What can a strong pair of legs give you? Proper balance, stabilized joints, injury-free workout session, and of course higher level of self-confidence. So, working on your leg muscles and making them stronger is of utmost importance. Let us tell you how to get well-built and well-toned legs by practicing some simple exercises at home:
Lunge is that one and only exercise that can work on all your leg muscles (i.e. quadriceps, calf muscles and hamstrings) efficiently and make the entire limb stronger with least effort.
- Stand upright by keeping your feet shoulder-width apart and holding your waist with your hands.
- Take a long step by placing your right foot forward at a considerably larger distance.
- At the same time, start lowering your body gradually until the left knee almost reaches the ground.
- Both of your legs should make an angle of 90 degrees with each other. Keep your right knee at the back of the toes and the left one lined up under the hip.
- Transfer the weight of your whole body to your front leg slowly and then, return back to the initial position by lifting your body up with the help of the leg muscles.
- Practice 3 sets of 10 reps.
- Change the positions of the legs and repeat.
[Also Read: Exercises To Do At Your Desk]
[Also Read: Thigh Exercises For Women]
2. Bodyweight Squat
This is a very simple form of squat in which our own body weight works as resistance. It is intended for making the quadriceps muscles of our legs stronger.
- Stand straight on the floor by placing your feet slightly more than hip-width apart. Your toes should be turned a little out.
- Make your body stable by squeezing your stomach muscles. Also, put your body weight on your heels and bring a balance by lifting your arms up to the level of your shoulders.
- Now, lower your body gradually as if you are sitting on a chair. You should bend it right at your hip joint and drop your buttocks until the thighs become parallel to the ground.
- Hold the position for a few seconds with your back erect, stomach tightened and chest stuck out.
- Slowly return to the previous position.
- Practice 2 to 3 sets of 15 reps.
3. Plie Squat
- This is another form of squat that can make your leg muscles, especially the hamstrings and the quadriceps, stronger and well-toned.
- Stand upright on the ground by keeping your feet shoulder-distance apart. Hold your waist with both of your hands.
- Now, increase the distance between your feet by moving them in opposite directions. Or, simply take a small step outward with any one of your legs.
- Position your legs so that they form the shape of a wide ‘V’.
- Keep your back erect and lower your body to some extent. Hold the position for 4 to 5 seconds.
- Raise your body and return to the starting position.
- Practice 3 sets of 20 reps.
4. Calf Raises
As the name implies, this exercise targets both of our calf muscles i.e. soleus and gastrocnemius. It is super easy and you can practice it anywhere without any equipment.
- Stand straight on the floor by keeping your feet hip-distance apart.
- Start lifting your heels up, while shifting the weight of your whole body to your toes slowly and steadily. In this posture, you should be standing totally on your tiptoes.
- Now, place your hands on your hips and balance your body properly. Your spine should be straight but keep your knees a little bent.
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Then, get back to the initial position by lowering your heels to the floor slowly.
- Practice 2 to 3 sets of 30 reps.
[Also Read: Effective Calf Exercises For Women]
5. Step Ups
Here is another exercise that can work on all the muscles of your legs and increase the overall strength significantly. The height of the step can be raised as you go ahead.
- Keep a step platform on the floor and stand straight in front of it. Place your arms by the sides of your body, with your shoulders pushed back and abdomen squeezed tightly.
- Raise your right leg and place that foot on the step platform.
- Transfer the weight of your entire body to your right leg, while keeping your spine erect.
- Now, put your right knee and right butt out in order to make them straight.
- At the same time, raise your left leg and bring it on the step platform in order to place the left foot onto it.
- Wait for 4 to 5 seconds. Then, step down by moving your right leg in the reverse direction followed by your left leg.
- Practice 15 to 20 sets by altering the lead leg.
Stronger legs signify a stable body. And all that mean a more confident you.
So, are you ready?