How many times did you get poked by your underwire? Ugh! One gets the feeling of almost throwing away the damn bra, thinking that’s the end of it. Wrong! Why not get smart instead and know How To Repair An Underwire Bra.
How to get the bra back in business? Well, getting the bra wire repair done is not time-consuming as you thought. It’s a matter of few minutes.
Why suffer from the painful poke in your ribs when you can nip it in the bud?
Let’s get started.
Parts Of Underwire Bra – An Overview
A lingerie item is not just one piece. It is made of several parts and pieces which enhance the overall fit of the bra. Take a look how.
|Cups||Main part of the bra that sits over the bust||Provide bust support and shaping|
|Underwire||Wire support under the cups||Provide additional support and shaping|
|Band||Wraps around chest; holds cups and wings||Affects the overall fit of the bra|
|Wings||Fabric attached to the cups and hooks and eyes||Wrap around the body to close the bra|
|Hooks and eyes||Closure at the back of bra||Secure the bra|
|Bra straps||Connect cup to wing; sit over shoulders||Provide support and improve fit|
|Strap rings and adjusters||Plastic or metal hardware on straps||Loosen or tighten straps|
|Central Panel||Piece of fabric between the two cups||Attaches cups togethera|
Having shown you the big picture, let us now get to the corrective measures which can help in How To Repair An Underwire Bra.
Method 1 – Moleskin Patch
- Buy moleskin padding (small not big-sized). It is usually available at the foot section of drugstores in multiple skin colors. Though it is used to pad corns and calluses, this time you are going to use it to fix your bra.
- Cut a strip of the moleskin (which should be large enough to patch the hole). Also round off the corners of the moleskin so that the fabric doesn’t poke you.
- Now poke the underwire back in once you have found the place where the wire is sticking out. Do it in such a way that the wire cannot be spotted out.
- Cover up the hole by first peeling off the paper backing off the moleskin. Then putting the sticky-side of the strip over the hole. Smooth the patch using your fingers.
- The application of moleskin patch is done.
Method 2 – Fabric Patch
- Cut a small piece of fabric. The purpose is to patch the hole.
- The fabric patch should be similar to the color of your bra (so that it blends in better).
- Now cut a fabric adhesive (which should be the same size as that of the fabric strip).
- Peel off one side of the paper backing on the adhesive strip. This will reveal the sticky strip of adhesive.
- Adhere the strip to the fabric and round off the corners.
- Push the wire back in the bra.
- Put the fabric strip on by removing the paper backing from other side of the adhesive. Place the sticky-side of the strip over the hole.
- The method of how to repair bra underwire poking out is done.
Method 3 – Sewing
This process needs an underwire bra repair kit which comprises of bra repair hook and eye.
- Thread a needle first. What kind of thread should be used? It can be thick thread or double thread it for extra strength. Yes, do knot the end of the thread so that it doesn’t pull through the fabric
- Find the place where the underwire is sticking out. Push it back in, all the way through.
- Since the edges are together, start sewing them.
- Take a bit of nail polish or fabric glue in order to reinforce the previous steps.
- Let the substance dry (nail polish or glue)
- You are done.
Method 4 – Bra Angel Kit
The bra angel repair kit comes of use when you are in an SOS situation. It is a lil device which can help you tackle those small emergencies (unexpected ones) and can stop your bra wire from continually poking through.
How To Escape the Underwire Problem in Future
Sharing three of the available options with you:
Option A: You can evade the problem of underwire for bra to repair by removing it entirely. For this, you need to make a little hole in the fabric in the same spot on the other cup. Once done, remove the second underwire, too.
Option B: Buy non-underwire bras. Explore options from Modern Movement Hidden Comfort No-Wire Bra, Playtex Women’s Secrets Perfectly Smooth Wire Free Bra and yes, many options from Victoria’s Secret.
Option C: Going bra-less is yet another option which can be considered, even if the 1970s bra-burning episode was more than a myth.
How To Avoid The Underwire Bra Problem
Read this line from the American based bra manufacturer Wacoal “An underwire will usually poke through a garment for one of two reasons: Either you are wearing the wrong size or you are washing the garment incorrectly.”
Well said, and how!
A little more of the insight from Italian lingerie maker La Perla which says that all their underwire bras have a protective rubber tip. “This rubber tip protects the garment and one’s skin from being exposed to the sharp edge of the wire. After being circulated in a washing machine, the fabric rubs again the rubber tip, wearing out the tip and the fabric, often causing the wire to become exposed.”
Looking after your correctly-sized bras is your best bet if you want to keep those sharp underwires where they belong.
Hope you liked these tips on How To Repair An Underwire Bra. Share it, pin it, give it a try. And do let us know how you found it by writing the comments.
Information Source: www.wikihow.com
Watch this short video on How to fix bra underwires. Don’t just like it, but implement it too. All the best!