Won’t you be alarmed when you suddenly notice that there is a limp behind your ear?
It may or may not pain, but it is definitely visible and it may be a sign of something that you are not even aware of!
The good news is, you can read this article and get a fair idea about how and why you got it in the first place and some effective home remedies that can help you get rid of it for good.
Read on to know more:
Symptoms for Lump behind Ear
Well the most common symptom for a lump behind your ear is when you feel that there is a kind of blob that may or may not be painful. It will usually develop just behind the ear or you may even get it near the ear lobe – it differs from person to person. So how did you get this lump in the first place? Below are some of the symptoms that might have developed it:
- Chills: When you are especially cold or chilly, your body might respond with the lump
- Pain: Body pains and joint pains might also lead to a lump behind your ears
- Fatigue: Excessive tiredness or anxiety can lead to lumps
- Fever: If you have fever or cough and cold accompanied by headaches, make sure you check behind your ear
- Loss of appetite: A loss of appetite might also indicate a lump. So when you do not feel like eating food, make sure you check behind your ears
- Night sweats: If you are having excessive night sweats, it might be an indication of lump behind your ear
- Weight loss: Severe weight loss might also be accompanied by a lump behind your years
- Discomfort or pain: if you are having constant discomfort in and around your face, make sure you check whether you have something behind your ear. Chances are you may end up getting a lump behind your ear
- Small soft lumps: Small soft lumps in and around your ear are an indication of a bigger lump
- Pimple-like bump: A small pimple-like bump might also end up becoming a huger lump, so you should always keep a watch out.
Causes of Lump behind Ear
Like the symptoms mentioned above, there might also be a number of causes why you get a lump behind your ear.
Here are some of the common causes of that unsightly lump:
- Acne: Though not too common, sometimes you might get pimples due to the clogged pores and this might assume the form of a lump behind your ear. It may or may not be painful, but try not to pop it and let it cure on its own
- Lymphadenopathy: Also known as a swollen lymph node, there are various such nodes in your body. The node swells up in response to an infection and sometimes there is anode behind your neck that may look like a lump behind your ear. There is no cause of concern for a swollen lymph node and it subsides on its own. However, if it does not go down for a long time, it is important that you get it checked by a professional
- Infection: if you have an infection or a swelling in the throat it may culminate in the form of a lump behind the ear
- Lipoma: Lipoma is also known as a fatty deposit and appears in between the layers of the skin. It usually disappears on its own and is not harmful at all
- Cysts: If you have a damaged follicle or an oil gland, then the skin will not shed the dead skin that it sheds regularly. Instead, it will keep replicating on its own and lead to a formation of a cyst
- Abscess: Quite similar to a cyst, both of them are capsules filled with fluid. However, in the case of an abscess, it is usually pus that is inside it. Pus is formed due to an infection and you may need to extract it to prevent pain
- Mastoiditis: Mastoid is a bone that is located behind the ear. Sometimes you may develop an infection and as a result, it might spread to the mastoid bone hence causing the lump behind the ear
- Tumor: A tumor is formed when the cells multiply in an uncontrollable state and form a lump. It may be benign or malignant, but it is best to have it checked by a medical professional
- Dermatitis: If you have some dermal infection, especially behind your ear, it may lead to dermatitis which in turn causes a lump behind the ear
- Cancer: A lump behind the ear may also be the cause of cancer and it is best to get it checked if you have noticed it for a long period of time
Either way, if you see that your lump is causing you some pain or is leading to dizziness, get it checked immediately. It might be the indication of some serious ailment or disease.
Here is the List of Home Remedies for Lump behind Ear
The home remedies given below are some of the most effective ones and can easily get rid of the lump. However, if you have a doubt, always get it checked by a professional to prevent any kind of complications later on.
1. Flax seeds
Flax seeds are a great way to get rid of a lump behind the ear, but you will have to use it frequently to make sure that the seeds actually work.
How to Use:
- Heat flax seeds and wrap them in a cotton cloth.
- Use this cotton cloth to give a warm compress to your lump.
- You should be able to see a change in the size of the lump within a few days’ time
Note: Use the poultice regularly twice during the day and night for seeing a change
Prunes are extremely good for your health and prevent infections in your body. They are also a great way to boost your immune system
How to Use:
- Take prune juice once a day for a week or two at least to see a reduction in the size of your lump
Note: Do not buy synthetic prune juice. Instead, try and buy the prunes and extract the juice yourself for best results
3. Psyllium Husk
This is a fiber-rich product that can help soften the swollen nodes and thus reduce the size of your lump
How to Use:
- You can get the husk powder easily from the pharmacy and you can mix it with water and have it when you start your day in the morning.
- It will help reduce your lump’s size as it will soften the tissue
Note: Isabgol is one of the most common variants of husk available.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is an excellent moisturizer and a total skin cure. Almost any skin ailment can get better with the use of aloe vera gel.
How to Use:
- Massage fresh aloe vera gel over your lump gently and press it at regular intervals.
- You should be able to feel the lump receding after using the gel continuously
Note: Aloe vera gel is very effective can be used every day to make your lump smaller
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a good emollient that can help to reduce the size of the lump and also moisturize the area to prevent the occurrences of more lumps. It speeds up the immune system and helps in the removal of toxins from the body
How to Use:
- Use cold pressed castor oil and rub on the swollen area for about 5 minutes.
- After this, use a warm compress and gently press on the area for another fifteen minutes
Note: Use this remedy at least twice weekly for best results
Papaya is an amazing fruit that helps to reduce the occurrence of a swollen lump and regular application will also prevent it from occurring again and again
How to Use:
- Papaya has a chemical called carpain that can be used to kill germs.
- So to remove the lump behind your ear, you should start with the application of papaya tree milk on swollen glands.
Note: Use fresh papaya milk to cure the swollen lump. Do not store it
Figs can be used as poultices and can give a warm compress to the swollen lump behind your ear. The properties of the figs help to reduce the size by clearing away the toxins
How to Use:
- Take a fig and break it into two halves.
- Use each half wrapped in a cotton cloth and rub this gently behind your ears where the lump is.
- Repeat this process multiple times till you see a difference in the size of your lump.
Note: The poultices should be warmed before use as the warm compress will not only make your ear lump smaller, but also reduce any pains
One of the most common and effective remedies to get rid of a swollen lump behind your ear is to have apple cider vinegar. It is a metabolism boosting liquid that will also remove any toxins from your body
How to Use:
- Have the apple cider vinegar every morning before starting your day for the best results.
- Mix it in a warm cup of water if you feel the taste is a little too pungent
Note: If you can extract your own apple cider vinegar, it would be the most effective. But even if you aren’t able to extract it, you can still go ahead and buy it from the store. It will work equally well.
Pear skins when rubbed on the swollen lymph node can help reduce the size. It will also work well on a lump behind your ear
How to Use:
- Take a few pear skins and gently rub it on the lump.
- Keep repeating the process twice every day till you notice a decrease in the size of the node
Note: Use fresh pear skins for best results in reducing the lump in your ear
Food to Eat
Your food habits can influence your fitness and your health. It is important to concentrate on having good food that is balanced and nutritious.
Here’s a list of food that you should include in your diet to make sure that you do not have a lump behind your ear:
- Sometimes you might get a lump behind your ear due to congestion caused by the sinus. Eating food that has ginger, garlic, chilies, and horseradish will act as a decongestant and also help in reducing the chances of forming lumps
- You should have at least 3-4 liters of water every day. When you are keeping yourself hydrated your kidneys are able to flush out the toxins better and hence there are lesser chances of getting lumps
- Herbal teas like rosehip, ginger, and manuka honey-based teas can work wonders for your system, boost immunity and at the same time improve your health. Make sure you have these teas every morning before you start your day for best results
- Dairy, wheat-based food, and sugars can induce more mucus and hence can cause an increase in the chances of getting a lump. Try and avoid foods that may lead to allergies and find out whether you are lactose intolerant or you have wheat allergies. You will need to shift to other types of food that will prevent your allergies from flaring up and hence causing a lump behind your ear.
When to See a Doctor?
If your lump is not receding for more than a week and you can feel a strange kind of pain, it is an indication that there might be an underlying ailment or disease and you should immediately get it checked. Also if you are experiencing some kind of dizziness or sharp pain, you should immediately get it checked. It’s best to know what’s wrong beforehand rather than taking it to a much more dangerous stage.
Final words about lump behind ear:
The lump behind your ear may not be a cause of concern and sometimes you might get it due to a fever or a rash or it may even be a pimple. However, it is important to be aware and know when to see a doctor. If left untreated, the lump might become a bigger problem!