Two things bother women the most in their fertile stage – menstrual periods and vaginal odour. While the former happen each month starting from the age of puberty, vaginal odour happens once or twice in life span, but can increase depending on the maintenance of hygiene.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis]
There are a number of reasons that are to be blamed for vaginal odour. It could be because of bacterial growth in the private parts, yeast infections, poor hygiene, hormonal changes, and at times even sexually transmitted diseases.
If infection is the root cause of vaginal odour, then there are umpteen symptoms for it such as constant itching, redness, burning sensation and irritation in the vaginal area. The odour in vagina is a factor that can get to be pesky and embarrassing.
Nature understands the plight of women. And so it brings us a couple of safe and effective remedies to combat vaginal smell. Here are some ways to get rid of vaginal odor.Try them out and see the difference.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Known for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar is good to give vaginal odour a solid blow.
- Put 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm bath water. Soak yourself in it for 20 minutes and keep repeating this remedy many times a week in order to get quick results.
- You may also drink a glass of water with 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar daily.
2. Baking Soda
When it comes to balancing the pH level in your body, baking soda is a good kitchen ingredient. It is only when the pH levels are in balance that vaginal odour will vanish off.
[Also Read: How to Make Your Own Vaginal Wash at Home]
- Put ½ cup baking soda to your bath water.
- Keep yourself soaked in it for 15-20 minutes. Then follow it up by drying yourself with a neat and clean towel.
Curd has lactobacillus bacteria in it that fights candida infection (a common cause behind vaginal odour).
- Take 2 cups of unsweetened yogurt daily in order to get rid of vaginal odour.
- The other option is a tampon. All you need to do is soak a tampon in yogurt, insert it in your vagina and after a few hours, rinse it thoroughly once you have removed the tampon.
If there is ever a natural antibiotic meant for dealing with vaginal infections and odour it is garlic. Thanks to the antifungal properties present in it, garlic fights yeast infections and shoos away bad stinking bacteria.
- The very thought might repel you but eating garlic in raw form helps. Keep aside your dislike and eat 1 or 2 raw garlic cloves with a glass of warm water on an empty stomach. The other option is to add garlic cloves or its paste to your dishes as well as salads.
- There is another alternative. Put a piece of garlic in the vagina for about an hour or two either daily or few times a week until you start to get results.
5. Tea tree Oil
Blessed with antifungal properties, tea tree oil helps you ward off vaginal smell owing to the bacteria that further compound the problem.
- Just put 3 drops of tea tree oil into a cup of water. Rinse the affected area daily or several times a week, as per the need.
- You can also dip a tampon in olive oil and follow it up by putting little tea tree oil on it. Insert the tampon into your vagina and leave it in for an hour. Keep repeating this technique in a week as many times as you can.
Fenugreek is beneficial for women facing vaginal odour.
- Soak 1-2 tsp fenugreek seeds in a cup of water before going off to sleep in the night. Strain the seeds next morning, and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- You can also make use of fenugreek seeds in the form of herbal tea. To do that, boil 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Strain it and drink it twice a day.
[Also Read: Home Remedies to Naturally Cure Vaginal Discharge]
Miscellaneous Tips to overcome vaginal odour
- Have multiple glasses of water throughout the day. This will help flush out the harmful bacteria from vagina.
- Stay away from caffeine, refined carbohydrates, and sugary drinks. Sugar by the way fuels yeast production.
- From time to time, keep checking out for possible signs of vaginal infection.
- Maintain personal hygiene throughout the day and night.
- Wear 100% cotton panties instead of synthetic ones. Cotton allows air circulation and keeps the intimate parts ventilated.
- Keep changing pads, tampons, and panty-liners often.
- Stay away from using perfumed products in the panty line as they can contribute to unbalanced vaginal pH.
- If the vaginal smelling happens after intercourse then wash the vagina with mild soap and water after sex.
[Also Read: Home Remedies For Vaginal Itching]
As a woman, respect your body and the changes that happen, and learn to embrace your natural odor.