Are you one those essential oil hoarders who have absolutely no idea how to use them besides the frequent sniffing to relieve a cold or headache? Well, we have news for you. In the past, we’ve talked quite a lot about what are essential oil and its benefits? This time we have covered on the best ways to use essential oils safely into your daily routines.
Best Ways to Use Essential Oils:
Let us jump right into it and you can use it to your advantage.
The soles of foot, temple or base of neck, chest, and pulse points are some of the common places to apply essential oil. One or two drops of the oil is adequate for the skin or mix it with five drops of carrier oil like olive oil, grape seed oil, and jojoba oil.
At the same time, remember that all essential oils brands are not safe to use topically. Before applying it directly onto skin, verify the manufacturer for safety reasons.
Tip: Never use essential oils near eye area or in your ear canal.
Now here are few handy ways to apply essential oil topically:
- Essential oil like lavender, peppermint, and basil are ideal to use if you have headache, motion sickness, nausea, and stress, and insomnia. Apply the oil on Temples or back of neck for best effect.
- Bergamot oil can help in treating high blood pressure, depression, and stress. Use the oil over the chest area.
- Lemon oil, eucalyptus, and peppermint oil are ideal to use during headache, dizziness, anxiety, and fatigue. Use it behind the ears.
- Ylang-ylang, clove, wintergreen oil are great for shoulder or joint pain. Use it on the shoulders or affected area.
- Clary sage eases menstrual cramps, while ginger, peppermint, and fennel oil can be used in the treatment for digestive problems and nausea. Use these oils over abdomen for best effect.
- Myrtle and Clary sage oil are beneficial for reproductive system and ovaries. Use the oil onto heels.
- Lemongrass, basil, vetiver, and myrrh are helpful for carpal tunnel syndrome. Use the oil onto wrists for best effect.
- Lemon, basil, and lavender oil can be used during earaches and vertigo. Use it at the bottom of pinky-toe.
- Frankincense, chamomile, and peppermint oil are beneficial for eye strain and improving eye health. Use it onto the base of middle toe.
- Myrtle oil is used in the treatment of thyroid, metabolism, and pituitary gland. Use it onto the base of toe.
You may inhale essential oil directly from open bottle or rub one or two drops of oil between your palms. Inhale the oil and repeat throughout the day. Apply few drops of the oil onto a cloth and inhale it whenever you can.
Another popular method to use essential is for massaging. You can use the oil to give your body a massage for easing off tension and improving blood circulation. Also, create your own massage oil by adding 15-20 diluted drops to half a cup of carrier oil. You can begin massaging the oil onto feet for best relief.
Using essential oils while taking a shower or bath will relax your body and mind. Here are few simple steps you can try:
- Washcloth infusion: Take a desired essential oil and apply five to ten drops of the oil onto a cloth, handkerchief, or cotton ball. Take it to the shower. Keep the cloth onto one corner of the shower floor. Turn the shower up hot for building up steam. Once it is done, turn the water to your desired temperature.
- Shower wall infusion: Make use of a spray bottle for lightly spraying the shower area, including the walls and shower curtain. Turn the shower to the hottest temperature for building up steam before you start.
- Oil Application: Massage essential oil onto skin after a shower. Use one drop behind each knee and work upwards. Continue using the oil onto your throat, underarms, and feet. Inhale the oil deeply for few minutes before turning the water off.
Tip: Take your time in the shower for practicing deep breathing whilst ensuring the oil’s compounds open up your respiratory system. You may also massage your foot and arms with a washcloth in circular motions for blood circulation and boosting lymph movement.
Essential oils can be diffused quite easily at home. Most oils are quite safe to diffuse or inhale. You can create your diffuser by mixing five drops of desired essential oil into an oil burner. Or directly inhale the essential oil from the bottle for few minutes or seconds. Also, try using sedative oils before bedtime for a relaxing sleep.
- Stimulating oils include eucalyptus, basil, peppermint, rosemary, and wild orange.
- Uplifting oils include peppermint, geranium, wild orange, lemon, and Melissa.
- Relaxing oils include lemon, geranium, lavender, and ylang-ylang.
Here are few tips to follow:
- If you have sensitive skin, try mixing the essential oil with carrier oil. If irritation occurs, apply carrier oil onto the area.
- Always use citrus oil before bedtime or 12 hours before sun exposure as it may lead to increase of sun sensitivity.
- Always store the essential oil in a cool place and avoid placing them in direct sunlight.
- Be careful with spilling the oil onto clothing and furniture as it may lead to staining.
If you are a new essential oil user it is always best to consult an expert. In addition, safely practice the use of essential oils. Use them with carrier oil if skin irritation persists and always purchase oil from a reputed source.