With the new session starting in college, it’s sure a thrilling experience readying your wardrobe to show your style. College fashion is all about being comfortable in your own skin and experimenting with your looks. Well, most teenagers love to keep themselves updated with the hottest trends of the season. From Hollywood divas to the Bollywood beauties, all seem to be an inspiration for the teen brigade or the PYT’s who love to dress to impress.
Most teenagers have fashion on their mind and crave to spruce up their style quotient, irrespective of the season! Here are some simple ways to brush up on the latest trends, to show your fashionable side to your college mates.
- A trusty little black dress in your closet is a key piece on your fashion radar. Keep your eyes out while shopping for a classic, versatile knee-length sleeveless sheath style. Just make sure it’s not short and doesn’t show cleavage. Pair it off with pumps, neckpiece and a blazer for a perfect internship or after college part-time work. Or gift yourself a white button down shirt with the LBD to give yourself a new look.
[Also Read: Move over LBD, Here comes the Little red Dress]
- Invest in varied kind of dresses, to get you through from prom nights to brunches and coffee with friends. Embrace maxi dresses, high-low style dresses and mid-length frock style, pencil or sheath dresses.
- Often teenagers feel that they cannot wear traditional attires to college, as they may look matured for their age. This is not the case, pick up an embellished or embroidered tunic or shirtdress and pair it up with leggings.
- Pick out leather outfits, leather skinny jeans, belts, to dresses and skirts, faux leather vests; this fabric is here to stay. Most often we feel that leather clothing can be pricey and difficult to maintain, but it nevertheless exudes a glamorous look to carry you from day to night with ease.
[Also Read: How to Combine Leather and Lace]
- Sheer blouses are trending this year, and can be teamed up with everything from culottes, flared pants, floral skirts, jeans to bright minis & shorts.
- Shirts are a must have in college wardrobe; they give out a street smart and playful vibe. From the classy whites to the red checks, they transform you in a matter of minutes if teamed up with the right bottoms.
- If looking trendy and feeling comfortable is your mantra, embrace loose printed pants or palazzo pants.
[Also Read: How To Wear Baby Pink]
- Fun skirts are the order of the day. Chiffon pleated or patterned maxi skirt, a fit or flared one, tulip hem or asymmetrical skirt. Pick a pattern, a texture or a color that is multipurpose and can work with an assortment of items in your closet. Pair them up with crop tops or singlets and you are good to go!
- Skinny, boyfriend, and trouser-style jeans, classic pair of dark-wash, boot-cut jeans or even dungarees can be the coolest pair of bottoms in your wardrobe. From hard days at college to coffee meets with friends, jeans are timeless additions to any teen’s wardrobe.
- Well, if you are bored of midi skirts and shorts, embrace the culottes which are quite the rage this season. The trendy mid-length half pants can look super cool on any body type. You can wear them with white shirts, tank tops, printed or same hue tops, and even add a blazer to the look.
- Jumpsuits can add life to your wardrobe. They are versatile, easy to wear and perfect any season’s wear! Just throw in a denim jacket or shrug, or wear it as it is in any length, from short to mid-length to a long jumpsuit and you are ready to rock the world. Jumpsuits come in denims, printed cotton, polyester, silk and even rayon fabric.
[Also Read: A Style Guide On Jumpsuits For Plus Size Women]
- Prints are a rage amongst teens. From bird prints, animal, graphics, floral, psychedelic to the good ol polkas. Do it by mixing prints together. And if you love hues in your wardrobe, go for the neon hues in quirky prints and you will have heads turning your way instantly.
- Reap the fringe benefits; flirt around with fringes this season. Add hot fringes to your outfits, from fringe kimono or vests to fringe hemline tops and skirts to the bags.
- Don’t we all love layering? A cape, kimono is a must have in any teenager’s bag.
- Cross body purses or sling purses are a must for young teens. You can even carry tote bags to carry your world of books, makeup, glares, extra clothing and accessories.
- Scarves are one of those things that most people don’t particularly buy. But, an outfit looks complete with just the simple addition of a scarf! They can even double up as a bandana.
- As for the footwear, every teenager needs a pair of gladiators, ballet flats, sneakers, flip flops, wedge heels, pumps and oxfords to match every outfit in your wardrobe. No girl in the world should go without a pair of wearable, classic, and basic stilettos, or black heels in their closet. These babies will be your best friends from first dates to first jobs, weddings to holidays, just make sure they are comfortable to the hilt.
Ace Designer Shehla Khan feels the colors for this season for the teens are close to skin tone, flowing into muted pastels. White is and always will be a summer favorite but the colours which will also stand out this season are champagne pink, fuchsia, faded red, mint green, black and baby blue. “One must keep the heat and the humidity in mind. If you opt for bright colours then one should pair with pastels to achieve a good balance. Embroideries must also be cleverly planned to be light in weight but have high impact. Beautiful embroideries and embellishments can be played across fitted dresses thus achieving a quaint yet chic look,” explains Shehla.
According to the designer lace is here to stay! Lace is the perfect fabric to wear if you wish to look stylish yet relaxed and elegant while making a statement that spells luxury. Romantic and fresh for the season, lace on pretty day dresses, short cocktail dresses to sensual see-through gowns and blouses are ideal.