As figure conscious gals, we cannot hold ourselves from trying out new workout equipment. The resistance bands are one such inexpensive and convenient fitness gear you need to own. It takes up no space and is perfect for those whose definition of ‘home gym’ is the space between their TV set and sofa.
There are millions of ways to use the resistance bands. Want to know more about them? Go ahead and read this post.
What Are Resistance Bands?
‘Giant’ is the word for these rubber bands which provide resistance when stretched. They are portable (carry them for your weekend trips/ getaways or hotel workouts) and can be used in most workouts. Moreover, the continuous friction these resistance bands offer throughout your workout helps in strength building.
The exercise bands come in a range of resistance levels – from more flexible ones to more rigid ones.
What are the most common types of resistance bands?
Well, they include tube bands with handles, loop bands, even therapy bands.
Choosing A Resistance Band:
Picking a resistance band is simple. Supposing you are a beginner or an intermediate, then the most suitable band is one that’s thinner and provides you with less resistance.
If you are a trained and experienced lifter, then go for a thicker band. Apart from that, it also depends on your fitness level and workout plan.
A fitness pro is the best person to help you select the exercise bands for your fitness needs.
How To Plan Resistance Band Workout:
Planning pays off, right?
Here is a general fitness program that you can follow to suit your fitness needs.
- Monday: Resistance band workout
- Tuesday: Off
- Wednesday: Resistance band workout
- Thursday: Off
- Friday: Resistance band workout
- Saturday and Sunday: Off
- Monday: Off
- Tuesday: Resistance band workout
- Wednesday: Off
- Thursday: Resistance band workout
- Friday: Resistance band workout
- Saturday: Resistance band workout
- Sunday: Off
Exercises You Can Try Using Resistance Bands:
For strength training, there is nothing better than using resistance bands. That’s because they target muscle groups and improve coordination. Here are some of the ways you can use them to sculpt your body.
1. Bicep Curls:
A bicep curl is one of the first moves you get to learn in a strength-training program. No lifting weights, just using the resistance bands is all that is required.
How to go about doing bicep curls?
- While inhaling, keep both your arms straight, and then come back to the starting position. This completes as one rep.
- Now exhale. As you do that, bend both your elbows together.
- Put both your feet on the band.
- Stand with both your feet wide apart
- In either hand, hold the handles of the resistance bands
- Inhale first.
- Focus on getting the correct alignment.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
Are you keen on toning your legs and shaping that booty? Here is how to go about it doing squats.
- Now come back to a standing position. This completes one rep.
- Put a grip on the handles of the resistance band at shoulder height. The palms should be facing forward.
- Stand on a resistance band.
- Keeping your back flat, move into a squat position. Sit down and lower your thighs
- Do three sets of 10 to 12 reps.
3. Bench Press:
This is a chest exercise that you can try using resistance bands. As the name suggests, you need a bench.
- Lie down on the bench.
- Secure the resistance band under the rear leg of the bench.
- Now pull like you would do using a barbell bench press
4. Shoulder Press:
This is a shoulder exercise you can try using resistance bands.
- Keeping your palms facing up, hold the handles of the band at shoulder height.
- Stand on the resistance band by keeping your feet together.
- Press upward as you would during a dumbbell press.
5. Standing Chest Press:
This is one of the most popular resistance bands workouts that target the same group of muscles as the pushup. It is a good starting point for building your strength.
- You need to have a lead leg and a trailing leg (both of them should be bent at the knees).
- Two options you have – either push each hand forward at the same time or do it alternately.
Most resistance bands exercises, aim to do 8 to 25 reps for 2 to 3 sets per exercise.
Disclaimer: Please try the above exercises using resistance bands under the supervision of a fitness trainer to avoid any injuries.
Benefits Of Using Resistance Bands During Workouts:
There are so many resistance exercise benefits, you will hate yourself for not including them as a part of your daily fitness regime all this while.
Resistance bands workouts can work wonders for your body in the following ways:
- Increase the muscle mass and strength by making your muscles work against a force or weight.
- Improve the bone density and reduce the risk factor of osteoporosis.
- Protect your joints from injuries.
- Improve your flexibility.
- Help you achieve your weight goals.
- Build stamina and reduce the risk of burnout.
- Improve mobility, posture, and balance.
- Help prevent chronic ailments such as arthritis, back pain, diabetes, heart disease, depression, and obesity.
- Enhance your sense of well-being by improving your body image.
Watch this 30-minute video tutorial on full body workouts using resistance bands and you will be game to try it.
Tell us how you found this post on the latest fitness trend. Have you tried using resistance bands before? Tell us how it helped you get fit in the comments box below.