A friend of mine visited Hyderabad last month. Prior to her 3-day visit, she had asked me to prepare a shopping itinerary for her, where she had specifically insisted that I should include Hyderabad pearl shops. She had asked me an obvious question – where to buy pearls in Hyderabad?
Even though it was not her first visit, she somehow happened to miss her favorite ‘things to do’ activity i.e. shopping at Hyderabad pearl market. Therefore, she had made sure to do some real Hyderabadi shopping during her visit i.e. pearls and bangles.
[Also Read: pearl powder benefits]
If you are putting up in Hyderabad and you have guest who is willing to buy pearls in Hyderabad, then do not shy away from asking his/her budget. This will help you filter out appropriate shopping destinations which come under their budget. Besides, also ask them their preferences like if they are looking for the original/rare pearls or the commonly sought after cultured ones.
If you are not able to give them company for some reasons say your office, then you can give them a few basic lessons on pearls which will help them understand what they are dealing with. A few tips and a brief knowledge transfer will also make them have a smarter deal, as tourists usually get carried away with the outlandish Hyderabad pearl market.
Quick tips for buying good pearls –
1. Shape and luster – The rounder the shape, the clearer the reflection because of luster and smoother the surface, the better is the quality of the pearls.
2. Don’t get carried away by fancy jargons – Sometimes, shopkeeper in order to woo the customers, use some fancy jargons to convince that their pearls are worth buying. For instance, they will ask you to put the pearls under UV light to check their genuinety i.e. white pearls will appear blue sheen, black pieces will appear green sheen and baroque ones will appear rainbow sheen.
3. Teeth test – You can rub the pearls against your teeth to confirm. While the real ones will make you feel gritty, the fake ones will slip.
4. Be a bargain prowess – Always remember to go for the best buys by bargain haunting. You can easily settle for a 30% discount but take it as a challenge to bargain it for 50% off.
Where to buy pearls in Hyderabad
If budget is not your consent then here are a few good pearls shops to explore –
Mangatrai Pearls and Jewellers
1. Punjagutta Cross Road
Hyderabad – 500 032
Road no.2, Banjara Hills
2. Shangrila Plaza,Opp. KBR Park
Hyderabad – 500 034
3. Forum Sujana Mall
Plot No. S-16, Survey No. 1009
K P H B Phase 6, Kukatpally
The Mangatrai Jewellers is one of the most renowned stores in Hyderabad. They have many branches in the city. They had received the “Jeweller of the Year” award from Perles de Tahiti. Besides, they are also listed in the global media with features on CNBC, Discovery, BBC and New York Times.
Here is what the Jewellers had this to say,
“We specialize in Pearl Jewellery Designs and gems sourced from the largest gem quality cultured pearls of Australia, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Japan, Philippines and Tahiti. Every Mangatrai pearl jewel is meticulously inspected, assorted and graded by highly trained professionals, leading to strings and strands of the highest quality. We were the first to introduce ‘The Tahitian natural colour cultured pearls’ in the market. In recognition of the same and our sustained commitment to excellence, we were felicitated by the Tahitian Government in 2005.”
2-4-26, Opposite Mahatma Gandhi Statue
Mahatma Gandhi Rd, Rani Gunj,
This is another reputed pearl shop in Hyderabad where you will get an array of designs in good and genuine quality.
Shop No. 36, Ground Floor,
Babukhan Estate Bldg,
And for the reasonably priced pearls in Hyderabad, you can visit Charminar, whose neighborhood is flanked by the much affordable Patther Gatti and Laad Bazaar. Also you will get some affordable shops around Paradise restaurant located in Secunderabad.
So those were my top picks to buy pearls in Hyderabad. Hope it helps!