‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ is what we all have grown up listening. Yeah, this fruit is jam-packed with nutritional benefits. Plus, its juice is no less! The purpose of this blog is to educate you on the benefits of apple juice.
PS- Don’t end up sidelining the fruit part. Both apple fruit and its juice have their own value and standing.
What is Apple Juice?
Apple juice is the healthiest juice. It keeps you away from diseases and ailments, and promotes healthy body with its disease-fighting power-packed vitamins, phytonutrients, etc. which fight cancer.
Nutritional Values in One Glass of Apple Juice
When you are drinking a cup of apple juice, your body is getting 10 different types of vitamins at the same time.
This sweet drink (without any added sugar) gives you a moderate amount of carbs (through natural fructose and glucose), minerals such as calcium, potassium (a single serving delivering roughly 7% of your daily required intake), iron, manganese and magnesium. All-natural apple juice also provides vitamins C and B6.
[Also Read: O Blood Type Diet ]
A single glass of apple juice (measuring 8 fluid ounces) gives you
- 219 grams of water
- 114 calories per serving
- 1/4 gram of protein
- Less than 1/2 gram of fat
- 1/2 gram of dietary fiber
- Almost 24 grams per serving of high sugar (which is why, the carbohydrate content is so high in apple juice).
- Rich source of polyphenols
- 2.2 milligrams of Vitamin C
Apple’s nutrition facts:
Do you know the power of ‘apple skin’? Well, it has the maximum nutrients in apple (apart from the one found just below the skin).
Vitamin A, C, and B6 – apple juice has good amount of them.
Here is the List of Apple Juice Benefits for Hair, Skin and Health:
1. Apple juice for glowing skin:
Apple Juice is a good home remedy in treating skin problems namely itching and inflammation of skin, cracked skin, acne, pimples, and wrinkles.
Food for thought-Raw apple juice has enough of vitamin C to keep your skin, tendons and ligaments healthy by producing enough collagen.
2. Apple juice for diabetes prevention
Drinking of apple juice is linked with lowering the risk of Type 2 Diabetes. Apple has plenty of phyto-chemicals which are good for regulating blood sugar.
Note: Green apple (in particular) is good for diabetes owing to its rich fiber content.
3. Apple juice for weight loss
A good news for weight watchers. Apple juice has low calorific value. Since the apple juice is full of fiber, it makes your stomach full and prevents you from overeating.
Apple juice has low levels of sodium which helps in releasing excess of water from the body. When there is extra water in the body, it gives the impression of heaviness and obesity.
4. Apple juice is good for heart
Apple juice is loaded with antioxidants, potassium and bio-chemical compounds (such as flavonoids and polyphenols) which promote healthy heart.
Note: Regular consumption of apple juice prevents the hardening of arteries (because of the rich amount of vitamin C).
5. Apple juice for asthma prevention
Flavonoid-loaded, apple juice is effective in preventing asthma attacks. Anti-oxidants in the apple juice promote smooth functioning of your lungs.
Note: Drinking apple juice on a regular basis cuts down the risk factor of getting asthma by about 30-40 per cent!
6. Apple juice for liver health
Liver cleanser? This is what apple juice is. The alkaline nature of the juice of apple helps flush out toxins and other waste products from the body.
Note: Apple juice is good in maintaining the pH level of the body.
7. Apple juice prevents cancer
Here is some major ‘relief’ for cancer patients. Apple juice helps combat cancer, particularly lung cancer and colon cancer.
Note: How does cancer-prevention happen due to apples? You need to thank the flavonoids and phenolic acids in apple for it.
8. Apple juice improves immunity
Adequate amount of Vitamin C in apple juice is a big boost to your immunity level. That’s how it prevents you from multiple diseases caused by virus and bacteria.
Note: Vitamin C and iron in apple juice is also effective in making stronger bones.
9. Apple juice cures constipation
I know it might sound tough to digest but APPLE JUICE contains a natural laxative – “Sorbitol”. This helps in extracting water from the large intestine into colon, and helps in easy passage of stool.
Note: By the way, Bowel movement also reduces the chances of colon cancer.
10. Apple Juice Reduces Cholesterol:
According to reports, polyphenols and antioxidant compounds found in apples and apple juice help inhibit the presence of “bad” cholesterol.
Note: Also called ‘oxidation’ of LDL cholesterol, bad cholesterol can lead to buildup of plaque in the arteries.
11. Apple Juice Makes The Bones Strong & Healthy:
The juice of Apples has plenty of healthy nutrients (vitamin C, iron, boron etc.) which combine to make your bone structure strong and healthy.
12. Apple Juice Improves Eye Health:
Seb ka Ras (or apple juice) has sufficient quantity of vitamin A. This helps in improving the eye vision and also preventing eye disorders.
Apple Juice and Beauty – what’s the connection? Move to your kitchen for answers.
Beauty Benefits Of Apple Juice:
Apple juice brings wonderful advantages to the skin and hair. In fact, it is widely used in natural remedies for treating skin-related problems and issues like skin itching, inflammation of the skin, cracked skin and wrinkles.
Some DIY apple juice home remedies for you to try out –
1. Apple Face Cleanser
- Mix 1 tsp apple juice, 2 tbsp milk and 1 tsp honey.
- Blend all these ingredients well. Massage it on your face for few minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
Apple has natural fruit acids which help in reducing blackheads, whiteheads. Thereby, get you a clear and spotless complexion.
2. Apple Juice for Fairness
- Mix apple juice, honey, rose water and oatmeal in a bowl.
- Apply it on your dull skin.
- Wash it with lukewarm water, and see your natural fairness come back.
3. Anti-Ageing and Wrinkles
- Grate a green apple first.
- Squeeze the juice out of it and apply it on your face.
- This remedy will help you ward off wrinkles and signs of ageing.
4. Combat Itchiness, eczema, and severe skin dryness: Just apply apple juice or the pulp of apple.
5. Got Dark circles?? Just dab apple juice on your under-eye circles to lighten them.
6. Got pesky dandruff?? Just apply apple juice on your hair for a few minutes. And see, dandruff and other scalp disorders vanish off in thin air.
Precautions To Follow
Apples are ready to harvest in the fall. That’s why they make for tasty juice. But you need to exercise few precautions in choosing the apple:
- Windfall apples could be contaminated with bacteria (such as E. coli O157:H7)
- Therefore, pasteurize the raw apple juice before drinking it by heating the same to 160 degrees
- For pregnant women, eating raw apple is an advisable option over apple juice. With whole apples, the expecting woman can get more fibre (which is lacking in juice)
- Keep the consumption of apple juice to a minimum. Try to include whole apples in your diet.
How to Make Apple Juice
Finally, recipe time!
Though apple juice is available all over the world, it’s nice to make apple juice on your own.
What you Need: 8-10 apples, and 2 tsp cinnamon
- Clean the apples first
- Slice each apple into 12-15 chunks
- Fill a large pot or vessel with enough water (to cover the fruit chunks) and the apples.
- Warm the water on slow flame (and bring it to a low simmer)
- This will get the apple chunks to begin breaking down
- Mash the apples in between to speed up the breaking-down process
- Now strain the mashed apples through a strainer into a jar
- Press the mash as much as you can so that ample juice comes out
- You need not discard the apple mash, as it can be used to make Applesauce.
- Filter the apple juice through cheesecloth (so that you get a thin consistency)
- Chill the juice
- Serve and enjoy (and vice-versa).
Tips: In the absence of a true pasteurization machine, most people make something between apple cider and apple juice. No worries, it is still delicious and easy to prepare!
Note: PLEASE DON’T REMOVE THE APPLE PEEL as there may be loss of nutrients
Final Words about Apple Juice Benefits
As you can see, the benefits of drinking apple juice are extensive. Whatever your goal may be, feel healthy, look better, or simply invest in your body, just by adding a glass of apple juice to your regular daily routine. This is a great choice.
So ladies, stock up on apples, pull out your juicer and start juicing for good health and beauty!
Do write in your comments on how you found this post. When are you including the apple juice in your diet plan? Type your answers this very minute. Thanks!