Food is food, but is there anything raw in it? Well, I presume most of us might be thinking that raw foods are the veggies and fruits we pick from a vegetable vendor or grocery store.
Well, raw food has been around since the 1800s. It is only in the recent years that it has grown in popularity.
Consumers of The Raw Food Diet love it on two counts – it aids weight loss and betters our overall health. This blog shows you all the aspects of raw food diet, raw food diet plan, even raw food diet weight loss.
So that you can make a wise choice before going for the raw food diet.
Food for thought –
Did you know the raw food diet is often called “raw foodism” OR ”raw veganism”? Makes sense, what say?
What Makes Raw Food Diet
Well, raw food diet is nothing but completely raw and unprocessed foods.
How does one make out whether the food is RAW?
Firstly, a food is considered raw if it has never been heated over 40–48°C.
Secondly, the food should never be put to the following things – refined, pasteurized, treated with pesticides or processed in any way, in order to qualify for raw food category.
Just like veganism, raw food diet is plant-based. Meaning, it is mostly made up of fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts. However, some people can take raw eggs and dairy products. Less commonly used food items like meat and raw fish can also be included.
Taking supplements is a NO-NO when you are on raw food diet plan. Makers of this diet plan are of the belief that it is well-sufficient with all the nutrients one needs. So no need for supplement-intake.
Some are of the belief that cooking foods is harmful to health since it destroys the natural enzymes in foods, and reduces their nutrient content.
Raw Food Diet is consumed by the people who believe the benefits it has – raw food diet weight loss, increased energy, improved vitality, improved overall health and reduced negative impact on the environment.
How Healthy Is Raw Food Diet Than Cooked Food
Ask eaters and supporters of raw food and they are very much in favour of it. Because it is ideal for human health according to them.
But this idea is not backed by science.
Go by research and the finding is that both raw and cooked foods have health benefits.
Since cooking is believed to destroy the natural enzymes in foods, that is a negative driver against cooked food.
But the positive thing is that cooking helps destroy (or inactivate) some harmful compounds in food. E.g, Cooking grains and legumes reduce the lectins and phytic acid and harmful bacteria.
All in all it is a good thing to eat a variety of both raw and cooked foods.
Foods To EAT In Raw Food Diet
Any fundamental rule behind eating raw food diet??
Yes, there is.
You just have to make sure that 70% of the foods you eat is raw. No cheating!
As mentioned earlier, fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts form the crux of a raw food diet plan. Grains and legumes are permitted, but they need to be soaked or sprouted before consuming them.
Here is a Checklist of The Raw Food Diet –
- Fresh fruits (all)
- Raw vegetables (all)
- Raw nuts and seeds
- Raw grains and legumes (either sprouted or soaked)
- Dried fruits and meats
- Nut milks
- Raw nut butters
- Cold-pressed olive and coconut oils
- Fermented foods (like kimchi and sauerkraut)
- Raw eggs or dairy (if desired)
- Raw meat or fish (if desired)
Foods To AVOID In Raw Food Diet
At the back of your mind, you know it already, don’t you?
- Fruits, vegetables, meats and grains (in COOKED form)
- Baked items
- Roasted nuts and seeds
- Refined oils
- Table salt
- Refined sugars and flour
- Pasteurized juices and dairy
- Tea and Coffee
- Other processed foods and snacks
Bottomline of raw food diet plan?
You are to eat foods that have “never been cooked” and/or “never been heated or processed at a certain temperature”. It means staying away from processed and refined foods.
Benefits Of Raw Food Diet
Studies show the following benefits of the raw food diet:
- Reduces Inflammation
- Improves Digestion
- Gives you more of Dietary Fiber
- Improves Heart health
- Optimises Liver function
- Prevents Cancer
- Prevents and treats Constipation
- Good source of Energy
- Clears out skin
- Prevents nutrient deficiencies
- Lowers the carcinogens in your diet
- Helps in maintaining healthy body weight
Isn’t it worth following?
The Raw Food Diet Sample Menu
Here is an example of how eating 100% raw food vegan diet for 1-week might look like:
- Breakfast: Green smoothie
- Snack: Carrots and raw hummus
- Lunch: Raw squash noodle pasta with pesto
- Snack: Strawberries and almonds
- Dinner: Raw vegetable pizza (not your favourite pizza with toppings)
- Breakfast: Chia seed pudding with fruit
- Lunch: Apple and walnut salad
- Snack: Freshly squeezed juice and nuts
- Dinner: Raw zucchini noodle pasta along with tomato sauce and basil
- Breakfast: Oatmeal (of overnight) with chopped fruit and nuts
- Snack: Broccoli and raw hummus
- Snack: Raw sweet potato chips and fruit
- Dinner: Stuffed Portobello mushrooms
(what happened to lunch here, dunno?)
- Breakfast: Fruit bowl
- Lunch: Salad with figs and nuts
- Snack: Banana and raw nut butter
- Dinner: Raw lasagna
- Breakfast: Green smoothie
- Lunch: Sprouted quinoa Buddha bowl
- Snack: Apple and berries
- Dinner: Raw tomato soup with marinated veggies
- Breakfast: Soaked oats with berries
- Lunch: Salad with avocado and fruit
- Snack: Sliced bell pepper and sunflower seeds
- Dinner: Raw veggie sushi and chopped veggies
- Breakfast: Raw banana pancakes and fruit
- Lunch: Raw squash soup
- Snack: Orange slices and nuts
- Dinner: Kale and mushroom salad
How to Eat Raw Foods In A Balanced Way
Balance is the key. Right?
Here are some raw foods you can consume regularly:
- Leafy greens
- Citrus fruits
- Pumpkin, Sunflower, sesame seeds
- Raw vegetables like carrots, celery, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Raw yogurt
- Extra virgin coconut or olive oil
- Cultured veggies (like sauerkraut or kimchi)
- Watermelon and cantaloupe
So, how did you all find the concept of the raw food diet? Yeah, it can be tough to make a transition from the polished diet you currently eat to the one with raw foods. But no worries. I am not suggesting to go full steam on raw food diet immediately. Go step by step and then take a break.
Rem’ber, the more you rush into a new way of eating thinking it is a “quick-fix” diet, the more likely you are to gain weight you’ve lost, later.
Game in trying the raw food diet? Might sound a bit tough in the beginning but with the passage of time you will get used to it. Drop in a line or two and tell us. Don’t forget to share it in your social networks.
Source: healthline.com, draxe.com