Do you tend to use the washroom multiple times a day? Do you feel pain and burning sensation while passing urine?
Chances are it could be a ‘stony’ affair. The very mention of kidney stones is very painful. But the idea behind this blog is to inform and educate you a bit about the causes and remedies of Kidney Stones.
Let us shed our fears on it as we read on:
What are Kidney Stones?
It is a common health problem. Did you know that 1 in 10 people will have a kidney stone in their lifetime? The rate at which kidney stones are developing in our country and overseas is alarming. It is important to know what causes it so that all misconceptions get cleared.
Ten causes of kidney stones you need to know –
- Calcium build-up in the form of calcium oxalate. Oxalate is a natural substance found in food items such as some fruits and veggies, and nuts and chocolates.
- Ammonia build-up: A significant cause for kidney stones.
- Uric Acid build-up: Uric acid is a waste product produced when the body breaks down food to convert it into energy
- Cystine build-up: Formed in people down with a hereditary disorder which causes the kidneys to excrete excess of certain amino acids (cystinuria).
- Miscellaneous Medical conditions e.g. hyperthyroidism, urinary tract infections etc. can be the cause of unusually high level of substances such as kidney stones in your urine.
- Family history: If one of your family members has a history of kidney stones. Then you are likely to develop them too.
- Obesity: Weight gain, large waist size and high body mass index (BMI) also chip in the development of kidney stones.
- Dehydration: If you are depriving your body of water by not drinking enough of it, then kidney stones could develop over a period of time.
- Certain types of diets: When you are eating high protein or high sodium (meaning excess of salt) or high sugar diet, then you stand a high risk of getting kidney stones.
- Diseases related to Digestion: A surgery such as gastric bypass, or inflammatory bypass, or chronic diarrhea, can bring about changes in the digestive process. This can affect your body’s absorption of calcium and water. Thus, upping the ‘risk factor’ of kidney stones.
A kidney stone cannot cause symptoms till the time it moves around within your kidney or passes into the ureter – the connecting tube between the kidney and the urinary bladder.
- Severe pain in your side and back, below the ribs to be precise
- Pain that spreads to the lower abdomen area and groin
- Pain while passing urine
- Pain that comes in wavy pattern and keeps changing in intensity
- Passing of urine which is cloudy or foul-smelling and with different colour (other than the pale yellow that we pass)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Continuous need to urinate
- Urinating more often
- Urinating less than usual
- Fever and chills (in case, there is infection)
Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
Thank God for this!
1. Kidney Beans
What all you need: Kidney Beans, hot water
- Put the kidney beans in hot water after removing the beans from inside the pods
- Simmer the water on low flame for hours (so that they become soft and tender)
- Now strain the liquid
- Let it cool down
- Drink this liquid not once, but many times a day
- This will bring you relief from pain caused by kidney stones
- Do not keep this liquid for more than 24 hours, as it is bound to lose its therapeutic properties
How it works: Kidney beans (or rajma) are high in fiber. This makes it effective in treating kidney and urinary bladder problem, and kidney stones as well.
Tip: There is another way in which you can consume kidney beans – in soup or salad. Sounds YUM!
2. Lemon Juice, Olive Oil
What all you need: Fresh lemon juice (quarter cup), olive oil (quarter cup)
- Mix a quarter cup of fresh lemon juice and a quarter cup of olive oil
- Drink this combo mixture
- Follow it up by drinking plenty of water
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day for upto 3 days (without a break)
- If you pass the kidney stones in a single dose, then you can discontinue taking this home remedy
How it works: The “combo” effect of lemon juice and olive oil has been traditionally used to expel stones in gallbladder.
Tip: Have large kidney stones? Then consult a doctor before taking this remedy.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
What all you need: 2 tbsp organic ACV, 1 tsp honey, warm water
- Take 1 cup warm water
- Mix the two ingredients – ACV and honey in the qty. mentioned in warm water
- Drink this few times a day
How it works: ACV helps in dissolving kidney stones. Plus it has an alkalinizing effect on blood and urine.
4. Pomegranate Juice
What all you need: Juice of a pomegranate
- Squeeze the juice of 1 pomegranate and have it daily.
- One more option – grind 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds into a fine paste. Now eat this paste along with 1 cup horse gram soup at least once daily. This will help in dissolving the stones. Where to pick horse gram? It is found in the Indian markets.
How it works: Pomegranates (both the seeds and juice version of it) have astringent properties that come of use in treating kidney stones.
Tip: You can also put pomegranate in a fruit salad or eat it as a whole.
What all you need: Basil juice and honey
- Mix 1 tsp of basil juice with 1 tsp of honey
- Now make it an early morning rule of having this home-made concoction every day for 5-6 months.
- If you are not fond of honey, then take basil juice in pure form. Alternatively, you can chew two to three basil leaves on a daily basis.
How it works: Basil is considered as a tonic for the kidneys. It goes without saying that basil is good for the overall health of the kidneys. It is also capable of inducing stone expulsion from the UT (meaning Urinary Tract).
Tip: If none of the above ways on taking basil excite you, then make-and-take “basil tea”. For that you need to steep a couple of basil leaves in boiling water for 10 min. Then add 1 tsp of honey to it and drink this tea once it cools. Cool option, isn’t it?
6. Organic Celery
What all you need: Celery juice
- Blend one (or more) celery stalks with water.
- Now drink this juice throughout the day
How it works: A glass of Celery juice, when consumed daily, clears out toxins which lead to kidney stone formation. In fact, raw celery juice is a diuretic which increases the urine volume and helps in flushing out the stones.
Tip: When you drink ‘herbal tea’ using celery seeds, you can help treat kidney stones formed due to accumulation of uric acid.
What all you need: Horsetail tea
- Drink 3-4 cups of horsetail tea daily to get relief from the kidney stone ailment
How it works: Horsetail tea (in particular) is a natural diuretic which helps flush away excess water and uric acid from your kidneys. By its very nature, horsetail has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which help in maintaining overall “urinary” health.
Tip: Alternatively, you can take 2 grams of the horsetail herb in “capsule form” daily. Not recommended for children and pregnant or breast-feeding mom.
8. Nettle Leaf
What all you need: 2 tsp dried nettle leaf, and hot water (prepared)
- Put dried nettle leaf in a cup of hot water
- Allow it to steep for 10 min
- Now strain it and drink 2 to 3 cups of nettle tea daily for few weeks
How it works: Nettle tea happens to be a natural diuretic. It means it promotes smooth urination. It also helps keeps crystals from developing into stones.
9. Watermelon and Watermelon Seeds
What all you need: Watermelon (both in fruit and seed form)
- Eat watermelon regularly in summers (it helps in treating and preventing kidney stones)
- You can also enjoy and relish watermelon seed tea
How it works: While the potassium in watermelon plays an effective role in the healthy functioning of kidneys, it is also a great way to treat kidney stones. And then watermelon helps maintain the acid level in urine.
10. Dandelion Root
What all you need: Dandelion root
- Take up to 500 mg of dandelion root twice (x 2 times) a day.
How it works: Did you know, Dandelion Root is a tonic for kidneys? And How? It stimulates the bile production, which in turn helps remove waste, increase urine output, and improve digestion.
Tip: Make fresh dandelion juice or buy it as a tea. If you wanna have it fresh, then you can add orange peel, ginger, and apple to taste. Once done, drink 3-4 cups of fresh dandelion juice throughout the day.
What all you need: Wheatgrass (in juice form)
- Take wheatgrass juice 2-3 times a day
How it works: The juice of wheatgrass is packed with iron, potassium, magnesium, amino acids, chlorophyll, and B vitamins. And on the ‘renal’ level, it is highly effective in treating kidney stones and other kidney diseases.
Tip: You can also take a glass of wheatgrass juice mixed with 1 tsp each of lemon juice and basil leaves’ juice.
12. Whole Wheat Bread
What all you need: Few slices of whole wheat bread
- Take out 2 to 3 slices of whole wheat bread from your refrigerator.
- Eat them on a daily basis.
How it works: Whole wheat bread not only reduces the risk of renal stones, it is also rich in proteins, nutrients and fiber. Isn’t whole wheat bread a multiple-benefit bread?
Tip: Eat 2 to 3 slices of whole wheat bread daily so as to reduce the kidney stones.
What all you need: Few Asparagus stalks
- .Just eat lots of asparagus stalks – fresh, frozen or canned form
How it works: Do you know about the wild Asparagus? The one that has thin pencil-like shoots which is used in salads? The same asparagus is used as a ‘diuretic’. In fact, it has a compound “asparagines” which helps in breaking the kidney stones.
14. Radish Juice
What all you need: Radish leaves
- Soak few radish leaves in water and leave them overnight
- Now drink this water twice a day (morning and evening, after you have removed the radish leaves)
- Alternatively, you can take radish juice (extracted from the leaves). It is equally effective.
How it works: Radish leaves are not only helpful in treating kidney stones, they are also a very good source of vitamin B6.
15. Bran Flakes
What all you need: Whole grain foods (like breads)
- Eat whole grain breads which lower your risk of kidney stones formation. They also are rich in fiber, nutrients, protein and magnesium.
How it works: Bran flakes (e.g. popular cereal Raisin Bran) and other products containing bran can prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Did you know – BRAN is rich in fiber, and helps the body in getting rid itself of the calcium and oxalates which lead to kidney stone formation?
What all you need: Fig fruit (anjeer)
- Boil 2 figs in a cup of water.
- And you get ‘anjeer’ extract.
- Now drink this boiled fig water every morning for a period of 1 to 2 months.
How it works: Figs is a very helpful remedy (and the finest one) when we talk about renal stones.
Tip: Remember to do the ‘fig’ remedy on an empty stomach.
17. Tomato Juice
What all you need: Glass of tomato juice, some salt-n-pepper
- First of all, extract juice from ripe tomatoes
- Transfer the tomato juice in a glass
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to it
- Now drink this juice every morning in order to say goodbye to kidney stones.
How it works: Since tomatoes are acidic in nature, they can help dissolve renal stones.
Tip: Avoid ‘packaged’ tomato juice. The juice taken out from raw and fresh tomatoes is the best.
What all you need: Grapes (raw form or juice)
- Eat grapes in ‘raw’ form (they give the best results)
- Even juice extracted from grapes can be very effective (take it daily)
How it works: Grapes have been regarded as the “best home therapy” for treating kidney stones. Why so? Because grapes have high content of water and potassium salt (which has good diuretic value making it an effective remedy for treating kidney stones).
19. Baking Soda
What all you need: 1 tbsp Baking soda, 10 ounces lukewarm water
- Mix baking soda in lukewarm water
- Drink it immediately and three times in a day
How it works: Baking soda’s alkalinity lowers the acidic content of your urine (which was responsible for the stone formation). When the acidic levels come down, the kidney stones can easily pass through the urinary system.
20. Coconut Water
What all you need: Coconut water (the humble and ‘IT’ remedy)
1.Coconut water is refreshing and energizing. So drink it several times a day for a few weeks (without any gap).
How it works: When you drink coconut water, you are automatically increasing your urine output. Besides this, coconut water has potassium. And what it does is– “alkalinize” the acidic urine and dissolve and flush out the stones. So you see, ‘nariyal pani’ is therapeutic for the urinary system, apart from its other contributory roles for the human body.
21. Barley Water
What all you need: 1/4 cup barley, 3 cups water, Lemon juice (optional)
- Soak the barley in water for minimum 4 hours
- Then cook the barley in the same water (used for soaking of barley) on medium to low flame. Keep doing it until the water reduces to half its original qty.
- Strain the barley water
- Allow it to cool down
- Add 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon juice to it for added taste
- Now your medicinal drink is ready to sip
- Drink the barley water not once, but few times a day to get effective results.
How it works: Barley water is one of the most effective remedies for treating kidney stones. It increases pressure on the urinary bladder at first, which helps to flush out kidney stones and other toxins from the kidneys.
22. Banana Stem
What all you need: Chopped banana stem – 1 cup, Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tbsp, Water – 1 cup, and a pinch of salt
- Soak the banana stem in water for 1/2 an hour
- Now blend the stem with the same water it was soaked in
- Strain the juice
- Add a pinch of salt and some lemon juice to it
- Mix this concoction well
- Drink it on an empty stomach for a few days
How it works: Banana stem has potassium and vitamin B. This makes it valuable for treating kidney stones. When combined with lemon juice, it forms potassium citrate that dissolves the stones and expels calcium crystals from the body.
23. Corn Hair
What all you need: 2 tbsp fresh or dried corn silk (also called corn hair), and 2 cups water
- Put water and corn hair in a vessel
- Cover the vessel and bring It to a boil
- Once the boiling happens, turn the flame to the lowest and simmer it for 10 min
- Then turn off the heat
- Let the corn silk continue to steep for half an hour
- Strain the silk and drink it at room temp
How it works: Corn hair has diuretic compounds which help in expelling the kidney stones from the body.
Tip: Corn silk has a sweet flavor and makes a good-n-refreshing summer tea.
24. Uva Ursi
What all you need: Uva Ursi
- To be consumed in the form of 500mg three times a day
How it works: Uva-Ursi also known as “Bearberry” is a common folk remedy used in treating kidney stones. It not only discourages infection in the kidneys, it does its bit in reducing discomfort and cleanses the urinary tract.
What all you need: Magnesium tablet
- Take 300 mg of Magnesium Citrate on a daily basis.
- This will reduce the instances of kidney stones and very much minimize the signs and symptoms of kidney stones.
How it works: According to studies, patients who suffer from recurring kidney stones are less likely to suffer if they are on a diet of magnesium.
Did you know, Harvard researchers found that taking 180 mg of magnesium along with 10 mg of vitamin B6 daily will prevent kidney stones by 92.3 percent per year!
What all you need: 1tsp hydrangea leaves, and a cup of hot water
- Make hydrangea tea for relief from kidney stones
- For that, you have to add hydrangea leaves to a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for a few minutes
- Strain the hydrangea leaves
- Your herbal tea is ready-to-sip
How it works: Hydrangea ups the urine output. Thereby, pushing out the kidney stones present in the urinary system
Tip: Drink 3 cups of hydrangea tea per day to get the most benefits
27. Vegetable Proteins
What all you need: A wide range of fresh Vegetables
- No Sulking! Increase your intake of vegetables if you want to get rid of kidney stones
How it works: Veggies have an alkalinizing effect on the urine. They also have fluids which ups your daily intake of water
28. Citric Fruit Juices
What all you need: Orange juice and lemon juice
- Squeezing out the juice of citrus fruits e.g. orange and lemon
- Drink it in juice form or by making a lemonade out of it
How it works: Did you miss out on ‘Oranges’? Include it in your diet ASAP. Did you know oranges belong to the ‘citrus’ fruit, and that a daily glass of orange juice can prevent the return of kidney stones better than other citrus fruit juices such as lemonade? This finding comes from researchers at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas.
Lemon juice is also a vital component of citrus fruits. Lemons are high in natural citrate (which is a unique property they have). And lemon juice has been found to be an effective preventive therapy for individuals prone to frequent kidney stones.
There is a WARNING but – Regular intake of Grapefruit juice (which has citric acid) may increase your risk of developing kidney stones (though the reasons are unclear).
29. Stay Hydrated
What all you need: Plenty of Water a day
- Aim for drinking 12 glasses of water a day, not the usual eight.
- This will get your body maximum hydration.
How it works: Hope you know, dehydration is one of the main ‘risk factors’ for kidney stones. That is why, DRINKING WATER is the BEST NATURAL REMEDY which speeds up the process of passing of kidney stones in the urine.
Tip: Always pay attention to the colour of your urine. Light to Pale yellow is ideal, whereas dark yellow urine is a symbol of dehydration.
When to Seek for Medical Help?
First see how severe is your situation. If your pain is intolerable, then consult a doctor immediately (especially when you think medical intervention is required).
Small kidney stones can be treated by drinking plenty of water and OTC medication in the form of Ibuprofen.
Prevention and Tips
- Fluid intake (including Water) is the key. So drink fluids in such a way that it is able to produce 2 liters of urine (at least) per day. It means you need to drink enough so as to make your urine clear, not cloudy.
- Keep your salt consumption to 6 g per day, not more.
- Reduce your intake of animal protein (e.g. beef, meat, fish, pork and dairy, poultry products).
- Make the most efforts to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity and being overweight are ailments which can hamper your kidney functions.
- Have 5 portions per day of fruits and veggies.
- Drink fruit juices (with the exception of grapefruit juice).
- Take adequate fibre.
- Get adequate calcium through diet and food sources. You need to fulfill the recommended daily allowance, don’t you?
- Reduce and limit the consumption of oxalate-rich foods (e.g . spinach, coffee, Chocolate, Peanuts, Soy products etc.). That’s because some kidney stones are made of oxalate.
I hope you found this article on natural remedies for treating and preventing kidney stones informative and interesting. Write in your likes and comments.