“Luxury is in each detail”, said one of the most successful designers of our time, Hubert De Givenchy.
Wait a minute; did you just pronounce his name Gi-ven-chi? I am secretly hoping you didn’t, but if at all you did, then you have to read this one till the end, and keep referring to it, till the time you get them all right.
We all have experienced that one moment of awkwardness, when just to flaunt our fashion knowledge; we mispronounced an “IT’ brand name, only to be embarrassed thereafter.
We don’t blame you ladies, after all with so many French, German and Italian high end brands, it can be tough for the best of us to pronounce these difficult brand names.
10 Commonly Mispronounced Brand Names
- Christian Dior: often mispronounced as “kristeen die-or”, the second word is where most the people get stuck.
Correct Pronunciation: Kris – chin Dee – or
2. Givenchy: often mispronounced as “Give-en-chi”. Owing to its French origin, the brand is to be spelled in a different way.
Correct pronunciation: Jee – von – shee
3. Lanvin: often mispronounced as “lan-vin” or “lo-wen”, this one actually fails a lot when it’s about the correct brand pronunciation.
Correct pronunciation: Lohn – Vaahn
4. Hermes: often mispronounced as “her-miss” or “her-meez”, the ‘H’ in this French brand is actually silent.
Correct pronunciation: Air – mez
5. Louis Vuitton: often mispronounced as “loois viton”, the ‘S’ in Louis is meant to be silent for this French origin high end luxury brand.
Correct Pronunciation: “Loo – wee Ve-tan”
6. Louboutin: often mispronounced as “loius buttins”, this famous footwear brand is one of the most difficult brand names to pronounce.
Correct pronunciation: “loo – boo – taan”
7. Yves Saint Laurent: often mispronounced as “wives saint lorent”, this complicated brand is a tongue twister for most. Make sure you notice the silent T in both Saint and Laurent.
Correct Pronunciation: “eeves saen loh-ren”
8. Adiads: often mispronounced as “aey-dee-daas”, this popular German sportswear brand is one of the most commonly mispronounced brands.
Correct Pronunciation: “aah- dee – daas”
9. Amazon: often mispronounced as “amah-zon”, most of the people often get the latter wrong.
Correct pronunciation: “ama – zun”
10. Nike: often mispronounced as “na – ik”, this American sportswear brand is always struggle with its correct pronunciation.
Correct Pronunciation: “nai-ki”
We heart you, and updating you with Fashion, is a business we take very seriously. To ensure you are acquainted with all the luxury brand pronunciation in accordance with their origin, we have compiled for you a quick brand pronunciation dictionary of sorts.
Abercrombie & Fitch: ae-bar-combie n fich
J.Crew: je kru
Tommy Hilfiger: ta-mi hilfiger
Marc Jacobs: mark jecubs
Calvin Klein: kalvin klian
Ralph Lauren: ralf lo-rain
Anna Sui: aena swi
Anya Hindmarch: anea haindmarch
Christian Dior: kris-chin dee-or
Jean Paul Gautier: jon paul gotier
Kookai : ku-kai
Louis Vuitton: lui vetan
Yves Saint Lauren: eevez saen loran
Dolce & Gabbana: dolche n gabana
Ermenigildo Zegna: ermeni-jil-do zeinia
Manolo Blahnik: manou-lo bla-nik
If you still find yourself struggling with these brand pronunciations, then we suggest you put your headphones on and watch the brand pronunciation audio again.
This video will help you learn the right pronunciation so that the next time you wish to flaunt your knowledge of luxury brands, you can do it with confidence, like a pro.