So you want to wear all those hot and sexy bottom-wear to look like a perfect leggy lass. But oh those big, bulky calves! They are so large and poorly proportioned that you end up looking ugly. Well, all you need to do is work on your calf muscles such as gastrocnemius (the large and meaty outer muscle) and soleus (the small and precise inner muscle) in order to bring them back into shape.
Very recently, we had discussed in detail some effective exercises to slim down thighs. Today we’ll talk about calf muscle exercises without weights. Basically, this article talks about how to get calf muscles. We at Fashionlady are always ready to help you look fit and beautiful.
Best Calf Exercises for Women
Check out the following calf exercises to get a pair of perfectly-shaped legs. You can do these calf exercises at home as well.
1. Standing Calf Raise
Whether you are standing in a queue or simply talking over phone, this basic exercise can be performed anytime anywhere for toning up your calves.
- Stand upright on the floor by keeping your legs parallel to each other.
- Raise your legs up very slowly and put the weight of your body on the balls of your feet.
- Now, lower your legs gradually and try to feel your body weight while doing this.
- Practice 3 sets of 18 reps.
2. Calf Raise on Step
This is an improved version of the previous exercise in which you can easily feel stretch in your gastrocnemius muscle and achieve well-toned calves eventually.
[Also ReadExercises To Do At Your Desk]
- Place an aerobic step on the ground in front of a wall or a stand so that you can balance your body during the exercise.
- Stand at the back of the step with your heels hung off it.
- Hold the wall or the stand with one of your hands and raise your toes up to put your body weight completely on the balls of your feet.
- Now, lower them gradually until they reach the floor.
- Again, lift them up and stand onto the balls of your feet.
- Practice 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
3. Seated Calf Raise with Dumbbells
Perfectly toned calves are actually stronger calves and this exercise will help you get them without fail. It works on the soleus muscle and enhances the endurance of our calves greatly.
- Sit straight on a chair or an exercise ball by placing your feet flat on the ground and making right angles with your knees.
- Take two dumbbells (each should be of 10 lbs or more) in both of your hands and place them on the upper sections of your knees.
- Lift your legs up very slowly to balance them onto the balls of your feet. Make sure that you squeeze your calf muscles during this step.
- Wait for a few seconds and then return to the initial position.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 times in one go.
[Also Read: How To Get Flat Abs With Exercises]
4. Jumping Rope
Find a simple jumping rope and you will be all set to get a pair of super toned calves. This is also one of the best calorie-burning exercises you can ever practice.
- Stand erect on the floor by keeping the legs attached together.
- Hold the ends of the rope with your hands placed by the sides of your body and elbows relaxed.
- Let the rope lie behind your body. Tuck your chin up and keep your eyes fixed on the floor.
- Start jumping and squeeze both of your shoulder blades at the same time.
- Build up the pace gradually and carry on the practice for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Jump Squat
Adding a jump to the regular squat can result into a highly effective plyometric exercise. And guess what? You can work your calf muscles amazingly in this way.
- Stand straight on the ground with your arms at the sides of your body.
- Push your hips out behind you and bring your knees at right angles with the floor to sink yourself into a regular squat position.
- Now, jump up and make your body straight simultaneously.
- Return to the initial position and repeat.
6. Lunge Pulse
Lunges are definitely for shaping up your thighs and glutes. But when you add pulses to it, you get strong and toned calves.
- Stand upright on the floor and get into a lunge position by taking a step forward with your right leg.
- Your right foot should be placed flat on the floor with the knee making a right angle.
- Now, bend your left leg back so that it rests on the toe and the knee points downwards.
- While doing this, pulse your back knee up and down a couple of inches.
- Practice 2 sets of 12 reps.
So these were some effective calf exercises for women. Sexy, curvaceous calves are calling you! Start exercising today and discover a new you!