Does a short stature take a toll on your confidence level? Are you the one who cannot do without heels owing to your short height? If you can relate to the above situations and if increasing your height after18 years remains your top priority then you have come to the right page.
The increase in your age does not necessarily mean that your height is increasing. There comes a point where you stop growing, hence it is better to take measures to try and increase your height when you can. Want to know more about them? Read On!
What Factors Affect Our Height Gain?
Before we get closer on how to increase your height after you are 18, it is important to know how our bodies grow naturally, and what we can do to improve our growth and height gain.
Our height is defined by genetics. It is the genes of our parents which play a pivotal role in our height gain. Although there are other factors too which contribute to us looking tall – like for instance, proper nutrition, physical activity and sleep patterns.
Then, we humans have a pituitary gland which secretes Human Growth Hormone (HGH). Now, this hormone leads to the growth of bones and muscles and body composition. This happens around the age of puberty, when you are between the age of 12 and 13, and continues for around five to six years. So this is the right and ripe time for growth (as in height gain) to happen.
First, let us read the factors that can influence height to increase after 18. They will naturally give you solutions to reach your height goals.
Top Lifestyle Tips To Increase Height After 18:
Food, yoga, and exercises are some of the factors that can help increase your height. Also, your general healthy lifestyle habits can make the height gain happen, provided they are pursued religiously, without a break.
1. Increase Your Sun Exposure:
When was the last time you basked in the glory of the Sun? Give up the comfort of comforters, and go out for a walk or a jog in the sun, every morning when the sun is not at its peak. All you need is a pair of running shoes, and an outdoor area (which could be a park or a side lane).
Sunlight boosts your vitamin D levels easily and also improves the calcium absorption by your body and bones.
2. Consume A Diet Rich In Vitamin D:
It is good for bones, and the natural source of this essential vitamin include superfoods like milk, cheese, eggs, and fish. So if you consume these foods rich in vitamin D, you are likely to gain height even if you have crossed the age of 18.
3. Maintain A Good Posture:
Not only does posture enhance your personality and confidence, it also helps in increasing your height too. The best posture is when you are sitting or standing in an upright position and keeping your shoulders relaxed. Due to fatigue if you maintain a slouched posture, it will make you look shorter and unimpressive.
4. Get Proper Sleep:
As you rest, your body will grow and produce the Human Growth Hormone (HGH) which is responsible for increasing height. So, when you sleep for at least 8 hours a day, you can enjoy the gain in height.
5. Avoid Growth Inhibitors:
Alcohol and smoking are growth inhibitors which would slow down your height gain after you have crossed 18. When you regularly consume alcohol or smoke, not only does your liver get affected, they increase the level of carbon monoxide in your bloodstream. This, in turn, stunts your growth.
Or Are you a fitness freak?
Here are some exercises that you can try to improve your height gain.
Top Exercises To Increase Height Gain After 18:
Give up your habit of sleeping more as it is time for exercises. You have to gain height, remember?
1. Increase Your Physical Activity:
Start your mornings with regular exercise. That is the best way to increase height after 18. All you need is a pair of running shoes, access to a sporting facility or a swimming club membership.
Any physical activity that you do such as running, jumping, or aerobic exercises will result in stronger and longer bones. Lazing around won’t help, not when you are young, full of enthusiasm, and energy.
As we age, it becomes important to include physical activity in our daily routines. Start young to stay healthy, happy and be tall.
2. Try To Stretch Your Body:
It is a good way to give reduce the stress on your lower back and elongate your spine. When you do regular stretches, you could be well on your way to experiencing an increase in height.
Practice the cobra stretch because this elongates the upper half of your body thereby adding inches to your height.
Steps To Do A Cobra Stretch:
- Lie on the floor by keeping your face down and palms on the floor.
- Move your spine up in an arched way allowing your chin to come at an elevated angle.
- See to it that you arch back as far as possible.
- Do 3-4 reps in each cycle, with each repetition to last between 5-30 seconds.
3. Go For Hanging Exercises:
Hang you please as I am referring to Vertical Bar Hanging Exercises. You just need a horizontal rod or ledge which is capable of holding your weight. Hanging exercises are a good way to strengthen your lower back and add some muscle, as they increase the gap between vertebrae. This helps the spinal disc to maintain more fluid leading to the lengthening and strengthening of the spine.
Steps To Perform Hanging Exercises:
- First of all, you have to find a set of good horizontal bars (and that you can get in gymnasiums).
- The horizontal bar should be ideally high enough so that it can support the complete length of your body.
- While hanging, make sure your feet are 1 foot away from the floor.
- If your body is not able to do it the right way, then bend your knees a bit. You have to allow your body to hang freely.
- Your palms need to face away from you. Hold the horizontal bars tightly, and make your body free and loose.
- This is where gravity comes and pulls your body, thereby stretching it.
As a result of it, this makes your body grow a bit. Stay 30 seconds at a stretch, and put in 3 to 4 minutes on a daily basis.
4. Use Some Ankle Weights:
They are usually used more during hanging exercises. They can also be added when you are doing leg stretching in the static-active way or slow kicking. Their purpose is to aid the lengthening of bones and toning the muscles as well. When you are using ankle weights for the first time, always start with less weight. Once you get used to it, you can add weights with confidence.
Steps To Do Sitting Exercises With Ankle Weight:
- As a starter put 10 to 15 pounds of ankle weight for each leg.
- Increase the weight gradually as the knees get to be stronger.
- In the entire process when your knees face sustained stress, your feet should never touch the ground for half an hour.
5. Perfect Your Pelvic Shift:
It is an exercise model which helps you increase your height by stimulating growth in the muscles of spinal region, abdomen, thigh and calf muscles.
Steps To Do A Pelvic Shift:
- Lie on your back with your arms and hips on the floor.
- Now bend your knees and move your feet closer to your buttocks.
- Bend your back in an arch and force your pelvic area to move upward.
Stay in this position for 20 to 30 seconds, and then repeat.
6. Try The Table Stretch:
The first thing to know about the table stretch is that it is not an exercise for beginners. So it must be done under trained supervision to avoid injuries. But yes, this exercise helps you gain height.
- Sit down on the floor while keeping your legs and torso straight.
- Now put your hands on the floor next to your hips and bring your chin to your chest.
- As you do this, raise your body in such a way that your knees bend, while your arms stay straight.
- See to it that your torso and upper legs are straight and horizontal to the floor, whereas your lower legs and arms are perpendicular to the floor.
- When you do it this way, your body gets aligned in the shape of a table.
Repeat this height gain exercise for 8 to 20 seconds.
Exercising every day from a young age is of tremendous help to increase your height. Yoga is another great exercise for increasing your height.
[Also Read: How To Look Height]
Apart from regular exercises, the ancient yoga is also there to help you in your height gain mission.
Top Yoga Poses That Help Increase Height After 18:
Our ancestors were not wrong when they suggested getting up in the wee hours of the morning to do morning asanas. Let us find out how yoga can help us grow taller and sharper.
1. Say Yes To Surya Namaskar:
Sun salutation is one of the popular yoga poses that help you stretch your body adequately. This yoga regimen includes a set of 12 poses. Perform the wellness program every day and consume a balanced diet to stay healthy and stress-free.
Benefits Of Surya Namaskar: Sun Salutation not only strengthens the muscles in your body, it calms the nerves, enhances the skin, prevents hair loss and graying of hair, and ups your overall health and longevity.
Steps To Do Surya Namaskar:
- Start with Pranamasana (or the sun salutation). For this, stand in an erect position by keeping your feet together and bring your palms close to the chest.
- In the next step Hastauttanasana, just inhale and stretch your arms over your head. Your palms are still joined, as you arch your back.
- In Padahastasana which is the next step, bend your body forward and touch the ground including a slight bend of your knees.
- The next move is Ashwa Sanchalanasana, where you need to move your left leg backward and your right knee should be semi-folded and placed between your hands.
- Under the Parvatasana, you need to take your right leg backward and bring it close to the left leg. In this position, you need to raise your buttocks and lower your head, since you are to keep your heels flat on the floor.
- In the Ashtanganamaskara (salutation with eight limbs), drop your knees to the ground. When you do that, bring your chin and chest to the ground as well. In the final shape of things, your chest, chin, toes, knees, and hands will have to touch the floor.
- Lower your hips at this stage and push your chest forward and upward in this Bhujangasana. The idea is to make your spine fully arched. Keep your abdomen part above the floor.
- Exhale and repeat the Parvatasana.
- Inhale and repeat the Ashwasanchalanasana.
- Exhale and repeat the Padahastasana.
- Inhale and get into the Hastauttanasana.
- Towards the end, exhale and end the Surya Namaskar with the Pranamasana.
2. Try The Sukhasana:
As one of the simplest and easiest asanas in yoga, Sukhasana is a happy pose which needs you to sit on the floor. You just have to sit on the floor in a cross-legged pose.
Benefits Of Sukhasana: The main benefit of this yoga pose is to make your mind calm and relax your body. It also opens out your thighs and lengthens your spine.
Steps To Do Sukhasana:
- Sit on the floor in a cross-legged position.
- See to it that your knees are bent and legs are pointing towards your torso.
- Put your hands on your knees and sit in an erect position.
- Take a deep breath, and make it a point to relax.
3. Practice The Tadasana:
In Sanskrit, Tadasana means the mountain pose. Tadasana improves both your physical and mental health.
Benefits Of Tadasana: This yoga asana helps you to stretch your spine and attain a physical and mental balance. And if you are suffering from a spinal problem, then Tadasana helps clear the congestion of the spinal nerves.
Steps To Do Tadasana:
- First of all stand straight, and keep your feet together and your spine erect.
- Clasp your hands with your fingers and inhale deeply. Stretch your hands above your head. The attempt should be so that your palms are facing the ceiling.
At this point, lift your heel and strike a balancing pose by standing on your toes. The motive should be to stretch your entire body.
4. Master The Vrikshasana:
The tree pose is all about synchronizing the mind and body. Since it is a balancing act, you need to keep your eyes open while doing this yoga pose.
Benefits of Vrikshasana: The tree pose helps you stretch your limbs and plays an instrumental role in increasing your height beyond the growth years. It improves your concentration too.
Steps To Do Vrikshasana:
- Keep your spine erect, feet together, and palms in the Namaste position.
- Lift your right leg and bend it in such a way that the sole of your right foot is placed on your left thigh. This means that your right knee should be facing outwards.
- Hold on to this position with eyes staring at an object without blinking.
- Now repeat this exercise following the same steps with your left leg.
5. Perfect The Adho Mukha Svanasana:
This yoga posture is similar to a dog bending forward. Easy yoga asana it is, which even a novice can do.
Benefits Of Adho Mukha Svanasana: When you include this yoga in your height-increasing regimen, you not only energize your body, you also lengthen your spine and tone your muscles.
Steps To Do Adho Mukha Svanasana:
- You have to use your four limbs, in such a way that it forms a table-like structure.
- Breathe out and lift your hips in a way that your body comes in an inverted ‘V’ position.
- Press your hands into the ground and stretch your neck. Turn your eye target at your navel.
- Hold this position for a while, then bend your knees and come back to the table-like position.
6. Perform The Parivrtta Trikonasana:
This yoga asana is similar to the triangle pose except that it is practiced in a reverse manner. Hence, it is also referred to as the reverse triangle pose.
Benefits Of Parivrtta Trikonasana: This yoga pose increases your height in a short period of time if practiced regularly.
Steps To Do Parivrtta Trikonasana:
- Stand with your legs apart and raise your hands in line with your body.
- Bend on to the left side while touching your toes with the right hand. Simultaneously lift your left hand up.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds.
- Similarly, bend towards the right side while touching your toes with your left hand. Lift your right hand up.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds.
- Repeat the above steps.
It is time to find out about foods which will help you meet your objective of gaining height.
Feeling hungry after reading this? There are various foods which will help you meet your objective of gaining height.
Best Foods To Increase Height After 18:
Healthy food can go miles in making you strong and tall when you have crossed puberty. Let us see what type of food helps the most in increasing height.
1. Devour Dairy Products:
Remember why our grandparents asked us to drink milk when we were young – to increase height. Not just milk, there are milk products in the form of paneer, yogurt, cheese which play a very important role in boosting our growth. Since they are packed with essential nutrients like calcium, proteins, and vitamins they aid our height gain. Milk is a health drink you need to have at least 2 glasses of every day.
2. Eat Eggs:
Just like milk aids in the increase of height, so does an egg. Rich in vitamin D, eggs help in making our bones stronger. It is a rich source of protein and helps in the repair and growth of the body. An egg is a must-have breakfast item every day.
3. Say Yes To Soybean:
This is called the common man’s meat. And, there is no harm in saying so. Soybean is a lovely example of a superfood which boosts your height, provided you consume it on a daily basis. It is a rich source of proteins, vitamins, fiber, and carbohydrates which make it a complete food and a must-have in your diet.
As far as the height gain part is concerned, the protein in soybean improves the bone and tissue density which is needed to increase height. Have about 50-55 grams of soybean daily, in multiple forms like salads, sabzi, or in the form of soy milk or tofu.
4. Go Bananas:
Now don’t think a banana is solely for the common man, and not for the elite. The humble fruit is a rich source of minerals such as potassium, calcium, and manganese that boost height gain.
5. Binge On Oatmeal:
Just like soybean, oatmeal is a great source of protein which is needed to increase height by enhancing muscle mass. So if you want to increase your height when you are over 18, try and include 50 gms of oatmeal in your breakfast on a daily basis.
6. Add Ashwagandha To Your Diet:
The Indian ginseng is an Ayurvedic formula to increase height. Ashwagandha has various minerals that help improve your bone density and thereby aid your height gain.
Mix 2 tbsp of ashwagandha in a glass of warm cow’s milk. Add sugar or jaggery to taste. Drink it at bedtime for a period of 45 days at a stretch. This will work wonders in increasing your height.
Now that you have a plethora of options to increase your height after 18, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and try them today!
Have you tried any of the above tips to gain height? How did it help you? Share your experience and tips with other health-watchers here. Stay tuned for more wellness tips!