Heard of space buns? It is a popular hairstyle from the 90s. Though they are not exactly the same as the iconic ones worn by Princess Leia in the Star Wars series, the same techniques are used to create something as ethereal.
Calling all the Bettys, who want to up their style statement to check out how to go about doing space bun hairs.
How To Make Space Buns:
Here is something interesting:
Did you know space buns are also called ‘double buns’? Rightly so because you have two buns on either side separated by a hair partition.
Let us get started on space buns tutorial.
1. Space Buns For Long Hair:
- To make basic space buns, brush your hair first. Then part them, running down the center of your head from the forehead to the nape.
- Comb your hair until it is smooth and free of tangles.
- Create two pigtails. Make them high on top of your head, or make them low (depending on your comfort level).
- Secure the pigtails with hair ties. Leave some hair strands loose around your forehead for a softer look.
- Tease the pigtails if you want to add some volume to your hairstyle. For that, lift your pigtails and run a comb through them a few times, starting from the ends to the point where you have the hair ties.
- Now, twist your pigtails, one by one into a rope. The tighter you twist the rope, the sleeker your bun will be.
- Coil the rope into a bun. And secure it with a hair tie. Just make sure that you wrap it away from your face, not towards it.
- Repeat the same process for your second bun.
- To make your buns look quirky, loosen the hair and straighten it with a flat iron.
- Use a hairspray to give your space buns a fuzz-free look. Bobby pins can be used to keep the buns intact.
2. Half Up Space Buns:
- Brush your hair and do a center parting in such a way that the left half of your hair falls over your left shoulder and the right half over your right shoulder.
- Secure one half of your hair on the left side with a hair tie so that it falls on your shoulder in a tied up fashion.
- Your half up ponytail is ready. The look resembles a ‘puppy-like’ ear.
- Repeat the same pattern on the other side of your hair parting.
- Now tease your half up ponytails by lifting it and backcombing it towards the hair tie using a hairbrush.
- Twist the ponytail into a bun. The tighter it is, the smaller and sleeker the bun will look.
- Secure the buns with hair ties.
- Your half up space buns are ready to kill.
3. Space Buns For Curly Hair:
- For doing space buns for curly hair, all you need is a head full of gorgeous curls.
- Follow the steps of the basic space bun tutorial and bingo! You are ready to turn heads.
4. Braided Space Buns:
- Once again, you need to follow the steps of the basic space bun tutorial.
- The only difference is that once you have done the center parting of your hair and tied the respective hair section with a hair tie, you have to make braids and then coil it up into a bun.
- Your space buns with braids will turn you into a rock chick instantly!
Now you know how to make space buns with natural hair. Space or double buns are a huge hit with city gals because of its contemporary and chic appeal.
Celebs Flaunting The Space Buns:
It seems celebs have ditched their ponytail looks because the current hairstyle that is ruling the internet is Ariana Grande’s space buns. OMG, the singer is all set to kill in these retro style space buns.
Ariana has taken to Instagram and Snapchat to share pictures of herself that highlight the two mini buns she has on top of her head. Good reason to keep watching her now, apart from hearing her, what say?
[Also Read: How To Make The Best Low Stuffed Hair Buns Worn By Celebs]
Check out Ariana Grande in her space buns with braids.
Miley Cyrus is one more bun fanatic. She shared her space bun looks on Instagram. In fact, she wore space buns to the MTV VMA awards and became one of the first people to bring this cult hairstyle back in fashion.
The Spice Girls – Gwen Stefani and Mel B wore space buns very often in the 90s.
Katy Perry with her hair pulled back looked beautiful in these space buns.
Khloe Kardashian’s double bun look gave us the dose of glam that we’d expect from the Kardashians.
Millie Bobby Brown turned heads at the SAG awards with her nail art and space buns. Thanks to Blake Erik, her hairstylist who put up Brown’s shoulder-length hair into two sleek buns and added Jennifer Behr Satin Bow Barrettes beneath each.
Tips To Make Space Buns:
Some tips to amp up your space bun look:
- Secure your space buns with pretty hair accessories rather than boring ones. For example, check out the rose gold cuffs shown below.
- Bring the two ‘mini’ space buns closer to the top of your head, and not on the sides to ace the style game.
What do you think of the iconic space buns? Do you like it more than your regular ponytails or messy buns? Have you ever tried it out? Post your comments below.