I did a small survey on what is that one food item that women during PMS crave for the most. I asked around 50 women. While some confessed chocolates, others listed potato chips, cinnamon rolls, ice cream, chocolate chip cookies and the list was just endless. Little did they know that this hankering habit leads to weight gain and related health problems. So, it’s time, we ladies thought on how to resist those PMS cravings.
Do have a read and stay inspired to lead a healthy and fit life!
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
As the name suggests, the syndrome appears before the menstrual cycle or more commonly known as ‘periods‘. While a few women do not get this syndrome; there are many who are usually attracted to weight gaining diets, a week before their period.
How do you know if you’re affected by PMS?
You might have noticed that you are into successful dieting for three weeks in a month except for that one particular week when you succumb to irrepressible urge to munch down a few wafer packets and finish off an entire cookie packet. If you are into this eating craze before your periods every month then be confirmed that you too are suffering from PMS. You do not have to panic, as it’s a common symptom, affecting as many as 85% of women.
Good news is, with the awareness and a better understanding of PMS-related food cravings, one can save themselves from falling prey to this diet-destroying cycle. Every month I would feel frustrated when I saw my weight rise upto 700 gms to 1 kg post my periods. Only after I got to know about PMS in detail, I managed to control my cravings and keep my weight in check.
How to resist those PMS cravings?
As there are different types of food cravings such as sweet, salt and overeating, let’s find out how to control them individually –
Premenstrual sweet cravings
This can be a serious problem for women with sweet tooth. Nothing can contribute to weight gain at faster rate than sweets. For figure conscious women, sugar is their foremost enemy and those who have managed controlling their sweet cravings; have won half of the battle already.
Here are a few suggestions –
- Religiously stick to blood sugar diet. This diet will help you beat your cravings
- Check on your eating habits. It’s not only during premenstrual cycle, but you should change your eating habit i.e. try avoiding sugar and sweets as much as you can. In this way, you’ll crave less during PMS
- Replace your artificial sweeteners with natural sweet fruits. Add fruit salads to your diet
- Do not fall for emotional eating. Some women have tendency to eat chocolates when they are stressed. Let me be very frank eating sweets and chocolates does not take away your problems. So check on your emotional eating habits
Premenstrual salt cravings
Just as sweets, ladies also fall for salt cravings. As per the Dietary Guidelines for Americans we should not consume more than 2,300 mg in a day. As too much of salt not only leads to weight gain, but contributes to high blood pressure and heart diseases as well. Here are a few suggestions that will help you prevent your salt cravings –
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. By drinking plenty of water, you’ll keep your body hydrated thereby salt craving will reduce naturally
- Add mineral-rich foods to your diet – fruits, whole grains, nuts, beans and green vegetables.
- You can try seaweed. It is a natural salt source and you can get it at any health stores
- Buy real salt. You can go for Celtic sea salt, Utah mineral bed sea salt etc. that are available at health stores
So those were my top picks on how to resist those PMS cravings. Only if you could follow these suggestions, you can find a great difference in your lifestyle.