It is one of the healthiest “super foods” in the world. Mexico is its place of origin, as early as 500 B.C. They say eating this particular fruit once a day keeps you in the pink of health, and yummy-looking by smoothing your skin. It boosts immunity, improves blood circulation, and keeps hormones in balance. But what is this? It’s Avocado oil!
What Is Avocado Oil?
Avocado oil is the extract of avocado fruit. Better put, it is the natural oil pressed from the pulp of an avocado. As edible oil, it is packed with nutrients and vitamins. The avocado oil has 77% of an avocado’s overall calorie content. So many nutrients are there in avocado oil, that you can safely expect it to be a fantastic remedy for skin and hair.
Important Nutrients In Avocado Oil
Soaked in nutrients and healthy fats, this is what avocado oil is, in a nutshell. Let’s check out what the nutrients are:
- Oleic acid (in other words, the monounsaturated fatty acid found in abundance in avocado oil) nourishes and hydrates your skin inside out)
- Lutein (antioxidant and carotenoid which makes the avocado oil extremely beneficial for eyes)
- Plenty of riboflavin, thiamine, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and potassium
- Multitude of vitamins – such as Vit. A, B, C, E, & K.
- Some amount of fiber and protein
- Beneficial phytochemicals such as beta-sitosterol, glutathione
Background part over, it’s the ‘avocado oil skin benefits’ time:
Benefits Of Avocado Oil For Skin
The oil of avocado is not just the healthiest oil on the planet, it is superb for the skin:
1. Calm itchy skin and Inflammation
Because it is high in oleic acid, avocado oil is the answer to itchy and inflamed skin.
2. Heal chapped skin
Considering the moisturizing nature of avocado oil, the nutrients in the oil get easily absorbed in the skin and dermis, thereby healing chapped skin.
3. Smoothening of Skin
Since avocado oil is rich in fatty acids and vit E, it helps in smoothening the skin and moisturising it too.
4. Replenish dry skin
Is your skin hungry and crying out for ample moisture? Apply avocado oil.
5. Boosts Collagen Production (Anti Aging Product)
Collagen is crucial in making your skin look firm. In the Avocado oil skin benefits, this is the prime one as it enhances the production of collagen, leaving your skin smooth and rejuvenated. It also combats “age-related” signals and warnings such as fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Hydrate and moisturize skin
Talk of one great thing about avocado oil? It soothes irritated skin, but the best part is that it provides moisture for dry skin.
7. For acne treatment
Fatty acids and proteins in avocado oil have penetrative power. They remove the blocked skin pores containing impurities and cure inflamed skin, the root cause of acne.
8. As a sunscreen
Excess of sun bathing and inadequate UV protection can lead to sunburn. Avocado oil acts as a natural sunscreen and soothes sunburned skin, too.
9. Strengthens your skin
Minerals and vitamins loaded, avocado oil has sufficient ingredients to strengthen your skin inside out.
10. Removes dark circles
Stress, sleepless nights and overexposure to computer screens can lead to dark circles. Thanks to the anti-aging property of avocado oil, you can happily see fading of wrinkles and fine lines from your face.
11. Protect against skin damage
Whether it is dry, dehydrated or damaged skin or the harmful effect of UV rays, you can reduce and reverse the signs of skin cancer by applying avocado oil.
12. Treats eczema and psoriasis
Inflamed and irritated skin is a sign of eczema. Psoriasis leads to scaly skin with red, inflamed border. Avocado oil because of its high fatty acid content reduces the symptoms of both these skin ailments.
13. Heals Cuts, Wounds and Scars:
Suffering from painful and irritated wounds on your skin? Avocado oil is there to speed up the healing process.
Some More Avocado Oil Uses For Your Skin
You mean to say, avocado oil is skin-licious? Read on for avocado oil skin benefits and recipes and find out.
1. As a lotion for chapped skin
What all you need: Avocado Oil
- Take your bath first.
- Dried your skin with towel? Sounds good.
- Now massage a good amount of avocado oil into your skin.
How it works: Avocado oil rehydrates dry and chapped skin to soft and supple one.
Tip: You have two options – either use the avocado oil by itself or pour a few drops of it to your everyday body lotions. Simple!
2. As a facial oil moisturizer
What all you need: Avocado Oil, other nourishing oils like Tamanu or Emu, and a bottle
- Start by filling two-thirds of a 1-ounce bottle with avocado oil.
- Now pick any other nourishing oil (as mentioned above) and use it to fill the last part of the bottle.
- Add 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil (lavender or rose).
- Put the cap on the bottle.
- Shake it well.
- Now pour a few drops of this homemade treated avocado oil on your palms.
- Apply it on your face.
How it works: When your face is battling enough of environment and pollution, give it a much-needed relief by applying avocado oil as a moisturiser on face.
Tip: Not just face, you can use this facial oil moisturiser on your hands too. Keep the bottle away from sunlight so that it can last a year.
3. As homemade facial mask
What all you need: Avocado (ripe), Avocado Oil, water (lukewarm to warm).
- Cut and slice an avocado into small cubes.
- Add a few drops of avocado oil to it.
- Now using a fork or knife, mash it into an even paste.
- Apply the paste to your face.
- After 10-15 minutes, wash off the homemade avocado mask with warm water.
How it works: Face mask is done in order to rejuvenate the skin and bring back the lost charm, isn’t it? Avocado oil comes to aid with sure shot success.
Tip: Instead of warm water, you can also use a face cleanser, depending on your skin type.
4. As a natural anti-aging skin cream
What all you need: 1/4 cup Avocado Oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp beeswax, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil, 1 tbsp Shea butter
- Mix all the ingredients as above in a glass jar.
- Put the jar (open) in a pot already filled with four inches of water.
- Bring it to a simmer.
- Stir the ingredients as they melt in the jar.
- Once melted, pour the cream into a smaller jar.
- Let it sit till the mixture hardens.
- Put the lid on the jar.
- Now store the cream in a cool place.
How it works: Plump up the face and skin – this is what avocado oil delivers beautifully.
5. Makeup remover
What all you need: Avocado Oil, Cotton Ball
- Dip a small cotton ball in avocado oil
- Now cleanse your face with it, slowly and gently
- For eye makeup especially, you can moisten your face with warm water first before applying avocado oil
How it works: The face looks so clean of dirt and impurities, it is worth trying out avocado oil.
Now for the tricky and sensitive part. Let’s find out about the risks and side-effects of Avocado oil.
Risks and Precautions
External factors such as sensitive skin or scalp, and allergy are some of the key elements which come as a barrier in using any skin or hair product. The same logic applies to using avocado oil. What is the extent of side effects of avocado oil? Pretty scarce. God! That’s a big relief. Nevertheless, there are few risk factors on avocado oil, which you should know.
Risk & Precaution 1: Heard of ‘latex allergy’? This is related to certain food items such as avocados, bananas, kiwis, chestnuts, and passion fruit. So if you are allergic to latex, then you should strictly avoid avocado.
Risk & Precaution 2: Are you on blood thinners, like Warfarin? Consult your doctor/medical practitioner before you take avocado oil internally, as the oil of avocado decreases the effectiveness of this medication.
A patch test is highly recommended, in case your skin is sensitive to any particular oil, such as avocado oil.
So how kicked are you on trying Avocado oil? Write in and comment and share your experiences as well.
Moringa Oil Benefits For Health, Hair, Skin And Nails
Fish Oil for Hair, Skin & Health Benefits
Castor Oil Benefits For Hair, Skin, Eye And Health
Olive Oil Benefits For Hair, Skin, Face And Health
Benefits Of Flaxseed Oil For Skin, Hair And Health
Refined Coconut Oil vs Unrefined Coconut Oil
Jojoba Oil Benefits For Skin And Hair
Benefits And Uses Of Peppermint Oil