Dark underarms can be a reason for unease, which means you would think twice before sporting a sleeveless outfit. Your armpits are dark and discoloured from the rest of your body, even when there isn’t any hair under them. The armpit skin is very sensitive and can be easily worsened by the continuous use of deodorants, hair removing creams, waxing or shaving. If you have dark underarms, there is nothing to worry about as you can easily get rid of them by following simple home remedies. These remedies are safe, effective, natural and affordable and that too without any side effects. There are a number of causes for this condition, and the treatment of the problem depends on the cause.
First, let’s know what causes dark armpits?
1. One major cause of dark underarms is something called Erythrasma. It is actually a bacterial or a fungal infection of the armpits caused by the bacteria Corynebacterium minutissimum and is more commonly found in people who are overweight or have diabetes.
2. Constant use of deodorants and antiperspirants with strong fragrances and high alcohol content ingredients could be the reason for the discoloration of armpits.
3. Wearing tight fitting clothes (made of synthetic material) causes rubbing of soft underarm skin, hence further leading to darken the underarms to a great extent.
4. People suffering from medical condition known as acanthosis nigricans could be responsible for dark underarms. This condition leads to dark marks forming on the body. The most notable sign of acanthosis nigricans is dark patches of skin with a thick, velvety texture.
5. Hair removing creams contain harsh chemicals that can cause adverse reaction to your skin. When used over a long period of time, they lead to rashes, itching, irritation and serious skin disorders. The hair removing creams and lotions can cause damage to your skin, hence it is always best to wax your underarms hair.
6. Underarms generally look dark due to thick hair under the skin, caused by shaving. This occurs as shaving simply cuts off the hair at the surface of the skin, resulting in the hair to grow back thicker and darker. This dark hair is often visible under light skin which is what makes the skin look darker.
Here are top 8 ways to get rid of dark underarms
It’s always best to have beauty cure by home remedies for its side effects free and could be easily done at home. Here are some remedies that will help you get rid of dark underarms naturally.
1. Baking Soda
You can make natural homemade skin scrub by mixing baking soda with some water, making a thick paste out of it. Now, you can use this scrub for your underarms. The regular use of it will remove the dead skin cells of the underarms and help lighten the skin of your dark underarms.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is rich in Vitamin E, which helps in getting rid of dark underarms. Apply some coconut oil on your underarms and massage the area for ten to fifteen minutes. After massaging, rinse the area properly with the help of mild soap and lukewarm water. You can choose to do this before you take shower. If you practice this daily, you can tremendously reduce the darkening area of your underarms.
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent, which makes it the best remedy for skin lightening. Applying a mixture of lemon juice and glycerine on the dark armpits can help you lighten the underarms. To lighten the dark area, you can also rub the slices of lemon on the armpits.
Potato has a mild acidic property. Hence, it can be used for a mild bleaching of the skin that makes it perfect for use to lighten the dark underarms. Simply apply some potato juice on your underarms regularly to see the skin lightening effect. There are two ways you can do this. First is to rub your underarm skin with a thin slice of potato and other is to apply a grated potato juice on the dark area of underarms and let it for ten minutes. Now, wash the applied area with lukewarm water.
You can use saffron too as a natural home remedy to get rid of dark underarms. First, you need to soak the few saffron strands in milk overnight and then apply on dark armpits and allow it for 5-10 minutes. Now, rinse the area with cold water. Besides lightening the dark skin area, the remedy also known for killing odour causing germs and bacteria.
6. Gram Flour
Mix a handful of gram flour, yogurt, lemon and a little turmeric powder in a bowl to form a thick paste. Now, apply it on to your underarms and leave it for 30 mins before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. With daily application of the same, your dark underarms skin will start lightening, slowly and gradually.
Cucumber is known for its cooling properties and also helps lighten the skin tone. You can either rub a slice of cucumber on your underarms or apply a puree of cucumber on it for the best results.
8. Lightening Scrubs
Whitening Scrubs is useful in case of dead cell accumulation under your underarms, which gives it a dark patchy outlook. To make this whitening scrub, you need to mix 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1tbsp organic honey and 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and then apply it gently on your armpits in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes. After allowing to leave it for 10 minutes, wash the area with warm water. You can use this scrub on your underarms at least two or three times a week.
Hope you find these home remedies hopeful! Once you try any of these dark underarms cure, do let us how effective it is for you.