A cup of tea so divine. This is why we would like to talk about Butterfly pea tea benefits.
Talking about blue butterfly tea, it comes from the famous Clitoria ternatea plant. The tea itself is a combination. It has dried lemongrass in it and blue pea flowers. And this is probably a very big reason as to why blue butterfly tea is gaining momentum as a health and a beauty drink too. It is said, a cup of blue butterfly tea is strong enough to mesmerize the body, the mind, and the soul, and hence, people are stocking up on this particular tea.
When warm water is added to the butterfly pea flower tea, the water changes into a deep blue liquid for a couple of seconds. Later on, the pH level of the ingredients added next would change the color of the brew as it is being made. And if you squeeze a dash of lemon into it, or maybe a couple of tablespoons of orange juice, the color changes from indigo blue to light or dark purple- varies with the strength of the pH levels of the citric being added to it. So if you fancy a whismy drink now and then, and a healthy one that too, one should try the butterfly pea flower tea.
One can have it hot or cold and can add various other ingredients to it, to suit their taste too. Most popular additions to butterfly pea flower tea are passion fruit, mint and ginger, honey and cinnamon, cardamom and cloves too.
Now that you have an overview of what the tea is all about, where it originates from and why people love it, let’s talk about the health benefits of the tea as well.
Health Benefits Of Butterfly Pea Tea
Plenty of antioxidants
Just like any other tea, or green tea to be precise, a cup of butterfly pea flower tea, gives the body plenty of antioxidants that are potent for the immune system, the skin and the integumentary system of the body.
Studies and research too have spoken high about this tea. And it is said that the tea has such potent antioxidants that it helps fight premature signs of aging, glycation and the onslaught of damages caused by excess sugar in the body that affects the protein development within.
Studies from the “International Research Journal Of Pharmacy” says, the tea is strong enough to fight with all its abilities against internal inflammation. From insect bites to skin disorders and diseases that cause infection and inflammation, the potency of this tea can help fight the internal and external issues like a pro. The tea can bring down inflammation and general pain, and also help with other issues, such as-
- Common eye issues- conjunctivitis for example,
- Also helps fight against cancers
- It can also improve neuro health and brain health too,
- Provides enough support to the immune system, and
- Helps with an increase in vigor and vitality for the consumer as well.
When consumed with hot or cold water, the taste is usually described as “earthy,” and similar to the flavor of the unsweetened green tea.
In Bali, they use it for eye ailments
When you go to Bali, the butterfly pea drink you would notice is deep indigo in color and one of the most loved brews to have. It is called BUNGA TELANG in Bali, which means “clear vision”. This is why, local holistic doctors across Bali, use plenty of butterfly pea drink, to help their patients overcome eye ailments, pink eye, and conjunctivitis issues especially.
If you want good hair, do this!
You can either consume a cup of freshly brewed butterfly pea tea every day, or you can wash your hair as a final rinse with the same.
Prevent skin bruising
Yes, if you know that your skin gets damaged with the slightest elements around, bruises can be avoided when you wipe the unsweetened tea on your skin before you go out. This would protect the skin also from radiation and the harmful UV rays of the skin; skin stays healthy and glowy for long.
Helps with urinary issues
The antioxidants found in a cup of butterfly pea flower tea can help ward off the symptoms and signs of urinary problems and issues. You can also gently wash the genital area with the unsweetened version of the tea since it is antimicrobial and can help kill pathogens too.
Treats and detoxes the body
The body and its internal organs need to be cleansed, and this is why it is important to have a cup of butterfly pea flower tea every day. It cleanses the liver and the kidneys and also cleans the intestines and the stomach too. The pancreas also is kept in good stead.
It has cyclotides in it
With a cup of butterfly pea drink consumed, you are assured that the body would gain plenty of cyclotides from the drink. Cyclotides are peptides that help fight the onslaught of free radicals. If free radicals are left unchecked, they could bring tumors and cancer cells into the body and penetrate the cell membranes, or destroy them too.
Fights lung cancer
In China, people have butterfly pea drink, because they feel and are assured that it is a great potent drink to fight cancers of the lungs cell lines. In other researches and studies, it has been noted that the powder of the butterfly pea drink can be made by grinding its leaves. This too can be brewed into a drink and consumed to fight cancers of the lungs too.
Helps with memory and brain power
For senior citizens, a cup of butterfly pea drink is a must-have. It is said that the tea can help enhance the performance of the brain and memory at large.
We would not want to stop at these pointers when it comes to the benefits for health and overall well-being on what you can gain from a cup of the butterfly pea drink, so here are more!
More about the health benefits of Blue Butterfly Pea tea
- Beauticians and fashionistas, swear by a cup of thai butterfly pea flower tea since it helps form natural beauty products that benefit, hair and skin and nails, thanks to the powers of flavonoids in it.
- Quercetin is a flavonoid in the tea which has positive effects on hair and skin and can also be a reason why the skin and hair maintain its hydration levels too.
- There is a high concentration of deep blue pigments in thai butterfly pea flower tea, which can be very potent for the body to fight the onslaught of free radicals.
- For diabetic people, a cup of blue butterfly tea to consume is a must. This is especially for those that have type 2 diabetes.
- A cup of blue butterfly tea also helps with an improvement in blood circulation. This means, your hair loss issues, greying of hair, dullness of skin, loss of supple skin texture and elasticity of skin too would be improved upon. In addition to that, the potency of this tea helps with blood cleansing too, and revitalisation of the body as well.
- Across south-east Asia, a cup of blue butterfly tea is prescribed to patients that suffer from diseases of the mind- anxiety, bipolarism, autism etc, on minor scales. This is because it helps calm the nerves and brings stability to the body and the mind as well.
- For people with high blood pressure levels, holistic experts suggest a cup of this tea to bring down the pressure levels of the blood to normalcy too.
- Most holistic experts would suggest mixing ginger and honey with a cup of butterfly pea flower tea to help anyone suffering from asthma issues.
Grow the shrub at home
Instead of running to the pharmacy or the drugstore now and then, you can have the tea and be rest assured it would work its magic. Grow the shrub at home and you do not need a special season for the same. As long as the climes are warmer all through the year, it would grow fast. By growing the plant at home, one can harvest the flowers and dry them to store for future use too.
Uses of butterfly pea flower tea
The healing powers of butterfly pea tea can be many, but if you would like to convert the flowers as an embellishment for salads, go right ahead and do that.
To make the tea
- Start by steeping a handful of the butterfly tea pea flowers in a pot of warm water for ten minutes.
- The flowers should turn pale at the end of ten minutes and the water would be bright blue.
- Strain the water and do away with the flowers
- Add ginger and honey to taste
- Have it warm or cold!
To enhance the flavour more, we added lemon and ginger to it, which gives it a very woody and scintillating appeal. Your palate would be pleased, and you would notice how the color too changes of the tea, which is because of the pH balance change from lime, ginger, and honey.
Here is a video on how to make the tea
Here is another way to make a cup of butterfly pea flower tea
- Grab hold of a bunch of butterfly pea tea leaves, which should be organically dried.
- Add them to a cup of boiling water
- Allow them to steep for ten minutes
- A pinch of cinnamon should be added
- Allow to steep for a minute more
- Strain and serve hot
If you would like a stronger brew, adding the dried flowers to the cup of already made butterfly pea drink would be beneficial. Let the steeping then happen for fifteen minutes at least, and then serve it.
Having this butterfly pea drink first thing in the morning and on an empty stomach will help detox the digestive system and ensure smoother bowel movements too. It also helps manage the bacterial flora in the gut and the intestine, and the acids too.
If you wish to have it cold, allow the tea to come to room temperature and then add a couple of ice cubes to it. Or simply pour the tea into a cube tray and free them into tea cubes. Serve them with a garnishing of lemon rind and rosemary twigs or basil leaves to enhance the mood and effect. This will help revitalise the body and the mind after a long hard day at work.
Just as the Thai and the Balinese homemakers prepare the butterfly pea drink, you can do the same and enjoy the wonderful brew and colors of the drink too. From a cobalt blue, it changes color to various shades, depending on what you add to it. A lot of the butterfly pea drink is served at rave parties across the world, because of the psychedelic effects it emanates through the colorful whirls it portrays. There is nothing to be worried about if you are in Thailand and at such parties, and someone offers you butterfly pea drink.
We sincerely hope you loved this post on how to make your own butterfly pea drink in many ways, the health benefits of the drink too and why you should consider having the butterfly pea drink at least once in your life
Sip sip sip and have a good cup of butterfly pea drink to stay healthy and supple from today.