CURL your hair up, because that’s an evergreen trend and the easiest way to get a mane makeover. One of the hottest style tricks popular among fashionistas and Hollywood and Bollywood divas alike is how to curl hair at home. Check out the article here to learn how you can curl hair at home naturally. You may be finding ‘how to make curly hair at home’ a mission impossible especially if you have silky straight hair. Don’t lose heart just yet as there are several techniques on how to curl hair naturally at home without using a curling iron or tongs. Here are the best ways to curl hair at home without damaging your luscious locks overusing the curling heating treatments and tools. So what are you waiting for get started!
The CONS Of Using Curling Irons
Yeah, we girlies love to style our hair every now and then without realising that it can damage our crowning glory. Our hair is delicate and overexposure to chemicals, colors, heat etc. can make it unhealthy. Before learning about the magical home remedies for curly hair, it’s important to know why curling tongs are a strict no-no for your precious hair. A curling iron can take a toll on your mane in the following ways:
Split Ends: The direct heat from the curling irons damages the hair irreparably as it causes more split ends than usual.
Hair Loss: It is natural that the excessive heat of the curling rods can make your hair weak and brittle. If after styling you do not follow a proper hair care routine using hair oils, serums, conditioners etc. it can even lead to a major hair loss.
Dullness: Frequent use of heat treatment for styling your hair can make it dry, dull and lifeless.
Hair Curling Techniques – The Natural Way
Check out these eight easy methods to learn how to curl hair at home. Go ahead and take your pick.
1. Old T-shirt For “New Curls”
- Wash your hair
- Dry it with a towel
- Cut a t-shirt into long strips. Remember the width of the strip is directly proportional to the size of your curls. So use thin strips if you want dramatic ringlets and use a broad strip if you want soft curls.
- Use a small section of your hair and then roll the t-shirt strip and the hair upwards till your scalp.
- Now roll inwards so that the curls turn towards the nape of your neck.
- Tie the end of the strip to hold your hair in place.
- Repeat this technique for the rest of your hair.
- When your hair dries completely, remove the strips.
2. Headband For “Retro Curls “
- Wash and dry your hair
- Wear a headband
- Now take sections of your hair and wrap them around the headband.
- Secure all the loose ends with pins.
- Once your hair dries completely, remove the headband and pins, and let your curls speak for themselves.
3. “Braiding” For Natural Waves
- To use this technique to curl your hair at home, you need to make a center parting and then tie ponytails.
- Braid the two ponytails and secure them with a rubber band
- For loose curls, make just one braid.
- For tight curls, make more braids. Leave your hair braided for the night.
- Wake up and unleash your magical curls.
4. Creating “Sock Bun” Waves
- Pick an old sock preferably a long one.
- Cut the “toe” part of the sock (about 4 cm should do)
- Roll the sock into a doughnut shape.
- Now it is time to pull back your hair and make a ponytail right at the top of your head with a hair tie.
- Spray water on your ponytail.
- Time to position your sock. For this, you need to wrap hair sections over the outer surface of the sock donut and tuck the ends underneath it. Keep rolling the hair around the donut sock to make a bun.
- Leave the bun overnight and then remove the sock and hair tie.
- Run your hands gently through your hair and check out how wavy your hair looks.
5. Creating Waves With “Side Buns”
- To curl your hair at home, wet your hair
- Then brush your hair thoroughly
- Separate your hair into two sections
- Twist each hair section tightly
- Then turn the twisted sections to make a side bun
- Sleep with the two side buns
- Next morning, open the buns
- Your hair will look resplendent with soft waves and extra bounce!
6. Making “Twist Curls”
- Before starting this procedure of how to make curly hair at home, make sure your hair is dry.
- Part your hair
- Twist each section of your hair tightly. You can use hair pins or hair ties for the same.
- Remove the ties and pins and let your hair down, literally.
- Your messy spiral curls are ready and are already making you a head turner!
7. Creating “Bobby-Pinned Curls”
- Wash and dry your hair.
- Comb it well.
- Now separate your hair into two sections. Make a huge section at the top, and a small one at the bottom using your fingers or a comb.
- Now create curls one by one and secure them with bobby pins.
- Use a hint of hairspray to make your curls last longer.
8. Velcro Rollers
- Velcro Rollers are a magical curling tool. It can save your tresses from heat damage, plus give your hair the bounce and volume you have been dreaming of adding.
- Wash your hair well
- Towel dry your hair
- If you have thick hair section it first and then you can roll it upwards. If you have fine hair, then you can skip hair sectioning
- Make sure your rollers sit firmly and snugly on your scalp for a few hours.
- Remove the rollers and finger comb your hair.
- Add the finishing touch to your mane with a hairspray and you are ready to rock!
So how did you find these tips and techniques of how to curl hair at home? Which of them will you love to try? Do share your mane makeover story with us in the comments section below.