to pollution. The Hair becomes rough as the scalp dries up to give way to more dandruff. One cannot apply oil regularly since oil allows dust to stick to the hair thereby making it impossible to go outside with oil in the hair. Rough hair is more prone to split ends. This leads to a stoppage in the growth of the hair. To end this, follow the following steps:
- Apply fenugreek paste on your hair religiously 3 times a week.
- The acids in it will help it grow, the protein will nourish it and lecithin will help you have a healthy scalp.
8. Fenugreek as a Hair conditioner
If you have unmanageable hair and also if your hair is losing its natural moisture and oils too fast, you need to condition your hair regularly. And one of the fenugreek uses happens to be hair conditioning.
- Take about 8-10 grams of methi seeds and soak them in water overnight.
- Next morning instead of drinking fenugreek seeds soaked in water, make a fine paste and apply it all over the hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it off with cool water.
- This methi hair mask works its miracle and conditions the hair efficiently, leaving it lustrous and shining.
9. Fenugreek seeds for excess oil control
If you are suffering from excess oil secretion on the scalp which might further lead to dandruff-related problems, an advisable option is a mix of fenugreek seeds with apple cider vinegar.
- Take a fistful of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight.
- Following morning, grind them into a fine paste and blend it with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a fair amount of water to even out the acidic nature of the mix.
- Wash the hair with this mixture and watch the acidic power of the apple cider vinegar absorb the excess oil and the fenugreek paste nourish the hair.
10. Premature Greying Treatment
Curry leaves as such have many benefits in regard to health. Apart from that a combination of fenugreek seeds with the curry leaves has proven to be effective in addressing the premature greying of the hair.
- Boil the curry leaves and put them in a blender along with soaked fenugreek seeds.
- Make a fine paste of both the ingredients and apply this mixture to the hair roots.
- Let the paste settle in for about 30 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
11. Hair strengthening and damage reversal
Hair is every girl’s precious asset. And we all spend quality time nourishing it to build its strength. One such phenomenal technique that would strengthen the hair and caress the damaged part involves fenugreek seeds.
- Soak 4 tablespoons of methi seeds overnight and make a paste out of it.
- Mix it with adequate coconut milk and apply it to the scalp and hair.
- Cover it either with a towel or shower cap for half an hour.
- Rinse it off and see the miracle.
12. Fenugreek hair mask as hair thinning solution
Methi seeds have innumerable benefits and one of the benefits is it is a thickening solution. You can get thick hair by applying the following mask as follows:
- Boil the fenugreek seeds and let them soak overnight in coconut oil.
- Use a strainer and filter the oil.
- Apply this residue oil on the scalp for 10-15 minutes.
- Follow this regime thrice a week for thick shiny hair.
Methi is something we all know of but is fenugreek good for hair was something many did not know about. Consumption of fenugreek also helps in cleansing the digestive system which means decreased hair fall and healthy tresses. This is a wonder found in every Indian kitchen. So do not waste time and start your fenugreek or methi hair treatment soonest.
Hair Masks Made From Fenugreek
The below listed hair masks made from methi dana seeds are highly effective. Moreover, they are easy to prepare and that’s what makes them more feasible.
Methi Plus Amla Hair Mask For Restoring Hair Health
You must have heard a lot about Amla’s benefits. Well, Amla is enriched with various minerals and vitamins beneficial for hair. Amla is also advantageous for treating baldness, thinning of hair, and resolving the issue of hairfall. Thus, to prepare a healthy hair mask consisting of amla, follow the below steps
- Take a bowl and add two tbsp of amla powder and methi powder.
- Mix them together with water to make a smooth taste.
- Now massage your scalp with this smooth paste gently with your fingertips.
- Moreover, apply this paste to your hair tips as well for better results.
- Tie your hair with a bun and leave this mask for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and repeat this procedure weekly.
Methi Plus Hibiscus Hair Mask To Prevent Brittle Hair
Hibiscus is another great ingredient to add to your hair mask. It is the best for treating dry hair because it is enriched with calcium which further helps prevent dryness. Moreover, it also contains Vitamin A which promotes sebum production, which in turn moisturizes the hair and scalp properly. Furthermore, even the hibiscus leaves are no waste. In fact, they also contain vitamins, amino acids, etc. beneficial for hair. So if you are using hibiscus, do not throw away the leaves because they are equally important as the flower’s petals. To make a beneficial hibiscus mask, please follow the below steps.
- Collect a handful of hibiscus flowers and leaves and wash them properly.
- Grind leaves and petals of hibiscus with water to make a fine paste.
- Now take out the paste from the grinder and add methi powder into it.
- Take this resultant mixture and apply it to your scalp and tips.
- Leave this mixture on your hair for at least 30-40 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo and repeat the procedure once or twice a week.
Methi Plus Curry Leaves Hair Mask For Shiny And Long Hair
Curry leaves are extremely advantageous for hair as it contains calcium, phosphorus, fiber, amino acids, anti-oxidants, etc. All these nutrients are helpful to promote hair growth and strengthen hair strands. Furthermore, if you are someone suffering from Vitamin B that is responsible for hair fall, then you should definitely apply this mask as curry leaves are rich in vitamin b and can fulfill your deficiency easily. To prepare the mask, follow the following steps.
- Soak methi seeds overnight.
- Use those methi seeds and grind them to make a smooth paste.
- Take a handful of curry leaves, add water and make a smooth paste of them as well.
- Now mix these two pastes together to prepare the resultant mixture.
- Apply this resultant mixture from the roots to the tips of your hair and let it stay for an hour.
- Wash off this mixture with a mild shampoo and apply this mask once or twice a week.
Methi Plus Yogurt Mask To Maintain A Healthy Scalp
Many of us fail to maintain a healthy scalp. But not anymore. Applying this homemade methi mask will not just keep your scalp healthy but your hair happy. Yogurt is rich in minerals like zinc, calcium, etc that work exceptionally well together to repair your hair. Lactic acid present in the yogurt is also beneficial for hair and helps to exfoliate the scalp. Moreover, it also eliminates the impurities produced by the scalp itself and rejuvenates and boosts the scalp’s health altogether. So, to boost your scalp health, follow the following steps:
- Soak methi seeds in water overnight.
- Now take those methi seeds and grind them with water to make a fine paste.
- Add half a cup of yogurt and mix it with methi paste.
- Now apply this resultant mixture and apply it your hair gently and let it sit for an hour
- Rinse off this mask with a gentle shampoo and apply this mixture once or twice a week.
FenuGreek And Coconut Oil Mask To Boost Hair Texture And Nourish Hair Naturally
We all are aware of how coconut oil has been used over the years to keep our hair healthy and strong. The reason behind it is because of its rich content of protein. A lack of proteins are responsible for the loss of hair. Thus, coconut oil restores the lost protein and prevents hair fall. That’s why coconut oil is recommended by doctors and ancestors to prevent hair loss. Steps to prepare beneficial methi seed and coconut oil hair mask.
- Add 1-2 tbsp methi powder to coconut oil to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your hair from roots to tips
- Let this mask stay for at least 30-40 mins
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo and reapply this mask at least once a week.
These were some special hair masks that you can apply to your hair for better texture, nourishment, hair growth, and other benefits that you desire for your hair. Additionally, these masks are easy to prepare and show exceptional results within 2-3 weeks of their application.
Is fenugreek seed water beneficial for hair?
Yes, fenugreek seed is beneficial for hair. Just, boil fenugreek seeds with water and apply it to boost hair growth.
How to use methi seeds for hair growth?
Make fenugreek hair packs mentioned above for hair growth.
How often can you use Fenugreek seeds?
It is safe to use once a week.
Who should use Fenugreek?
Anyone in general can use fenugreek. But those who are suffering from hair problems or have coarse hair, they can use it once a week to see effective results.
Is there any risk of using fenugreek seeds?
Pregnant ladies and usage with medications for conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol should be avoided because it can lead to abnormal contractions and side effects respectively.
How to Use Fenugreek Powder for Hair?
You can use fenugreek powder with water to make a fine paste or use other ingredients mentioned above to promote good hair health.
Hi my name is Mohammed and I’ve been suffering from crown baldness although since the day I discovered that fenugreek seeds can wipe away the issue I’ve got I’ve been using it almost regularly. The issue has not overcome though I do see some changes. After reading your article concerned with the fenugreek usage I wanted to ask u a question about mixing fenugreek with onion is it beneficial some how.
Mix onion juice in methi+kalonji seeda soaked overnight = It’ll do magic.
How many days apply nethi+curd paste
hi paste of fenugreek seed should apply on oily hair or dry hair?
How and where can I get the product?
I am suffering with severe hair loss issue, to the point where I am starting to get bald in the frontal area. I made the onion oil along with fenurgreek seeds in it the other day. Is it okay to apply this mixture overnight? or for how long should this be applied for? I applied this mixture for the first times yesterday night and then when i washed my hair this morning I had lot of hair fall, I am not sure if this is common for first couple of times? Appreciate the response.