For generations’ lemons have been actively used in recipes, in cleaning hacks as well as for maintaining skin and hair. Each portion of the fruit; from its’ juice, to pulp and peel can be judiciously utilized for beauty benefits. Whether you need it as a toner or face pack or even as bleaching agent on the face, lemon juice comes handy.
[Also Read: Side Effects Of Amla Juice]
Rejuvenating, exfoliating and lightening skin are only a few of its perks! Although lemon juice, when used suitably, can revitalize your skin, however if used incorrectly can induce severe skin reactions leading to allergy or blemishing. No girl wants such worries! For hassle-free skin care; read on to learn about the side effects of lemon juice and how to take caution when using it for skin care along with its’ directions for correct usage.
What Does Lemon Juice Do For Your Skin?
Before using lemon juice on face, you need to understand what does lemon juice do for your skin. Then you can use lemon juice accordingly for your skin type –
- Oily Skin – Toner or in Face Pack
- Dry Skin – Only Face Pack
- Sensitive skin – Diluted form of Lemon in Face Packs
- Revitalizes Skin – Due to environmental factors, deficiency of sleep and stress, skin can experience premature ageing and dullness. Lemon Juice contains Vitamin C which acts as an anti-oxidant and provides aid in restoring skin vigor and vitality.
- Skin Whitening – Vitamin C along with citric acid assists in diminishing blemishes and dark spots. It can even help brighten skin on knees and elbows.
- Exfoliation – Dead skin gives a dry and dull appearance. The Citric acid in lemon helps to shed the dead cells off your skin and enhances skin brightness.
[Also Read: Home Remedies For Dandruff Using Lemon Juice]
- Anti-ageing Effect – The anti-oxidant action of vitamin C and exfoliation of the citric acid help to maintain skin moisture, softness and prevents wrinkles on the face.
How To Use Lemon Juice For Skin?
Lemon juice can be used via the following methods:
- By Direct Application – For brightening and softening skin apply the lemon juice on any area of your body. You can also remove blackheads by gently rubbing the lemon juice on the area with your blackheads. By repeating this on a nightly basis and rinsing with cool water in the morning, the blackheads will eventually vanish. Ladies with sensitive skin, please avoid!
- As Face Pack – To moisturize dry skin mix equal quantities of olive oil, honey and lemon to make face pack and apply this to dry regions on the skin. Leave this for 10 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. For anti-wrinkle pack mix honey, lemon juice drops and almond oil and apply over your face. Wash this off in 20 minutes when it dries.
- As a Toner – For oily skin; mix lemon juice, vodka, distilled water and witch hazel and then dab this on skin with cotton and rinse off with cool water.
- As an Exfoliator – On a weekly basis follow the regime; dip a cut lemon into sugar and rub on your face for few minutes. This will gently exfoliate skin.
Negative Effects Of Using Lemon Juice On Skin
Though minimal, yet there are side effects of lemon juice on skin particularly if it is used without dilution and in the sunlight.
Below Are Some Of The Other Side Effects Of Suing Lemon Juice On Skin.
- Lemon juice acne scars are common when you use lemon for pimples. This is because the acidic nature can sting your pimples and also cause it to bleed.
- Another side effect of using lemon juice for face is that it can lighten your skin tone due to its astringent properties.
- Lemon for skin care is quiet common but people with dark skin should avoid using it to treat acne as it can result in dark spots.
To curb the side effects of lemon on face, always ensure that you dilute it. Do not apply it directly on your face.
Precautions Of Using Lemon Juice On Skin
Subsequently listed are some cautions to take before using lemon on skin. These will help reduce the side effects of lemon juice.
- Prevent direct dabbing of undiluted lemon juice on your face – Always dilute the lemon juice with either plain water, rose water, Aloe Vera gel or honey to decrease its acidity.
- It is preferred to use lemon juice on the face in the evening or at night to avert from any reaction due to the sun.
- Use fresh lemon juice for maximum effect of vitamin C. The magnitude of effect of the lemon juice decreases if it is left in contact with the atmosphere.