Native to the Mediterranean region, oregano essential oil is being used for over two thousand years now. It was first discovered in France, and the amazing benefits it has for our skin and wounds gained it a lot of popularity. High in phenols, the main components of the oil are Carvacrol, Thymol, Rosmarinic acid, Terpenes, Linalool, Naringin, and Beta-caryophyllin. The medicinal oil has natural antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antioxidant, digestive, anti-allergenic, anti-parasitic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
There are myriad ways you can use oregano oil to bring health and wellbeing to your life and here are some of them.
Oregano for treating colds
If you are suffering from cold or see symptoms of a flu, the oil of oregano could be used as an instant remedy.
- You could use it as a steam inhalation by adding some drops of oregano oil to a tub of boiling water. Lower your head towards the tub and breathe in the vapors for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- This will loosen and drain mucus and help fight infections. This home remedy has proved to work excellently for those suffering from sinus or pneumonia.
- Alternatively, add few drops of the oil in the diffuser and breathe the medicinal vapors directly.
- Even a deep sniff of oregano oil from a bottle directly is a great pick-me-up that comes to the rescue during flight travels.
- Another way of fixing cold through oregano is to add a few drops to a cup of lukewarm water and use it to gargle. The antibacterial properties in it will help ward off bacteria and soothe an aching throat.
- Adding few drops of oregano oil to an edible oil like coconut or olive oil and take it under your tongue. Swish this blend for a minute, and let it absorb into the blood system, then spit out the remaining. Continue this exercise for 3 days at and you will be fine.
Oregano for cough and bronchitis
The wild oregano oil has proved to be effective in relieving one from croup, and hacking cough which is primarily caused by viral infections in trachea and larynx.
- To work with Oregano oil for treating cough, start with taking steam inhalation.
- Start by pouring 4-5 drops of oregano oil to a vessel of steaming water, and lowering your head toward it take in the vapor for about 10 minutes.
- This remedy is highly beneficial for treating whooping cough and bronchitis.
- 5 to 8 drops of oregano oil can be added to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and this blend can be used to rub on the chest like a soothing balm to treat infections and coughs jamming the respiratory tract.
- You can also rub this balm on the soles of the feet for added benefit.
Oregano oil for ear infections
Ear infections can turn out to be excruciating due to fluid build-up and often become blocked. Oregano oil, being a natural anti-inflammatory with anesthetic properties helps relieve this severe pain caused by an infection and is considered the most effective essential oils used for ear infections.
- It needs to be applied topically. Mix 2-3 drops of oregano oil and 2-3 drops of jojoba or coconut oil or any other carrier oil well.
- Rub and massage this concoction on the outer area of the ear but make sure the oil doesn’t make its way inside the ear canal.
- The oil will permeate into the skin, get absorbed into tissues and help assuage the throbbing and pain in the ear.
Oregano essential oil for stomach
There can be countless causes of a troubled stomach, bacterial infection, indigestion, bloating, excess acid – anything. Oregano oil has worked like magic to treat the strains of bacteria like E.coli and Salmonella. These are the main microbes that lead to food poisoning.
- To start the treatment, mix about two drops of therapeutic-grade oregano essential oil to a cup of warm tea.
- We suggest you take lemon or peppermint tea for better results.
- Now sip on it to support digestion after a sumptuous, big, heavy meal.
Oregano essential oil for allergies
Being a natural anti-inflammatory and a mild sedative, oregano oil checks the way your body reacts to pollen, mold and other allergens and airborne irritants that often causes inflammation in the airways. As mentioned, Oregano oil has rich amounts of carvacrol which being a rosmarinic acid and a natural antihistamine reduces swelling and soothes down reactions. Both The active components in oregano essential oil also works on allergy symptoms such as sneezing, congestion, and itching.
- All you have to do is pour a few drops of the oil to a pot of boiling water lowering your head, as mentioned in the above tips, take in the strong vapors for no less than 10 minutes.
- The hot steam helps to loosen mucus, open up the airways, and the anti-inflammatory properties of the oil help to soothe and relieve allergy symptoms.
- Again, you can breathe the medicinal goodness of oregano oil by adding few drops of it in your diffuser and allow it to waft through the air.
Oregano essential oil for skin
Those who are battling skin conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis, candidisis, and rosacea can find some relief by the application of oregano oil topical. The oil brings great benefits to patients with psoriasis in particular. It is an inflammatory skin condition and oregano oil with its natural anti-inflammatory properties work on the condition like magic.
- Add about 10 to 15 drops of oregano oil to 3 tablespoons of any carrier oil be it jojoba, coconut, or olive oil and give it a good mix.
- Now apply to the affected areas using a cotton ball.
- We specify the use of oregano oil with a carrier oil as it is considered to have ‘hot’ properties that may irritate the skin if used directly.
Oregano essential oil for acne
The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of this essential oil can work wonders on acne. The carvacrol in Oregano oil helps to kill the acne-causing bacteria and dries out acne lesions. It then reduces swelling and inflammation also.
- It is specifically beneficial to get rid of cystic acne – a severe category of acne that occurs in the teenage years, clogging the pores that in turn leads to the formation of large pimples, infections and chronic inflammation.
- Adding 3-4 drops of the oil to 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water, and then dabbing this solution on the affected area with cotton balls will exterminate the bacteria that causes the acne.
Oregano oil for candida
Candida is a kind of fungus living inside the human body. When the conditions are right for it, it can multiply uncontrollably and unleash havoc in the body.
- To treat an internal yeast infection, add some oregano oil to any of the edible carrier oils mentioned above take it sublingually and swish it under the tongue for about a minute or so it gets absorbed into your blood.
- After that, you can spit it out.
- Repeat this process at least thrice a day.
- For treating topical yeast infections mix 4-5 drops of oregano oil with a carrier oil and apply it to the affected area twice or thrice times daily.
Oregano oil for toenail fungus and fungal infections
Nail fungus is an almost a recurrent problem that keeps people suffering for years at stretch. Though many of you might have used creams and chemical-infused medications, we are pretty sure, nothing worked great. Here, Oregano oil can prove to be the ultimate miracle you’ve been seeking.
- To treat a common disease, Athlete’s Foot, that mostly effects sportsmen, make a solution with 1 teaspoon of oregano oil and 1-liter warm water and soak your affected foot in this liquid for 20 minutes twice daily.
- For better results, you can add half a cup of Epsom salts as it helps relax the muscles.
- To cure nail infections, combine few drops of oregano oil with the equal amount of a carrier oil.
- Though we have mentioned Jojoba and coconut oil as great options, for this particular ailment, we recommend Neem oil, with its rich anti-fungal nature, as a carrier to combine with oregano essential oil.
- Mix the oils well, then soak a cotton ball or swab in it and dab it on the infected nail, or area between the toes.
- Repeat the process daily till the infection subsides completely.
Oregano oil for aging
Oregano oil contains generous amounts of antioxidants which guards the body against free radicals and other harmful agents that speed up the aging process in human body. Presence of phenols neutralizes free radicals that cause certain cancers, wrinkles, aging, disorders in the nervous system, and muscle degeneration.
- Make a lotion of oregano oil by mixing 20 drops of it with 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 4 tablespoons of moringa oil.
- Blend them well and apply all over the face.
- If you include this lotion in your daily beauty routine you will see your wrinkles fading out and your skin becoming supple again.
Oregano oil for parasites
Being the natural anti-parasitic that it is, oregano oil excellently exterminates parasites and parasitic infections.
- To make sure the food you eat is free from bacterial attack, add a few drops of therapeutic-grade oregano oil.
- You can also take a drop or two of this oil with your morning tea, coffee or lemon water to ensure the health of your stomach.
- Adding 2-3 drops to an edible oil such as coconut oil or olive oil and taking it sublingually would work too. Swish this formula under your tongue for a couple of minutes and then spit it out.
- To treat skin infections, add a few drops of oregano oil to a carrier oil and apply the blend to the affected area twice daily.
Oregano oil for warts
Warts are skin growths that appear on neck, feet, and hands mostly by a virus called the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Plantar warts that occur under the feet can often become painful and can affect our ability to walk.
- All you have to do is add 5 drops of oregano essential oil to a teaspoon of a carrier oil – we prefer neem oil here.
- Apply this blend topically on the affected area with a clean cotton ball about 3-5 times every day.
- Make sure to switch to a clean cotton swab while treating multiple warts lest you spread infection.
- After application covers the wart with band-aid or tape.
- Within a couple of weeks, you will notice a shrink in the size of the wart.
Oregano oil for herpes
Being a potent anti-bacterial, carvacrol, in oregano oil fights the herpes virus. It is difficult for antibiotics to penetrate the cell membranes of bacteria. But oregano oil helps break down this cell membrane and attacks the virus right where they live. Medical Science Research published a thorough study conducted by Sidiqqui, demonstrated how oregano essential oil completely disintegrated the herpes virus.
- To treat herpes, you can apply Oregano oil mixed well with a carrier oil on the on the spine.
- This is because the virus lays dormant in the spinal column and infects the cerebrospinal fluid.
- You can also take it sublingually by blending it with a few drops of edible oil and swishing it as mentioned above.
Oregano oil for cold sores
Cold sores are small, often painful, swollen, red blisters that often occurs above lips and around the mouth area. They are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus 1 and as oregano essential oil works against such viruses, the oregano works effectively on such cold sores.
- To apply, you may again mix few drops of oregano oil with any other oil and then apply it to the affected area with clean cotton swabs.
- If the absence of clean cotton balls, you may directly use your washed and cleaned finger for application.
Oregano oil for menstrual issues
Being a natural emenagogue, it stimulates the menstrual flow benefitting women who suffer from irregular periods. Regular usage can delay the onset of menopause and relieve menopausal symptoms like hormonal and mood imbalances. But, as it induces contractions in the uterus, one must avoid using the oregano oil during pregnancy.
- To cure menstrual issues through oregano oil, add few drops of therapeutic-grade oregano oil to chamomile or ginger tea in morning and evening.
- You can also use it topically to treat menstrual cramps.
- Blend 6-7 drops of oregano oil with any massage oil, or olive or coconut oil and massage the lower abdomen to ease out the pain.
Use oregano oil for dandruff
It helps you get rid of itchy scalp and dandruff also. Dandruff is caused due to a yeast or fungal infection in the scalp and not due to dryness or oiliness in the scalp that many people believe. Oregano oil, being a natural anti-fungal, fights dandruff effectively.
- Mixing 5-6 drops of therapeutic-grade oregano essential oil to a tablespoon of shampoo and massaging it into the scalp for about 10 minutes followed by the thorough wash can free it from dandruff easily.
- Do this process once a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a massaging hair oil by mixing equal quantities of oregano oil and tea tree oil. This blend can be used twice a week and followed up with a hair wash and application of conditioner.
Oregano oil for better oral health
The oil contains thymol – an active ingredient used by manufacturers of mouthwashes, it fights bad breath, plaque, and bacteria. Thymol is also an antiseptic that works strongly against gingivitis.
- Oregano oil can be used for oral health by adding a drop to your toothbrush, with or without toothpaste, and brushing your teeth. It will serve as a natural anesthetic and reduce pain and swelling.
- You may also combine 5 drops of oregano oil with equal amount of peppermint oil in 2 cups of spring water.
- Shake it to give it a good mix and store it in a clean glass bottle. Swish about 2 teaspoons of this mouthwash for 30 seconds daily for amazing results.
Oregano oil as a natural insect repellent
Being an excellent insect repellent and antiseptic, Oregano oil provides a safer alternative to strong insect repellents that contain DEET that can cause medical emergencies if blown into eyes or the mouth.
- Also, growing oregano in your kitchen garden or backyard garden to help keep the garden and grown vegetables pests away.
- To use it as an antiseptic spray, mix 20 drops of oregano oil to 15 drops of lime essential oil and fill it in a spray bottle filled with water.
- Shake this solution well and spray it on kitchen counters. This will keep ants, cockroaches, and other small critters away.
- Insects cannot stand the pungent smell of oregano oil.
- Soaking cotton balls in few drops of oregano oil to cotton balls and planting them at the inconspicuous corners of the house including cupboards, or kitchen cabinets will keep insects away.
- 10 drops oregano essential oil, 10 drops citronella oil, 10 drops peppermint oil can be added to Natural witch hazel in a jar of boiled water.
- Pour it into a spray bottle and shake it well. This solution can be used directly on your clothing to work as a mosquito repellent.
Oregano oil for dogs, cats, and pets
Oregano oil is a natural and safe remedy to control fungal and parasitic infections in pets like dogs and cats or to treat the infection if it occurs. Oregano oil can also be used to treat arthritis in dogs effectively.
- To prevent parasite infestation or to control fleas and combine 1 full teaspoon of oregano oil with 1 g16 cups of water. After giving your pet a thorough bath, use this solution as the final rinse.
- If you fur baby has already developed ringworm or has been affected by fungus, dilute a few drops of Oregano oil with a carrier oil and apply on the affected area twice a day.
- This can also be applied on the joints of puppies suffering from arthritis or muscle pain.
Side Effects of Oregano Oil
There’s nothing such as “One Size Fits All”. Though essential oils are packed with nature’s goodness and most often benefits the users, some people have a tendency to grow allergic to these oils.
- It is thus recommended to conduct a patch test before starting regular use of Oregano oil. A patch test can be done on the elbow or leg, and never or sensitive areas like face or neck. If you do not see any allergic reaction within the first 24 hours of the patch test, you should feel safe to use it.
- However, in no condition should a pregnant woman take Oregano oil – orally or topically as it might lead to stimulation of the uterus.
- While purchasing Oregano oil, always beware of genetically modified ingredients. Always buy organic oregano oil.
In conclusion, we’d like to leave you with the final word that though there are numerous oregano oil benefits, there is no ideal formula when it comes to essential oils. What works for one might not work for the next as everyone is biochemically exclusive. It’s always better to experiment with a range of essential oils, understand your body and its needs, and find the best blends and Oregano oil to carrier oil ratio that works wonders for you.