Be it a top knot, a messy side parted or the bold mid-parted ones, buns are the “It” hairstyle of this season. With us progressing towards the festive, party and most importantly wedding season, this hair updo has to be our go-to hairstyle.
[Also Read: Popular Bollywood Hairstyles]
Buns have a knack to lift up any look and take it a notch higher. Be it a bold edgy look you want to carry or a soft romantic look, you just have to roll those tresses the right way. For those of you, who have 4 bad hair days in a week, a bun has to be your best friend.
Even our celebs seem to agree and are making that switch from flaunting their blow dried tresses to more glamorous buns. Now when these fashion influencers are onto something, you know that it ought to be big this season.
Scroll down to see how your favorites are carrying this hairdo along with a quick guide for you to try them too.
There is some magic in side buns. They seem to perfectly blend in, irrespective of your hair length, occasion or the ensemble. A side-swept hairstyle never fails to add some lady-like grace to your look keeping it soft and romantic.
Our tinsel town divas love it too and keep coming back to this one.
For the Diwali episode of Superdancer show, Shilpa dressed up her Manish Malhotra saree with a pretty side parted bun making her look more divalicious. Stylist Sanjana Batra styled it with a gajra adding more Indian-ness to this Diwali special.
For a recent PC Jeweler event in Ghaziabad, hair stylist Rolika, complimented Huma’s sunshine look by Rtitka Mirchandani with a beautiful side swept bun. The hair updo surely elevated the lady’s charm adding a bit of softness and grace. Kudos to stylist Sanajana Batra who is making all the right moves in putting together perfect looks.
For the Jewel One event in Salem, stylist Neeraja Kona have the fashionista a very graceful look pairing a tie and dye Resha by Medhavini saree with a dotted Tulsi Online blouse. Suhani Pittie earrings, Puree Ghee Designs clutch and a side parted messy bun accentuated Samantha’s look. We are totally loving the softness rendered by her tresses loosely rolled up into a side swept hairstyle.
For the Filmfare Glamour and Style Awards, hairstylist Marce Pedrozo gave Disha a chic romantic side parted bun to elevate her beautiful red gown from Falguni and Shane Peacock. We heart her Red Carpet hairdo with no prominent partings, keeping her look uber chic.
For accepting her Trendsetting Cool Award at the ET Panache award, Sonam Kapoor dazzled in Delpozo sheer gown and Nirav Modi Constellation hoop earrings. Stylist and sister Rhea Kapoor gave Sonam a neat slick back side parted bun. This one was a rather unusual one, with bunch of her tresses beautifully overlapping to create a more dramatic yet neat hairstyle. The lady looking befitting for accepting her trendsetter award, made a bold statement with her bun.
The Happy Bhaag Jayegi star made for a classy yet glamorous appearance at the Filmfare Glamour and Style Awards evening dressed in a beige Falguni and Shane ensemble. Hair stylist Avni Nambhia, gave this model-actress a befitting side parted slick bun for the gown and her frame to enjoy the spotlight. The lady looked neat and surely left an impact with this one.
Steps to a perfect romantic Side Parted Bun
- Give you tresses some texture by blow drying your hair for curly edges. Smoothen from the roots for a neater look.
- Leaving the front section in a side parting, pull back all the remaining hair into a pony tail.
- Seal the front section for the time being with a clip.
- Now take about one-inch section of the pony and back comb it. Once done, roll it backwards like a bread roll toward the pony and secure it with bobby pins,
- Repeat the technique with sections rolling back around the whole pony tail.
- Keep it natural and messy. Once you are happy with the bun, seal it with a hair spray.
- Now for the front section you could do variations depending on the length of your hair.
- You can either leave it down and curl it backwards or braid it and seal it with the bun for some extra drama.
Style Tip: Do make sure the bun looks natural and messy for a soft look. You may wear a head gear or roses for that Indian touch.
Top Knot Buns
When in mood for some power show then top knot buns are the way to go. Top knot buns have this vibe about them, that certainly puts the wearer in a more commanding position. So if you are one who wants to be taken seriously and is not be messed with then this hairstyle could well be your companion, in your struggle.
Two of our favorite trendsetters sported them recently.
For the launch event of a perfume in Sri Lanka, Lolo made a head turning appearance in a monochrome gown from Riddhima Meher. The standout element in this look styled by Esha Amiin is undoubtedly the top knot bun. Karisma’s hair done up in a braided bun definitely added to her charismatic persona. We love that attitude with which she carried this attention seeker.
Sarah Jane Diaz
Sarah was recently captured by the shutterbugs right before an event in a beautiful couture piece from Swapnil Shinde. Stylist Anisha Gandhi gave this look an instant facelift with a top knot. More power now for this superwoman.
Vaani Kapoor has been a pleasant surprise as far as the lady’s style game is concerned. In news for Befikre, the lady rocked a top knot bun with her bespoke Alexis Mabille gown, at the trailer launch in Paris. We now know why Nikhil Thampi and Mohit Rai are style gurus. The bun aided her power packed look just right, playing an instant confident booster for this one film old actress.
Steps to perfect a Sleek Top Knot Bun
- Spray generous amount of dry shampoo onto your roots.
- Now pull back your hair, neatly into a pony using a comb towards the crown, where you did be securing your knot.
- Now take one section of the pony and wrap it around the pony tail to create a base for the bun and secure it with pins.
- Now take another section of the pony and wrap it first around the pony, and next around the base securing it with pins.
- Now with the remaining section wrap it around the bun and seal it nicely with bobby pins.
- This one being a more polished bun so its preferable to stick in all the baby hair in place.
Style Tip: We suggest you wear this bun for cocktail evenings to flaunt your bold side. Pair this hair do with fitted structured outfits and winged liner for a more dramatic look.
Mid parted buns have a mind of their own. With the number of possible variations, they are one of the best hairstyles to compliment your desi avatar. Be it slick back, braided or a normal one, this one oozes Indian-ness and for the festivities, we say it’s a mandate to carry this hair updo at least once.
Amy gave us this Punjaban look wearing a Rimple and Harpreet anarkali for the store launch of Aliyana, Chandigarh. We heart that typical Indian mid-parted bun with braided edges which looks so authentic pulling this traditional look way higher on our radar. This one’s must ladies for the upcoming festivities. Stylist Anisha, please take a bow.
Parineeti gave us some major festive vibe sharing a shot from the shoot for HT cafe. Dressed in a conventional bong avatar in a saree by Jade with a complimenting braided mid-parted bun, this Punjabi girl translated perfectly into a muse from Bengal with help from stylist Sanjana Batra.
Taking the slick back mid parted route, Pooja Hedge gave a slayer performance at the Filmfare Glamour and Style Awards night. Stylist Aastha Sharma gave Pooja an OTT red carpet look pairing a heavy metallic drape from Gaurav Gupta with slick back bun. The mid-parting added to the drama giving Pooja a bold yet beautiful look. This one is one of her best so far.
This living legend has been wearing and inspiring us with her look for years now. Two of Rekha’s staples, a silk saree and that mid-parted bun with gajra, has rendered what we define today as Rekha’s statement style. This evergreen look is a yet another reminder, that mid-parted buns with ethnic combination can never go outdated.
Steps to a sleek or braided mid-parted hair bun
- Straighten or smoothen out your tresses.
- Using a comb with a pointy end, measure up from your nose to the middle of the head to mark the sleek middle part.
- With the mid parting, divide the front portion into two defined sections falling on each side.
- Secure the remaining hair into a low pony tail.
- Now with the edges, if you are eyeing to get a sleek look then smoothen out your tresses further. Pull each section towards the pony and secure it.
- If you are up for braids, then you may braid the two sections and then pull them back.
- Spray on a generous amount of spray.
- Now take the hair behind and twist it into a bun and secure it.
Style Tip: Wear this bun with a bindi and gajra and get yourself grooving onto the desi beats this festive season.
Images Source: pinterest.com