Among the various parts of the body, knees and elbows are perhaps the ones that bear the most brunt of our neglect. Besides being secondary and actually unimportant, what makes us ignore dark knees and elbows, is the fact that we don’t actually see them.
Keeping knees and elbows clean is actually very important, because it shows that we take the trouble to look after our bodies. Looking after them regularly also ensures that there is reduced build-up of dead skin and dirt and prevents the area from turning black.
What are Dark Knees and Elbows? How Does this Happen?
Friction between skin and external materials can lead to a build-up of thick and dead skin in elbows and knees, and this in turn causes the skin to turn black. Simple manoeuvres that we do every day, kneeling down to pray, or leaning elbows on the table during lunch can cause friction and most often, we don’t realize it.
While there is no physical harm caused from having them, it can prove very embarrassing for women to wear short skirts and sleeveless dresses while flaunting dark elbows and knees.
Excess exposure to the sun, and lack of proper exfoliation can also cause darkness and make the area look ugly.
How to Treat Dark Elbows and Dark Knees?
While there is no one single treatment to take care of dark knees and elbows, below are some of the most effective ways to lighten dark knees and elbows:
1. Baking Soda – Baking Soda is a very good exfoliator and is effective in cleaning the skin and reducing darkening. Milk helps in cleaning and bleaching the skin very effectively. If you are using baking soda, take one tablespoon of it and mix it with milk, apply the paste on hands and knees and scrub in circular motions. Finally wash this off with water. Do this regularly every alternate day and you will see how the colour improves.
2. Turmeric, Honey and Milk – Turmeric is an antiseptic, and milk works like a bleaching agent. Honey moisturizes the skin and when used with the other two, helps get rid of black knees and elbows. To use this, mix all the three ingredients into a smooth paste, apply on dark areas and leave for at least 20 minutes, rub it in for another 2 minutes and wash thereafter thoroughly.
3. Sugar and Olive Oil- Sugar is an excellent exfoliator and olive oil is a wonderful moisturizer. Together, these need to be rubbed into the skin and then washed using mild soap and water to get rid of the darkness and dry skin.
4. Gram Flour – A kitchen staple, works as a great exfoliator. Mix it with lemon juice, a natural bleaching agent, and this mixture can do wonders for your skin.
5. Olive Oil – One of the simplest natural bleaching agent, softens rough skin of the elbows and knees, giving them smoothness and glow. Just rub it into the knees every day for ten minutes and you will see a change for sure.
6. Aloe Vera gel – Relatively inexpensive and fresh, aloe vera helps reduce sun damage to the skin, moisturizes it and prevents dryness of the skin. Just rub the juice on the area, and watch while your skin glows.
7. Sunscreen lotions – These are a boon in reducing dark skin around the elbows. Apply them and reduce a major chance of the skin of these areas blackening up.
Dark Knees and Elbows are sported by a majority of the world’s populace, and taking care of them is relatively easy. One must dedicate time and effort to keep them clean and clear at all times.