If you’ve been cuddling grandma a lot when you were a kid, apart from the love and affection, it probably may have been an excuse for you to play with her hair and skin- so soft and supple, bouncy and nice! Wonder how she got that flawless skin and bouncy locks? Here are grandmother hair secrets and skin regimes, we bring to you!
[Also Read: World Beauty Secrets From All Over]
Grandmother Hair Secrets
1. One of the best kept grandmother hair secrets, would be not using blow dryers but allowing nature to dry our hair. Blow dryers damage the hair strands when used quite often, and that is why grandma warned us about the same.
2. Believe it or not, back in those days women would brush their hair counting 100 strokes. This helped with blood circulation and de tangling of the hair, and stimulated hair follicles to stay strong. Get a brush with moderate to soft bristles, so as to not harm the hair or the scalp.
3. Hot oil treatments done once a week would help you gain lustrous long and beautiful tresses, say grandmothers across the world. This helps bring back the pH balance to the hair and the scalp and also helps nourish the hair strands too.
4. Split ends are bugging and they lead to hair loss in no time, which is why grandma always trimmed her hair once every fifteen days. Trimming was done to keep the split ends away, which means no more hair loss.
5. Grandma soaked a cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and ground the seeds in the morning into a paste. This paste she washed off with the same water the seeds were soaked in and with a little shampoo for more cleaning.
Those were her secret hair recipes.
Lets Check On Some Age Old Face Treatments, Shall We?
1. To keep the skin fresh and supple, grandma used to mix lime water with water (1:1) and apply on the face to get rid of acne marks, pimples and scars or blemishes and dark spots too. this helped her attain a very bright complexion
2. Grandma didn’t have commercial exfoliation services for skin, back then. What she did was to rub half a lime immersed in sugar granules to get rid of dead skin cells and the summer tan from her skin. Cut half a lime and dip it into a bowl of sugar, and rub generously but gently all over the skin. Wait for ten minutes and then wash off the mask. You may also add a teaspoon of coconut paste to the mix for more help!
3. Wonder how she had glowing skin? The answer was an olive oil massage. The oil of olive is known to help hydrate and moisten the skin, and also keeps dirt, grime and pollution away. Massage the oil into the skin an hour before bath and then wash off with soap and warm water, and watch how your skin glows.
[Also Read: Ancient Beauty Secrets of Cleopatra Revealed]
4. Cocoa butter was always in the cupboard because grandma knew how important it was to use this particular butter to do facials with. Rub a tablespoon of cocoa butter onto the skin and allow it to rest for ten minutes. Once it is dry, you then should wash it off with cold water; gentle circular motions helps with exfoliation of the skin
5. Grandma slept well but sometimes due to illness would have dark circles under the eyes. Place raw potato slices under the eyes and wait for ten minutes. Once ten minutes are done, you must wash the slices and its remnants off the face.
Here were ten age old olden days face treatments and hair care secrets grandmas kept in their kitty. We brought them to you so that you don’t have to spend a bomb on treatments when visiting the parlors anymore. We hope you liked these ten secrets and would try them out too, and do write in with the secret beauty recipes and treatments your grandma used as well.
Stay gorgeous and go au naturale, because your hair and skin do not adhere much to chemical treatments and products, as much as they would with natural products. The next time though, we shall write more on old age hair loss remedies and skin treatments that modern science raves about!