Picture perfect and a classic example of timeless beauty she was. The epitome of Indian sensuality who rocked the 80s to early 90s with her chiffon sarees (Chandni) to long skirts and western outfits (Lamhe) with such ease and charm. There is never a costume made which hasn’t added to her diva appeal that she enjoyed both on and off screen. As for the jewelry, she was a jewel herself.
The Hawa Hawai lady Sridevi dubbed the ‘Meryl Streep of India’ has left us with so many memories of dressing to the nines yet exuding grace that sadly an era of fashion has ended with her. She was the symbol of beauty, excellence, charm, and elegance who earned her spot in the hall of fashion fame forever with her signature style. Why did she go so soon? Will there be no more fashion highs? And fashion moments?
Sridevi’s fashion will always be remembered as long as you keep loving and longing for Sridevi saree style.
There are few things which dress up a woman – apparels, jewelry, cosmetics. In the case of late Sridevi, it was tradition wrapped in modernity in Sridevi saree blouse designs that made her a commanding figure on the red carpet and silver screen with equal elan.
Okay, so what was her costume bank like?
Well, the beautiful Sridevi wore everything from opulent Banarsis and net saris by Sabyasachi to anarkalis and gowns by Manish Malhotra. The pictures of Sridevi in a saree in 2017 will remain a treat for the eyes.
Sridevi’s Style Game In Films:
Why do we call Sridevi the Meryl Streep of India? Because her style influence went beyond Bollywood in terms of experimentation, color, fusion, and innovation. Let us take a look at her popular looks that set the silver screen ablaze.
Her sheer blue sari from the film Mr. India in which she was romancing with Anil Kapoor. It had all the elegance and oomph. Her blue sari became iconic and so did she.
The outlandish headgear she wore in the film Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja. The headpiece she wore had almost 800 metal pieces and tons and tons of feathers.
In Chandni the blockbuster film, Sridevi was the ultimate diva with her feminine curves, graceful moves, and modern day charm. Her gossamer chiffon saris and pristine white salwar kameez made her look as beautiful as the morning dew drops and the moonlight.
As Pallavi and Pooja, Sridevi stole the show in the film Lamhe. With such fluidity, she changed her looks and mannerisms from playing coy in traditional flowing ghagras to oozing feminine charm in flouncy skirts. What a transformation it was. No wonder she won the ‘Filmfare Award for Best Actress’ for this film.
In English Vinglish, Sridevi looked resplendent in Sabyasachi-styled cotton saris. This was the last of her iconic costumes.
You can say Sridevi made a transformation from gauche-looking to the gorgeous diva in a gradual and understated way. No doubt, she was the Southern Superstar. Her make-up was on point, she wore the choicest of classic accessories and a bevy of labels which rivaled the best in the world.
In short, Sridevi bought immense star power to the films she did, in her media interactions, in her red carpet appearances, except her family bonding where she was the best wife, best #Mom, best lover and best human being.
Sridevi’s Favorite Couturiers:
Malhotra and Mukherjee (hope you can guess their first name by now) were lucky enough. Not only did they get that rare opportunity to dress Sridevi to perfection and glamour. They were privileged to do so.
She always strutted the red carpet in style. Her western outfits boasted of clean silhouettes and class – from formal pant-suits and casual jumpsuits to bodycon dresses and tailored separates. I mean can you imagine the leading lady Sridevi switching over from saris and Sridevi lehengas to pant-suits so effortlessly. If there were Sabyasachi saris and Manish Malhotra lehengas on the Indian front, there were Elie Saab evening gowns on the Western front.
Want to know more about her style picks? Hold your breath.
There was Dolce & Gabbana, Balmain and Stella McCartney, Zimmermann, Alberta Ferretti to Prabal Gurung, Paule Ka, Gauri & Nainika and Pero —you can say the fashion labels Sridevi wore ranged from stylish casual to youthful and measured.
Goes to explain why Sridevi’s name tops the country’s ‘Best Dressed’ list.
The Style Evolution Of Sridevi:
Here is compiling the lady’s best fashion moments in terms of costumes and jewelry. Sridevi’s designer dresses were always jaw-dropping:
1. In order to promote her recent film Mom, Sridevi appeared on a singing reality show as a celebrity guest. And what did she wear? A white floral print Sabyasachi saree paired with a chunky statement necklace. Her red lipstick drew attention to her brilliant smile while her hair was pulled up back in a loose bun. Doesn’t she look like Madonna?
2. At a special screening held for her film ‘Mom’ in Mumbai, Sridevi gave a new edginess to those boring coordinate suits. Yes, this is the same Chandni.
3. Airport style is the latest and the hottest thing going in the fashion and filmi circuit. Our Sree baby paired a bomber jacket and black tights so perfectly you will have to give credit to her future forward fashion sense.
4. There is no doubting that Sridevi was an ethereal beauty a rare phenomenon. She wowed us at the ‘Lux Golden Rose Awards 2017′ in a fuchsia satin ball gown and contrasting green choker and earrings.
5. The fact that Sridevi got great reviews for her dressing on Day 1 at IFFI 2017 is not enough. On Day 2 she impressed all with her epic black designer ensemble.
6. The wedding reception of Virushka (you guessed it right – Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli) held at St. Regis Hotel in Mumbai on December 26, 2017, had something equally stunning. The gorgeous looking Sridevi in all her resplendent beauty!
7. When it comes to casual wear, Sridevi steals the show yet again. Check out this pic of mother and daughter where #MOM Sridevi was spotted at the airport in her bindaas-looking casual wear.
8. Here is Miss Hawa Hawai doing a photo-op on her arrival at Kanta Motwane’s party at Olive in Mumbai wearing a summer dress with the same grace as a saree.
9. What does Sridevi look like in this gorgeous-looking off shoulder jumpsuit by Falguni and Shane Peacock which she wore for Zee TV’s silver jubilee party? Queen? No, style icon!
10. Sridevi looked like a head-turner yet again at the International Customs Day event which she attended with hubby Boney Kapoor.
11. At Lakme Fashion Week 2018, Sridevi looked a ramp-scorcher in this grey dhoti-style jumpsuit teamed with an embroidered jacket by Anamika Khanna.
12. At industrialist Mukesh Ambani’s party hosted at Antilia, his residence, in Mumbai on October 12, 2017, she looked celestial.
13. At the Bangalore Fashion Week, Sridevi looked regal when she wore a polki kundan choker with large diamonds and matching kundan earrings and matha-patti. Not to be missed is her velvet off-shoulder choli and the embroidered lehenga.
14. Radiating beauty was Sridevi as she inaugurated the Indian Panorama Section at the 48th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) at Goa. What made her look stunning was the gold saree she wore with an embroidered border. As for the jewelry, she chose a beautiful gold choker and round studs.
As you can see, each fashion frame of Sridevi tells a different story. A unique, an unmatched, and unrivaled one. Which avatar of her’s did you like the most? I know it’s impossible to choose just one but still send in your replies.