Amla, or the Indian Gooseberry as it is popularly called, is a round green fruit with a sour and a slightly bitter taste. Due to its wonderful properties, it has been nicknamed the wonder berry.
Here’s an extensive list of all the benefits of amla for one’s skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Amla for Skin
1. Regular intake of a glass of amla juice will help control breakouts.
2. It helps the body produce more collagen, thus keeping the skin young and supple.
3. Applying amla juice for face helps in reducing skin pigmentation, giving you an even skin tone.
4. It is full of vitamin C and antioxidants that speed up the healing process. Applying amla on damaged skin will heal it really fast.
5. It can be used to exfoliate the skin by removing dead skin cells and leaving the skin refreshed.
6. It has anti aging properties that help fight wrinkles, age spots and other signs of aging.
7. It has astringent properties that cleanse and tone the skin.
8. It helps keep your skin smooth and free from blemishes.
9. Applying amla juice on your skin will help lighten your skin tone.
Benefits for Hair
10. Applying amla juice on your scalp strengthens the hair follicles, thereby preventing breakage and hair fall.
11. The antioxidants in it help prevent premature greying.
12. The essential fatty acids in it help tackle split ends and frizzy hair, making your hair healthy.
13. It enhances the natural colour of your hair, making your hair look darker.
14. Regular intake of amla juice is an effective treatment for dandruff and other scalp issues.
15. Washing your hair with diluted amla juice will make it soft and shiny.
16. Amla juice can be used to cleanse your hair and rid it of build-ups.
17. Apart from preventing premature greying, it also helps cover grey hair.
18. Amla oil is a very effective treatment to get rid of lice.
Benefits for Health
19. It helps flush out the toxins from the body, thus purifying the blood.
20. It helps increase Haemoglobin and red blood cell counts in the body.
21. Relieves constipation and aids digestion.
22. Amla juice taken daily helps cure bad breath and makes teeth stronger.
23. It is an effective treatment for mouth ulcer.
24. It can be used to treat insomnia.
25. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps soothe sore muscles and treats arthritis.
26. It strengthens the heart muscles, thereby making it more efficient at pumping blood.
27. When taken on a daily basis, it boosts the body’s immune system.
28. Drinking amla juice with a tablespoon of honey will help relieve cough and will bring out the excess mucus accumulated in the lungs.
29. Amla can also be used to keep your eye sight at its best. Washing your eyes with diluted amla juice will improve vision and keep eye related problems at bay.
30. It also fights brain related diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia.
31. It improves memory and concentration.
32. It is an effective cure for migraine.
33. Amla powder can be consumed with honey to fight acidity.
34. Amla powder can be consumed with radish to break bladder stones and flush them out through urine.
35. It has been proven effective in treating jaundice.
36. It helps contain the free radicals that could cause harm to the body.
37. When taken on a regular basis, amla has been shown to fight menstrual cramps.
38. Amla helps smokers to fight the adverse effects of smoking.
39. It is a natural cure for diabetes.
40. Amla helps to reduce the level of LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase the level of HDL (good cholesterol).
41. It aids in weight loss by improving the body’s metabolism.
42. It is a rich source of vitamin C.
43. Consuming amla during summer helps cool your body and protects you from the sun.
44. It helps strengthen bones by lowering the osteoclasts, the cells that are responsible for breaking down the bones.
45. It helps in calcium absorption, thus making our hair and nails healthy and strong.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid of Mucus in Chest and Throat]
After reading about all these amazing benefits that you can gain from amla, don’t you think its high time we changed the proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” to “An amla a day keeps the doctor away” instead?