The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much, even if subjected to accidental injuries or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts, and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.— Charaka Samhita: Sutrasthana: V: 88-89
What Is Ayurvedic Massage?
Before we tell you all about the best ayurvedic oils that can heal and rejuvenate the body; get to know what is Abhyanga! Abhyanga is the art of body anointing with herbal and holistic oils, which is warm and infused into the body entirely before you bathe. In using ayurvedic massage oils, there are certain benefits the body gets- health and mental wise, therapy too which can clear mental and physical disorders.
Everyone can have abhyanga incorporated for their daily routine and needs, with ayurvedic massages, irrespective of the age group and walk of life they belong or come from. ayurvedic massages are for everyone!
In ancient Sanskrit texts, SNEHA means love and oil, and the abhyanga effects are pretty much the same as well. The art of using ayurvedic body massage oils well enough brings about warmth, stability and enough comfort to the body, the mind and the soul- SNEHA involved here, which is subtle and pleasing. In using this concept, the oils permeate through various channels of the skin and into the body, entering every cell and thus rejuvenating every aspect on the physical and mental self.
The Seven Dhatus
In ayurveda, we get to learn about dhatus- seven of them- tissues of the body or layers. Every single dhatu has the power of giving life and is very concentrated, and hence the abhyanga or sneha method is to be used to get to the deepest layer of each. This is why, fifteen minutes of massage minimum would be used when ayurvedic massage oil treatments are done.
The Benefits Of Oil Massage
With the best hands at giving you an ayurvedic oil for muscle pain, the benefits of ayurveda come through and through- you get to experience the following –
- Softness to the body
- More strength to the body
- Better vision
- Better body nourishment
- Better sleep
- Better skin health
- Better immunity
- Better limb firmness
- Better body toning
- Better organ stimulation
- Better circulation
- Better dosha balancing
Vata Specific Oils To Be Used
In ayurveda, before the administering of oils for body massage is done, the vata dosha needs to be checked and balanced. Oils for vata pacifying ayurvedic oil massage would be-
- Seasame oil, which is called the king of oils in the oil kingdom, is known to be the best oil for vata pacifying since it can warm the body.
- Almond oil is a good choice for vata pacifying too and especially if the vikriti is high
- To gain more stamina and strength, Bala oils or ashwagandha oils can be used for vata pacification
Best Oils To Balance The Pitta
To have the best pitta balancing oils in an ayurvedic abhyanga massage, one would need the following oils-
- Brahmi oil for the head and the toes which can help with sound sleep and combats insomnia too
- Bhringraj oil to help combat anxiety pangs and nervous attacks, promotes sound sleep as well
- Coconut oil for the abhyanga massage needs
- Neem oil can help relax and rejuvenate the body as well
[ Also Read: Panchakarma Treatment: Purify Your Mind And Soul ]
The Best Oils For Kapha
To help increase the kapha in the body, abhyanga massages with certain oils would be helpful. For example-
- Olive oil which should be good enough to use as a pacifying oil for body massages
- Corn oil which is used to balance the kapha and relax the nerves.
So here it is, the many oils that can be used for body and head massages explained. You have also been told about the various benefits too, so why wait. However, when getting ayurvedic massage oil for weight loss and using the ayurvedic oil massage benefits, do check with a certified holistic specialist on the same.