Do you enjoy drinking cranberry juice, but often wonder about the benefits of this native fruit from North America? If you want an answer to the question ‘is cranberry juice good for you?’, then we have a series of cranberry Juice benefits listed below. Delicious in taste and wonderful in healing properties, cranberry juice is a boon from Mother Nature. Here is why:
Cranberry Juice Nutrition Information
- It is one of the richest sources of vitamin C found in nature. Other vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, Vitamin B6, E and K are also present in Cranberries.
- One cup of cranberries holds a capacity of 8983 antioxidant, majorly polyphenol.
- Along with the above two, it has carbohydrates, proteins, minerals like calcium, manganese, potassium, zinc, sodium etc.
|Amout Per Serving
|Calories from Fat 3
|Total Fat 0g
|Saturated Fat 0g
|Total Carbohydrate 31g
|Dietry Fiber 0g
|vitamin A 2%
|Vitamin C 39%
|* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
benefits of Cranberry juice vs unsweetened cranberry juice
100 grams of cranberry juice contains
- 54 calories.
- The fat content is 0.1g and cholesterol is NIL.
- Cranberry juice is loaded with vitamin C, around 70%, and other vitamins including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, E and vitamin K.
- It contains 14 grams carbohydrates.
- It is also rich in antioxidants
- The juice is loaded with minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium and zinc.
100gms of unsweetened cranberry juice contains
- 46 calories.
- The fat content is 0.1g and cholesterol is NIL.
- Unsweetened cranberry juice contains 15% vitamin C, proteins 0.4 g, carbs 12.2g and sugars 12.1 g, which include sucrose, glucose, and fructose.
- Other vitamins including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, E and vitamin K.
Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice
Phytonutrients is found in cranberries and its antioxidants content relieves pain.
We can give you a long list of maladies which can be successfully cured or controlled by using cranberry juice as a remedy. Take a look:
1. Good For Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
A large number of studies have confirmed that cranberry juice is a source of proanthocyanidins that hold anti-clinging properties. These properties stops the bacteria from expanding in numbers and thereafter flushes them out of the system through the process of urination.
Studies have also shown that a regular intake of cranberry juice can reduce the risk of Urinary Tract Infection in middle aged women and those who are pregnant
2. Cranberry Juice For Weight Loss
This delicious drink can be a good option to shed those extra kilos.
The organic acids found in cranberry act as a natural emulsifier on the fat deposits that one might have been storing for ages.
3. Cranberry Juice Detox
A regular dose of cranberry juice can help you flush out toxins from your body. It also prevents the growth of bacteria, thus making infections a very rare occurrence for you.
4. For Cardiovascular Health
Cranberry juice can be an important remedy to prevent a heart disease called atherosclerosis. In this heart disease, the arteries of the cardiovascular system starts getting clogged with fat deposits and growing calcium and cholesterol in the blood. The flavonoids that are found in cranberry restrict such problems.
5. Prevents Tooth Decay
Cranberry has a special component that takes care of your oral health. Proanthocyanidin is what keeps the mouth clean by lowering acidic formations and prevents the prevalence of plaque.
6. Cures Cold and other infections
Yes, cranberries are known to have anti-bacterial features and can be a good preventive medicine in seasons when you are prone to infections. Also as the nutrients present in cranberry make your immune system stay strong; it is possible that you are not affected by the many viral infections that do the rounds.
7. Prevents Scurvy
Scurvy is a very common disease caused mainly by the deficiency of vitamin C. A regular intake of cranberry juice can keep your Vitamin C levels high. The benefit of having good levels of vitamin C is that it makes way for the formation of collagen, which takes care of our tissues.
8. Boosts Immunity
Cranberry juice is a rich treasure of antioxidants. An inclusion of this juice during any of your meals boots the immunity, makes you healthy and keeps you active and away from sicknesses.
9. Prevents Kidney Stones
Cranberry juice is a good remedy for kidney stones. The polyphenol compounds in cranberry work well in breaking down kidney stones. This can make it easier to flush out the granules through urine.
10. Lung Inflammation
Cranberries are found to have a particular healing substance that is called nondialyzable material or NDM, which can prevent the influenza virus from striking the healthy lung cells. The anti-inflammatory result of this benefit keeps the lungs strong and safe.
11. Strengthens Bones
Cranberry is a vital source of calcium. On top of its natural content, many juice companies add further calcium to their composition and make it an ideal choice for strengthening bones. The calcium builds up bones and helps in bone repair, making orthopaedic diseases like osteoporosis stay away from you.
[Also Read: Raisins Strengthens Bones ]
12. Peptic Ulcers
The bacteria group called Helicobacter Pylori is responsible for peptic ulcers that cause inflammation of the walls of the digestive channel. The anti-bacterial compounds in cranberry called flavonoids can actively prevent such bacterial growth.
Other Benfits Of Cranberry Juice
Apart from these clinical benefits, there are other various magic elements stored up in great volumes that make cranberry juice useful for personal care too.
13. Anti Ageing Benefits
The richness of phytonutrients and antioxidants in cranberries benefits people from cell damage that are caused by radical molecules, thus averting ageing and also keeping your skin fresh and beautiful.
14. Hair Growth
The miracle juice surely gives you beautiful hair too. Vitamin A and C are the two main ingredients that are required for hair to have a healthy growth. This juice has all.
Also, its anti-fungal properties protect the scalp from dandruff, psoriasis and other problems when topically applied on the scalp. And if you want a natural hair colour, you can make a dye with natural cranberry juice too.
Though this juice has a solution for almost everything you might face, it should be consumed in moderate quantities. It must be remembered that the benefits just work for prevention and do not guarantee a cure.
Cranberry Juice Side Effects
The juice has a few side effects that need to be kept in mind before you start getting addicted to it.
- People suffering with the health condition of interstitial cystitis should be very careful. Intake of cranberry juice can worsen the situation in this case.
- Though we have discussed earlier that this juice helps in making teeth strong and fights plaque, an excessive consumption can also damage the teeth enamel.
- Those who have a history of diabetes and those who are suffering from any stomach disorder; they should avoid having cranberry juice as it can cause diarrhoea and elevated blood sugar levels.
- The consumption of cranberry juice has also been observed to meddle with a few forms of medications, especially heart medicines. A combination of both inside your body can lead to conditions of internal bleeding, which if not checked can prove to be fatal.
- Consuming large amounts of cranberry juice can cause an upset stomach.
Warfarin is a drug that is popularly used as a blood thinner. It acts as an anticoagulant to reduce the chances of any blood clots to occur in our body. The incidence of these clots can make serious obstructive problems in the cardio vascular system. Thus, the intake of the drug becomes essential for patients who are at a risk of such an ailment. The essential observation that brings us to discuss this is that cranberry has been noted to react adversely to this drug inside our bodies. Intake of the juice is therefore strictly restricted for people who have been prescribed this drug.
Thus by studying the many advantages of this fruit from the west we can conclude that cranberry is surely beneficial for all. But, what is to be checked is how much of it do you need to relish, to be in the best of health.
Images Source: pinterest