Well-kept hands speak a lot about you. And so do the nails. There are so many of us who are nail colour freaks considering the pop of colours we keep on trying. With summers catching up on us, we need to think a little about their care part too before the mercury levels start chewing up on our nails. Here we go with a couple of tips.
Check your Nail Habits
- Soap makes our nails go dry and brittle. Keep nourishing them by using a moisturising lotion or hand cream once you have washed your hands with soap or after you have used detergent for washing clothes.
- Nail biting is a bad practice so quit it as it harms the health of your nails and cuticles.
- Nail dryness can be detrimental to the nail cuticles. Keep applying cream or lotion on the cuticles to prevent any harm.
- Do not trim nails after taking a bath as water ends up softening the nails making them liable to shredding when you are clipping them.
- Don’t get into the habit of cutting cuticles with a nail cutter or from teeth. You will just worsen the situation.
- Avoid smoking as tobacco is known to discolour the nails. How would it look if your teeny nails start to look yellow? Ugh….isn’t it?
Watch your Diet
- Our external beauty depends on the amount of water we take in a day. Drink plenty of water (approximately 8-10 glasses a day) and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables (ideally fresh) if you want your nails to be nourished from within.
- Calcium and protein intake is very important for healthy nails. Therefore, taking milk and milk-based products is a must each day if you want your nails to be in the pink of health.
- Increase your daily intake of the super-food Beetroot. The benefits of beetroot include providing both, Calcium and Vitamin D to make your nails look gorgeous.
- Carrots are a big help in strengthening nails. That’s because they are high in calcium and phosphorus. Drink carrot juice, or eat carrots as a salad or in the form of cooked vegetables.
- Foods having Folic acid such as citrus fruits, berries, whole grains go a long way in making nails stronger and healthier. So make it appoint to include them in your diet.
Nail Care Tips
Here are a couple of nail care recommendations for your nails that will make them the subject of attention when followed:
a. Nair Hardener: Use them sparingly as they can do more damage than good. Massage your nails with natural oil such as Vitamin E from time to time to give them the required health and flexibility.
b. Acetone-based Nail Polish Removers: If you have brittle nails, avoid them since they end up making the nails brittle. Make sure to cure weak and brittle nails.
c. Change Shampoos: Shampoos are the culprit when it comes to nails giving away due to dryness, brittleness. That’s because they have detergents that strip your hair of vitals oils needed for nourishment. Condition your nails with cuticle oil after each time you shampoo your hair.
d. Biotin Supplements: Found in Vitamin B, biotin supplements contribute to increasing nail thickness and prevent splitting and breaking of nails. 2.5 mg of biotin taken daily for few months (on doctor’s advice) helps in improving nails.
e. Avoid putting nail polish before bedtime: Give a time gap of two hours when your nails have dried up after application of nail polish and when you are about to sleep. This will make your manicure last long.
Celebrate your love for manicures and fluorescent nail colours. But keep in mind the do’s and don’ts you need to follow before you get to flaunt kiss-ready nails.